Filters for hyd system

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Goblish

Hi I just read a post about draining hyd. fluid, So my question is I have a 2001 773 500k with 750 hrs. on it should I be thinking of changing the whole hyd. fluid along with the main filter int the back of the machine and the 2 under the cab, or should I not even worry about the fluid and just change the filters? Next question is how do I change the filters under the cab, is there pressure on them and I,m thinking the fluid will keep draining while I install the new filters so whats the best way to change them? Any help would be great Thanks!!

Tazza

Staff member
Its 10 years old, it really wouldn't hurt to change the filters and oil. Over time the oil will break down and water will get in bit by bit.
The filter in the engine bay is easy, the other two case drain filters are easy too. There is no real pressure behind them, its just gravity making oil move through them when its shut down. If you have two new filters just remove the old one, and put the new one on. You won't lose too much oil doing it.
I would also look at the chaincase oil, water gets in there and you don't notice till its too late.

OP
OP
G

Goblish

Its 10 years old, it really wouldn't hurt to change the filters and oil. Over time the oil will break down and water will get in bit by bit.
The filter in the engine bay is easy, the other two case drain filters are easy too. There is no real pressure behind them, its just gravity making oil move through them when its shut down. If you have two new filters just remove the old one, and put the new one on. You won't lose too much oil doing it.
I would also look at the chaincase oil, water gets in there and you don't notice till its too late.
Thanks for the info I was also thinking of the chaincase also, Maybe I will just plan on a complete fluid change, Is there any easy way to drain the hyd fluid though??

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info I was also thinking of the chaincase also, Maybe I will just plan on a complete fluid change, Is there any easy way to drain the hyd fluid though??
Sadly there is no easy way. I run my machine ad idle and operate the aux hydraulics till it starts to spit and jitter. Shut down and re-fill. If there is water contamination, you can put in say 5-10 litres run it, drive around, lift tilt to get the oil moving around then drain it again. Repeat till its clean. I have done this on a 753 before, it took about 3 changes to get it right.

OP
OP
G

Goblish

Sadly there is no easy way. I run my machine ad idle and operate the aux hydraulics till it starts to spit and jitter. Shut down and re-fill. If there is water contamination, you can put in say 5-10 litres run it, drive around, lift tilt to get the oil moving around then drain it again. Repeat till its clean. I have done this on a 753 before, it took about 3 changes to get it right.
I was afraid you would say there was no actual drain, but I think when it warms up here in MN I will tackle this task.

OP
OP
G

Goblish

I was afraid you would say there was no actual drain, but I think when it warms up here in MN I will tackle this task.
I have another question, In the manual it say the hyd. res. holds 4.8 gallon and the hyd. system holds 8.5 gallons so is it a total of 14 gallons or so or is it just a total of 8.5 gallons?? Any help would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
I have another question, In the manual it say the hyd. res. holds 4.8 gallon and the hyd. system holds 8.5 gallons so is it a total of 14 gallons or so or is it just a total of 8.5 gallons?? Any help would be great.
it will be a little over the 4.8 gallons if you do it my way. The 8.5 will be ALL tube lines, motors and cylinders. You will only be draining the hydraulic pump and a few lines. The rams and motors will all be full of oil.

OP
OP
G

Goblish

it will be a little over the 4.8 gallons if you do it my way. The 8.5 will be ALL tube lines, motors and cylinders. You will only be draining the hydraulic pump and a few lines. The rams and motors will all be full of oil.
Hey Thanks alot for all the help, one more question what is the best hyd. fluid to use bobcat brand or is there something just as good or better for a better price?? Thanks again!

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Thanks alot for all the help, one more question what is the best hyd. fluid to use bobcat brand or is there something just as good or better for a better price?? Thanks again!
Some use engine oil, hydraulic, or bobcats stuff. I just run 20W50 engine oil, works just fine and doesn't got a fortune.
If your machine was under warranty still, you would need to use the genuine stuff.