Question about starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

As many of you know, we had a blizzard this past Friday and Saturday. Saturday afternoon I started up my T200 (Deutz BF4M1011F) to do some plowing. I ran it for about an hour and a half, and it ran fine. On Sunday, I went out to start the machine to finish up. I put the code in, waited for the glow to count down, and hit the start button. Nothing. When I had my son try to start it as I had my head in the engine compartment, I could hear a click which I thought was coming from the starter solenoid. I took a mallet and gently tapped all around the starter, thinking the brushes may be failing and I could get another start or two out of it. Nothing. At no time did the starter make any sound evidencing engaging or rotation. When I pressed the start button, the lights on the panel dimmed slightly. There was some electrical consumer being turned on causing a voltage drop. At the time, the weather was about 20*. i went inside and ordered a starter. I figured that the starter had burned out or the brushes were worn out. Today I was out shoveling by hand. The weather was about 45*. Just for the heck of it, I sat in the machine and went through the start sequence. It fired right up in less than a second. I'm glad it ran, but I am a little concerned it may not be reliable. Did I waste my money in ordering a starter, or is it failing? Any suggestions or opinions?

Bobcatdan

The fact you say the lights dimmed, would make me lean towards a starter. Any starter error codes. Also test your battery and make sure the connections are nice and clean. Weak batteries can do weird things.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

The fact you say the lights dimmed, would make me lean towards a starter. Any starter error codes. Also test your battery and make sure the connections are nice and clean. Weak batteries can do weird things.
There were no error codes. While I was waiting for my son to help with the diagnosis, I put the battery on charge. I used the positive stud on the starter and a ground. The battery charger quickly brought the battery back to full charge, which leads me to believe the battery is fairly good and the connections are okay. I did notice that snow and ice had melted and refroze down the left rear side of the engine compartment over the battery. I was concerned there could be voltage leakage because of that. But remember that the starter did not turn over at all, nor were there any sounds as if it was trying to move. I had an old Chevette with a bad starter, and every once in a while I had to take a piece of rebar I kept in the back, and give the starter a good rap to get it going. Before I did that, the starter was completely dead. I think I dislodged the solenoid and got it going that way. I thought the T200 situation was about the same.

Bobcatdan

There were no error codes. While I was waiting for my son to help with the diagnosis, I put the battery on charge. I used the positive stud on the starter and a ground. The battery charger quickly brought the battery back to full charge, which leads me to believe the battery is fairly good and the connections are okay. I did notice that snow and ice had melted and refroze down the left rear side of the engine compartment over the battery. I was concerned there could be voltage leakage because of that. But remember that the starter did not turn over at all, nor were there any sounds as if it was trying to move. I had an old Chevette with a bad starter, and every once in a while I had to take a piece of rebar I kept in the back, and give the starter a good rap to get it going. Before I did that, the starter was completely dead. I think I dislodged the solenoid and got it going that way. I thought the T200 situation was about the same.
If it acts up again before you get the starter, jump the starter with a screwdriver. If it's good, it will crank, key on or off. Also when you do the starter, replace the relay.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

If it acts up again before you get the starter, jump the starter with a screwdriver. If it's good, it will crank, key on or off. Also when you do the starter, replace the relay.
That's the relay behind the panel between your calves as you sit in the seat, correct? Is there another source for these besides the dealer? Thanks, Dan!

farmshop

That's the relay behind the panel between your calves as you sit in the seat, correct? Is there another source for these besides the dealer? Thanks, Dan!
Anything auto parts store should have them just a standard relay

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

Anything auto parts store should have them just a standard relay
It looks like the starter relay is the lower right relay in the front fuse and relay panel, depicted in Figure 60-10-6 in the manual. It looks like there are a total of 8 locations, of which 7 are populated with relays. The relays appear to be interchangeable, and not current-rated like fuses.

mmsllc

It looks like the starter relay is the lower right relay in the front fuse and relay panel, depicted in Figure 60-10-6 in the manual. It looks like there are a total of 8 locations, of which 7 are populated with relays. The relays appear to be interchangeable, and not current-rated like fuses.
At 20 degrees, I would be concerned with the battery starting to freeze. I saw that someone suggested a relay, but would that cause the lights to dim, or wouldn't they just remain the same? On the other hand, if the battery was freezing, wouldn't that (possibly) explain the dimming? .....Especially since it operated great at 40+ degree temps?? Check your battery thoroughly! A weak / bad battery can also damage relays from excessive heat from low voltage scenarios...

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

At 20 degrees, I would be concerned with the battery starting to freeze. I saw that someone suggested a relay, but would that cause the lights to dim, or wouldn't they just remain the same? On the other hand, if the battery was freezing, wouldn't that (possibly) explain the dimming? .....Especially since it operated great at 40+ degree temps?? Check your battery thoroughly! A weak / bad battery can also damage relays from excessive heat from low voltage scenarios...
I read Dan's response as saying that if I replaced the starter, I should go ahead and replace the relay, too. I did not read it as saying that the relay would have been the cause of the no start condition. The battery was a little low because the machine had not been run for a while. But in the middle of diagnosis, I charged it with a smart charger. The smart charger went from 8 amps to 0 in just a few minutes, which from prior experience indicated to me that the battery was sound. When I tried to start with the charged battery, there was no change.

mmsllc

I read Dan's response as saying that if I replaced the starter, I should go ahead and replace the relay, too. I did not read it as saying that the relay would have been the cause of the no start condition. The battery was a little low because the machine had not been run for a while. But in the middle of diagnosis, I charged it with a smart charger. The smart charger went from 8 amps to 0 in just a few minutes, which from prior experience indicated to me that the battery was sound. When I tried to start with the charged battery, there was no change.
Ok. Fair enough. Then replacing the relay (& starter) should be what the doctor ordered. Relays get damaged by faulty starters (& batteries) = RIGHT ON!!