finally a decent chop saw blade

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I've heard they are good, but i have never used one. I use the standard wheels but i also have a band saw which i do just about all my cutting with these days so the chop saw hardly ever leaves the shed.
Its listed as not recommended for over 1/4" thick metal, how do they rate that? like no flat bar? how about box section?

OP
OP
S

Skiddy

I've heard they are good, but i have never used one. I use the standard wheels but i also have a band saw which i do just about all my cutting with these days so the chop saw hardly ever leaves the shed.
Its listed as not recommended for over 1/4" thick metal, how do they rate that? like no flat bar? how about box section?
yeah I have a band saw also. we use the chop saw when we are away from the shop.

coreya3212

I have an Hatachi and cut as thick a metal as it will handle. No problem. Scott
This is gonna sound stupid, but my old neighbour has a old power hacksaw, like was built in the 40's. Its big and ugly, but I think you could cut 6-8 inches wide and 10 tall. It is quiet, no sparks and all the filing fall neatly below into a little trap. Cuts straight as a arrow and faster than I would have ever guessed, based on my own speed with a hand hacksaw. I comb the used tool classifieds steady looking for one. I think they are the great.

Tazza

Staff member
This is gonna sound stupid, but my old neighbour has a old power hacksaw, like was built in the 40's. Its big and ugly, but I think you could cut 6-8 inches wide and 10 tall. It is quiet, no sparks and all the filing fall neatly below into a little trap. Cuts straight as a arrow and faster than I would have ever guessed, based on my own speed with a hand hacksaw. I comb the used tool classifieds steady looking for one. I think they are the great.
I know the ones, they do a great job, old as dirt but still keep going. My bandsaw is great, but when the blade gets a little dull it doesn't cut as straight. Most of the material i cut, this doesn't matter too much as it usually goes in the lathe and squared off.

Land-Tech

I know the ones, they do a great job, old as dirt but still keep going. My bandsaw is great, but when the blade gets a little dull it doesn't cut as straight. Most of the material i cut, this doesn't matter too much as it usually goes in the lathe and squared off.
My Dad had one and it worked great and being reciprical would stay straight. It was a regular fixture in the shop, but it would never match the speed of a chop saw.Scott

Tazza

Staff member
My Dad had one and it worked great and being reciprical would stay straight. It was a regular fixture in the shop, but it would never match the speed of a chop saw.Scott
I do agree, but the thing i love about a band saw is that you can setup your cut and simply walk off, come back and its done. You don't need to sit there pushing the handle to get it to cut. I may be lazy, but i love the freedom of being able to do another job while it cuts. If it takes 10 minutes, i don't care.
Now, on thin section steel, sure go the chop saw. You are there for a 10 second cut, then on to the next.

coreya3212

I do agree, but the thing i love about a band saw is that you can setup your cut and simply walk off, come back and its done. You don't need to sit there pushing the handle to get it to cut. I may be lazy, but i love the freedom of being able to do another job while it cuts. If it takes 10 minutes, i don't care.
Now, on thin section steel, sure go the chop saw. You are there for a 10 second cut, then on to the next.
All good points. I am with Tazza on walking away and letting it cut. But in a rush the chop saw is worth the noise and sparks. I still want to find one, noise seems to be my biggest peeve the older I get. My first hobby is woodwork and furniture building, woodturning, but I have moved into a handtool phase that is quieter and dust free that I quite like.

Land-Tech

All good points. I am with Tazza on walking away and letting it cut. But in a rush the chop saw is worth the noise and sparks. I still want to find one, noise seems to be my biggest peeve the older I get. My first hobby is woodwork and furniture building, woodturning, but I have moved into a handtool phase that is quieter and dust free that I quite like.
If I had one I would use it. I have taps and dies that were made in the forties and they work great, especially the adjustable dies. I also have an old welder that was made in the sixties that welds very well along with thawing an occasional water pipe that freezes ,that I will probably never get rid of.I would really like to have a good lathe and mill setup which is an wish list item too.Up here in Alaska finding oldie but goodie tools is rare.But I'm always looking. Scott

