Flushing Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HEAVYD

What is the proper way to flush a hydraulic system I have an 04 Cat 257b is there a drain bolt under the pump? My right drive motor went and I wanna make sure nothing that would affect my system is in there so I wanna flush it.

Tazza

Staff member
If the motor was chewed up, you may still have particles in the pumps and hoses. There is no way to get it all short of pulling the lines and pumps, then flushing them out.
If you didn't want to do that and take the risk, you could always leave the motor hoses off and in a bucket, start the machine at idle and operate the drive on that side, pump oil through it to get as much trash as you can out.
I'm not saying this will fix all the problems, but its better than just slapping a new motor on and hoping for the best.
Good luck with it though!

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

If the motor was chewed up, you may still have particles in the pumps and hoses. There is no way to get it all short of pulling the lines and pumps, then flushing them out.
If you didn't want to do that and take the risk, you could always leave the motor hoses off and in a bucket, start the machine at idle and operate the drive on that side, pump oil through it to get as much trash as you can out.
I'm not saying this will fix all the problems, but its better than just slapping a new motor on and hoping for the best.
Good luck with it though!
Would that harm the machine by running it with out it hooked up to the pump? Thank you for the info

Tazza

Staff member
Would that harm the machine by running it with out it hooked up to the pump? Thank you for the info
I assume you mean drive motor, I don't believe it would. Fresh oil will be drawn in to replace the oil that is ejected out into the bucket. Just run the machine at idle and shut it down as soon as there is any spluttering. Spluttering is a sign that the oil level is low.
Make sure you swap the main oil filter afterwards too, i'm sure you would anyway.
A possible better way could be to disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid so the engine will not start. With the machine jacked up push the steering lever forward, disengage the brake, then crank the engine. It won't start but it should start pumping oil out. Pull the lever back and do the same.
Don't crank the engine for too long like this as it does put a strain on the starter. I can't remember what they recommend, but its like 30 second crank, then let it cool for 5 minutes? or something like that. If worried, feel the starter, if its hot let it cool.
Hopefully this will help.

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

I assume you mean drive motor, I don't believe it would. Fresh oil will be drawn in to replace the oil that is ejected out into the bucket. Just run the machine at idle and shut it down as soon as there is any spluttering. Spluttering is a sign that the oil level is low.
Make sure you swap the main oil filter afterwards too, i'm sure you would anyway.
A possible better way could be to disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid so the engine will not start. With the machine jacked up push the steering lever forward, disengage the brake, then crank the engine. It won't start but it should start pumping oil out. Pull the lever back and do the same.
Don't crank the engine for too long like this as it does put a strain on the starter. I can't remember what they recommend, but its like 30 second crank, then let it cool for 5 minutes? or something like that. If worried, feel the starter, if its hot let it cool.
Hopefully this will help.
ok I will try what you have rocemeneded and ill let you know how it goes. thx for the info been a great help