Finished my stump bucket with grapple---question---

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

My stump bucket grapple moves too fast!, is there a small connector I can install in-line with a small orifice to slow the flow?. Or what else can I do?, I have proportional hyd. but with the bumping, twisting and driving, it's difficult to move the toggle slow.

OP
OP
P

perry

You can buy a flow restrictor, then adjust it to suit.
Tazza, I saw one in bailey's catalog, it had an adjustment knob and I didn't think it would hold up with the weather and all the hooking up and unhooking?.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I saw one in bailey's catalog, it had an adjustment knob and I didn't think it would hold up with the weather and all the hooking up and unhooking?.
That sounds like it.
I get your point about it being in the weather but I'd suspect it would take ages to rust up. The only other option i guess would be to make an adapter and drill say a 1/8" hole and work up. This way wouldn't have the luxury of being able to change the flow easily.

TriHonu

That sounds like it.
I get your point about it being in the weather but I'd suspect it would take ages to rust up. The only other option i guess would be to make an adapter and drill say a 1/8" hole and work up. This way wouldn't have the luxury of being able to change the flow easily.
I have flow control valves on one of my 4 in 1 buckets. My machine does not have proportional auxiliaries. Be aware they only restrict flow in one direction and allow full flow in the other.
If you want to slow it down in both directions you can use a needle valve or orifice restrictor in one hose. The other option is flow control valves in both hoses.
My flow valves have been out in the weather for 6 or 7 years and have a little surface rust, nothing serious.

OP
OP
P

perry

I have flow control valves on one of my 4 in 1 buckets. My machine does not have proportional auxiliaries. Be aware they only restrict flow in one direction and allow full flow in the other.
If you want to slow it down in both directions you can use a needle valve or orifice restrictor in one hose. The other option is flow control valves in both hoses.
My flow valves have been out in the weather for 6 or 7 years and have a little surface rust, nothing serious.
The used grapple arm I purchased still had the (broken) cyl. attached. I removed the hoses from the cyl. and noticed the hoses had small flow opening. I'll see about picking up reducers and use these hoses?.

OP
OP
P

perry

The used grapple arm I purchased still had the (broken) cyl. attached. I removed the hoses from the cyl. and noticed the hoses had small flow opening. I'll see about picking up reducers and use these hoses?.
Well, here is what I'm going to do. buy a steel hose connector with male on both ends, weld it up inside and drill a 1/8 hole. Think that will work at slowing it up?.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, here is what I'm going to do. buy a steel hose connector with male on both ends, weld it up inside and drill a 1/8 hole. Think that will work at slowing it up?.
1/8" sure will slow it down, you will just need to test it to find the best speed for you. I was going to do this for my slew for my hoe attachment, as it can rocket from side to side if you aren't careful.

mllud

1/8" sure will slow it down, you will just need to test it to find the best speed for you. I was going to do this for my slew for my hoe attachment, as it can rocket from side to side if you aren't careful.
filler.gif
filler.gif
Orifices in hydraulic systems
Orifices are used in hydraulic circuits to restrict flow. The following document explains how to calculate: orifice diameter required to pass a desired flow at a specified pressure; flow rate through an orifice of a known diameter at a specified pressure; and pressure drop across an orifice of a known diameter at a specified flow rate.
Download document
This was some information that was in that hydraulic library steerclan gave the link to the other day. Its a pfd file. Heres the link to the library. Its toward the bottom of the list. Dont know if this is anything you can use. Mike
http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/technical8.html

triad

I had the same problem when I did mine. I love the closing pressure but opening the clamp flipped it too far back. I was too cheap to buy a flow restrictor. So I welded a stop and attached tire tread on it and I try to bump the switch to open it up so it won't slam into the stop so hard. Steve

skidsteer.ca

I had the same problem when I did mine. I love the closing pressure but opening the clamp flipped it too far back. I was too cheap to buy a flow restrictor. So I welded a stop and attached tire tread on it and I try to bump the switch to open it up so it won't slam into the stop so hard. Steve
For the hoe I'd go with the flow control valves, I had them on my 909 , no rust problems and I could adjust the swing speed slow for work beside building and fast for digging in the wide open. They last good and are about 20 bucks at surplus center. I believe they have some that control flow in both directions now, but the ones I have only restrict going one way.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

For the hoe I'd go with the flow control valves, I had them on my 909 , no rust problems and I could adjust the swing speed slow for work beside building and fast for digging in the wide open. They last good and are about 20 bucks at surplus center. I believe they have some that control flow in both directions now, but the ones I have only restrict going one way.
Ken
Bought an extra fitting and welded up the inside, drilled a 1/8 hole and it still moves a little too fast. I'm a cautious about going smaller so I'll live with it.

Latest posts