Foam Filled Tires only need to replace 2

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dougk

The s185 I just purchased has 4 foam filled tires, the front 2 foam filled tires need to be replaced. Should I replace them with foam filled or can I replace them with air filled tires? Should the tread pattern match exactly or can it be similiar? thanks Doug

Bandit1047

I believe you should replace all four tires at the same time. Each side runs off a drive motor turning a set of chains and if your tires are two differnt sizes, you are putting stress on the chains. If you can't possibly purchase 4 tires, you may put the old tires on one side and the new tires on the other side. One of the experts here should tell you if I am on point or full of bull. I would want to know how much thread is on the tires that don't need replacing B-4 making a decision. Take an old tire and make a chalk mark dead center with the ground on the tire and the ground. Roll it till the mark is center with the ground and mark the ground. Now do this with a new tire and see how much farther the mark is. This should show how much chain stress there will be if you run two differnt size tires. Since you are already running two differnt sizes due to the wear of the front tires, I would think you have already put stress on those drive chains. The fact that the fronts are worn could mean that they have more tendency to spin and not put as much stress on the chains as new tires since the deeper thread on the new tires would have more bite resulting in more chain stress. Foam is used to prevent flats. If that is a factor than get them filled. I do not run foam so I don't know of any other advatage.
Sorry for running on, I just can't help it.
Joe

OldMachinist

I believe you should replace all four tires at the same time. Each side runs off a drive motor turning a set of chains and if your tires are two differnt sizes, you are putting stress on the chains. If you can't possibly purchase 4 tires, you may put the old tires on one side and the new tires on the other side. One of the experts here should tell you if I am on point or full of bull. I would want to know how much thread is on the tires that don't need replacing B-4 making a decision. Take an old tire and make a chalk mark dead center with the ground on the tire and the ground. Roll it till the mark is center with the ground and mark the ground. Now do this with a new tire and see how much farther the mark is. This should show how much chain stress there will be if you run two differnt size tires. Since you are already running two differnt sizes due to the wear of the front tires, I would think you have already put stress on those drive chains. The fact that the fronts are worn could mean that they have more tendency to spin and not put as much stress on the chains as new tires since the deeper thread on the new tires would have more bite resulting in more chain stress. Foam is used to prevent flats. If that is a factor than get them filled. I do not run foam so I don't know of any other advatage.
Sorry for running on, I just can't help it.
Joe
Bandit is correct you should always run tires with the same amount of wear on the same side or you will put excess strain on the drive chains.
The other advantage to running foam filled tires is that they add ballast weight.