Tazza

Staff member
If I had one I would use it. I have taps and dies that were made in the forties and they work great, especially the adjustable dies. I also have an old welder that was made in the sixties that welds very well along with thawing an occasional water pipe that freezes ,that I will probably never get rid of.I would really like to have a good lathe and mill setup which is an wish list item too.Up here in Alaska finding oldie but goodie tools is rare.But I'm always looking. Scott
I actually bought my first welder off my shop teacher in grade 9. I sold it about a year ago as i got an inverter welder. The inverter is awesome with being portable and DC, makes welding with the cellulose rods i use for really tough welds easy. The old AC one refused to work with them, the new one lays them down so easily! It does however lack the ability to weld all day. I can lay a 3.25mm rod at a full 150A and it lays it beautifully, but then it shuts down to cool. When cool its good to go again. Thats its only draw back, the bad duty cycle.
I'm sure i could do with more amps, but 150 seems to do all i need. Its great being able to throw it over your shoulder and walk to the job, run a lead to it and you are good to go. The old one tore my shoulder out of its socket!

coreya3212

I actually bought my first welder off my shop teacher in grade 9. I sold it about a year ago as i got an inverter welder. The inverter is awesome with being portable and DC, makes welding with the cellulose rods i use for really tough welds easy. The old AC one refused to work with them, the new one lays them down so easily! It does however lack the ability to weld all day. I can lay a 3.25mm rod at a full 150A and it lays it beautifully, but then it shuts down to cool. When cool its good to go again. Thats its only draw back, the bad duty cycle.
I'm sure i could do with more amps, but 150 seems to do all i need. Its great being able to throw it over your shoulder and walk to the job, run a lead to it and you are good to go. The old one tore my shoulder out of its socket!
I was recently putting a smooth edge on a bolt on tooth bucket that I got at the scrap yard, so I picked up a pack of 3/16 rods. I dont know what the he## i was thinking. They are the size of a sausage. I think I wanted 3/32 in my head and got mixed up. I had my AC welder cranked to 225 amps and could barely get them to arc, and maintaining it was very tough. I gave up and gave them to my neighbour to use on his bigger welder to see if he can run them on his DC welder. Hope they can be used somewhere....

Tazza

Staff member
I was recently putting a smooth edge on a bolt on tooth bucket that I got at the scrap yard, so I picked up a pack of 3/16 rods. I dont know what the he## i was thinking. They are the size of a sausage. I think I wanted 3/32 in my head and got mixed up. I had my AC welder cranked to 225 amps and could barely get them to arc, and maintaining it was very tough. I gave up and gave them to my neighbour to use on his bigger welder to see if he can run them on his DC welder. Hope they can be used somewhere....
"the size of a sausage" sorry, i had a laugh at that :)
I can just weld with 4mm rods at a full 150A. Its not as strong of an arc as I'd like but it did the job. I can destroy 2.5mm rods at the same setting, the rod will catch fire!
For BIG welding jobs, i rather use my MIG welder, drives you crazy swapping rods all the time, so the MIG really shines. Doesn't have the same penetration and hates rusty steel but gives a good finish and is easier.

coreya3212

"the size of a sausage" sorry, i had a laugh at that :)
I can just weld with 4mm rods at a full 150A. Its not as strong of an arc as I'd like but it did the job. I can destroy 2.5mm rods at the same setting, the rod will catch fire!
For BIG welding jobs, i rather use my MIG welder, drives you crazy swapping rods all the time, so the MIG really shines. Doesn't have the same penetration and hates rusty steel but gives a good finish and is easier.
Glad someone likes my sense of humor!!

Earthwerks Unlimited

Glad someone likes my sense of humor!!
Off Craigslist I picked up Miller portable AC/DC welder generator for $450. Electric start 2-cylinder Onan.
My Lincoln Electric PowerArc 5000 welder generator is now for sale--$200--has only 315 hours on it but needs the stator windings rewound or replaced ($450). I'm in SE Michigan. 734 552-3317 Paid $2000 new in 2002. It's a deal for someone who likes to work on things.

BobMelroe

I've used these. Leave a good clean cut, but seem slower than an abrasive blade. At least if you are impatient like me :) Actually have two new Freud blades on the shelf I'll probably never use..... Have a 5HP Kalamazoo chop saw that will cut whatever I need cut, and pretty fast! Otherwise I use the plasma cutter on it. Have an old (ancient) vertical band saw that I have to get up an going yet (farther down on my project list). Till then I have a DeWalt portable band saw that I use quite a bit. Very handy item.