Fuel injector cleaning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skippyman

Hi All,
I just had my car (diesel VW Jetta) in for servicing and they said they ran some fuel injector cleaner thru the fuel filter and added some to the fuel tank to clean and keep clean the fuel injectors. I asked if the chemical would work on a bobcat (743) and the mechanic figured it would. He even called the distributor of the chemical and asked and the guy said he had a bobcat and used it himself. So, I bought a quart of the stuff.
Now my mechanic said to run some udiluted thru the fuel filter. And then add some to the fuel tank. Adding it to the fuel tank I can handle, but running it thru the fuel filter with the engine running? How does one do this? This is my guess, can you tell me if I'm close?
1. Start the engine
2. close the fuel valve under the tank
3. remove the hose going into the filter and quickly (before the engine stalls, will I have time?) pour the injector cleaner in (using a funnel probably).
4. When done, the engine will stall, hook up the fuel hose, open the fuel valve and bleed the air out of the system as the service manual describes.
How close am I?
Oh ya, one more thing, did I waste my money and will I be wasting my time or damaging anything if I do this?
Thanks in advance
B

Tazza

Staff member
The only injector cleaner i have used was the one you add to a tank of fuel. I don't know if its bad if you get the concentration too high.
Do note, injector cleaner will only clean small amounts of gunk out. If the injector is already spraying incorrectly it will not fix this. Its good as a preventative though.

perry

The only injector cleaner i have used was the one you add to a tank of fuel. I don't know if its bad if you get the concentration too high.
Do note, injector cleaner will only clean small amounts of gunk out. If the injector is already spraying incorrectly it will not fix this. Its good as a preventative though.
Which cleaner is recommended??

sterlclan

Which cleaner is recommended??
option 2 remove old filter get new one fill with cleaner install and run. we use an additive called 911 and fill the filter with it when changing them no trouble ....Yet. heck a diesel will run cooking oil why not injector cleaner.........Jeff