Engine Pooched

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobo

Hi guys The ford engine in my 632 threw a rod yesterday...not much left.Question,i'm not happy with the gas engine and would like to install a diesel.Can anyone recommend a good model # Kubota that I could swap in? Second..is there any hidden things that I should be aware of.I am aware that there will have to some modifications to this install and I'm prepared for that.Thanks Guys.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry i can't be of too much help but the 6 series machines always ran a 3 cylinder Kubota from memory, not sure on the size. You would need to adapt the flywheel and engine mounts no doubt. It won't be a real easy job but i can't see why you can't. I'd check space and see if a 4 cylinder V1702 would fit. These aren't as available as they once were, the V2203's are but they have far more power than you would ever need.
As always, we will require pictures :)

73Eldo

Sorry i can't be of too much help but the 6 series machines always ran a 3 cylinder Kubota from memory, not sure on the size. You would need to adapt the flywheel and engine mounts no doubt. It won't be a real easy job but i can't see why you can't. I'd check space and see if a 4 cylinder V1702 would fit. These aren't as available as they once were, the V2203's are but they have far more power than you would ever need.
As always, we will require pictures :)
Seems like I have read that the V6 in the ranger pickups (among others) is a fairly easy swap and fits the mounts and such. Not that that helps if you are looking for diesel. I remember looking at one that a guy told me had the ford in it, he put in a surplus yanmar from some sort of fire pump. I remember where the guy lived, I will keep an eye out and if I see him I will ask for details.

sterlclan

Seems like I have read that the V6 in the ranger pickups (among others) is a fairly easy swap and fits the mounts and such. Not that that helps if you are looking for diesel. I remember looking at one that a guy told me had the ford in it, he put in a surplus yanmar from some sort of fire pump. I remember where the guy lived, I will keep an eye out and if I see him I will ask for details.
there "should" be room for a 4cyl the pump is driven by a u joint and "could" be powered with anything that will fit keep us posted....and good luck.....Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
there "should" be room for a 4cyl the pump is driven by a u joint and "could" be powered with anything that will fit keep us posted....and good luck.....Jeff
Just remember if you install an engine from a car or truck you will need a govenor, industrial engines have a gvenor built in. Just something not to over look. I knew a guy that had a welder on the back of a truck that he powered with a V8, without a govenor he could pull it up when he started welding. Eventually he setup a 1.6l ford petrol engine with a govenor, it worked flawlessly till the day he sold it.