Deere CT322 fuel issues???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I can not find in any of the literature that I own any reference to a fuel solenoid. Does the machine have any type of device that is electrically controlled that determines whether or not fuel is going to be available or not? One day I worked and worked to ever get it running and have no idea what I did that truly helped. I let fuel out of the bottom of the filter. I opened the bleeder valve and pumped the primer button until I was wore out multiple times. Next I used my air compressor to blow out the lines backward toward the tank and then cranked the motor until fuel was pumping out that hose. Bled the bleeder valve a few more times...never really seeing any air. Was ready to give up but thought I would try it one more time and it started up like I had just shut it off. That was about a week and a half ago. Last Wednesday I got on it to use it for just a small job and it would not start. Friday I tried again and it started up immediately. Is the thing possessed? Oh how I wish the thing had a 283 Chevy engine from the 60's...THAT is something I KNOW how to work on! Any help/advice would certainly be appreciated. Rickie Williams Columbia, KY

antfarmer2

Are you getting white smoke when cranking if so your getting fuel might be a loose connection on your glow plugs try a shot of wd40 in the intake and see if it starts

OP
OP
R
Are you getting white smoke when cranking if so your getting fuel might be a loose connection on your glow plugs try a shot of wd40 in the intake and see if it starts
I haven't noticed any smoke at all. One time I sprayed some starting fluid in the air cleaner housing. It acted interested...but did not take the bait and run. Most likely the issue is something simple...it is just finding it. I am still totally open to suggestions.

antfarmer2

I haven't noticed any smoke at all. One time I sprayed some starting fluid in the air cleaner housing. It acted interested...but did not take the bait and run. Most likely the issue is something simple...it is just finding it. I am still totally open to suggestions.
Don't use starting fluid will do damage........are you sure your getting fuel from the tank you might have blown off the pickup tube in the tank with your air trick I would hook up a aux fuel tank and see

antfarmer2

Don't use starting fluid will do damage........are you sure your getting fuel from the tank you might have blown off the pickup tube in the tank with your air trick I would hook up a aux fuel tank and see
Is there a plug on top of the fuel filter housing to bleed the filter............and you did close the bleeder valve after bleeding

OP
OP
R
Is there a plug on top of the fuel filter housing to bleed the filter............and you did close the bleeder valve after bleeding
On mine, the bleeder valve is actually on the side of the housing. The top has a black knob to push down on to pump up the pressure. And yes I closed both the side bleeder as well as the water drain valve on the bottom of the same filter tightly each time after opening. The total mystery to me is why is it that I might wait a couple days, get in the machine and turn the key to start after the glow plug light goes out and it start immediately? But another time it is as stubborn as a mule. If its name was Mule instead of Deere...I would just rack it up to a personality flaw of the machine. But as for now, whoever engineered the slogan "Nothing runs like a Deere" ought to have to come to my place and be introduced to this machine!

antfarmer2

On mine, the bleeder valve is actually on the side of the housing. The top has a black knob to push down on to pump up the pressure. And yes I closed both the side bleeder as well as the water drain valve on the bottom of the same filter tightly each time after opening. The total mystery to me is why is it that I might wait a couple days, get in the machine and turn the key to start after the glow plug light goes out and it start immediately? But another time it is as stubborn as a mule. If its name was Mule instead of Deere...I would just rack it up to a personality flaw of the machine. But as for now, whoever engineered the slogan "Nothing runs like a Deere" ought to have to come to my place and be introduced to this machine!
If your sure your getting fuel then I would look for a bad connection on your glow plugs

OP
OP
R
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
this is your solenoid
The the person that sent me the link in the email "this is your solenoid" all that loads is a blank JD parts page. I don't know where this piece is located on the engine. Also, I have read that one of the fitting might have a check valve in it. If so, how do I find it? In the tech manual that came with the machine, NOTHING is stated about glow plugs except for replacing the fuse. With 3800 hours on this machine, if it even might help with its starting, I want to replace them. But I am going to need help with the procedure, their location, part number, etc. Also, the troubling thing about the manual is that it was obviously written by folks working on a machine that was NOT in need of repair. Here's an example: "To raise the operator's station, start and move the machine to level ground and raise the boom arms and engage the lock" What if the machine will not start and run?

lfutrell

The the person that sent me the link in the email "this is your solenoid" all that loads is a blank JD parts page. I don't know where this piece is located on the engine. Also, I have read that one of the fitting might have a check valve in it. If so, how do I find it? In the tech manual that came with the machine, NOTHING is stated about glow plugs except for replacing the fuse. With 3800 hours on this machine, if it even might help with its starting, I want to replace them. But I am going to need help with the procedure, their location, part number, etc. Also, the troubling thing about the manual is that it was obviously written by folks working on a machine that was NOT in need of repair. Here's an example: "To raise the operator's station, start and move the machine to level ground and raise the boom arms and engage the lock" What if the machine will not start and run?
When that page appears type in CT322 in the model and it will give you a complete parts break down.

joeu235

When that page appears type in CT322 in the model and it will give you a complete parts break down.
I had a similar problem. Disconnected fuel line from upstream side of the inline filter and put it in a coffee can full of fresh fuel. It let meet know that my problem was the filter or fuel tank. Ended up being junk clogging up the fuel suction in the tank.

OP
OP
R
I had a similar problem. Disconnected fuel line from upstream side of the inline filter and put it in a coffee can full of fresh fuel. It let meet know that my problem was the filter or fuel tank. Ended up being junk clogging up the fuel suction in the tank.
Well the problem went away for several months but reared its head again on Saturday, April 25, 2015 I am confident I am getting fuel to the main filter. I put my wife in the seat and had her try to start it while I pumped on the hand primer button. There was a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. It has been a couple of weeks since I last used the machine. The last two times this happened, I tried every suggestion given...and was just about to give up and then it decided to start. My dad in Arkansas has a tractor that sometimes needs to have the lines cracked open to bleed air...but I have not found a place on this machine to do this. Any ideas as to what I should try this time.

Bobcatdan

Well the problem went away for several months but reared its head again on Saturday, April 25, 2015 I am confident I am getting fuel to the main filter. I put my wife in the seat and had her try to start it while I pumped on the hand primer button. There was a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. It has been a couple of weeks since I last used the machine. The last two times this happened, I tried every suggestion given...and was just about to give up and then it decided to start. My dad in Arkansas has a tractor that sometimes needs to have the lines cracked open to bleed air...but I have not found a place on this machine to do this. Any ideas as to what I should try this time.
There is a check vavle in the fitting coming out of the back of the head for the fuel return line. If that vavle doesn't seat, fuel seeing the easier path simply bypasses back to tank. Try pinching it off and see if it starts. I wouldn't run it very long like that, just enough to verify it starts and runs.

OP
OP
R
There is a check vavle in the fitting coming out of the back of the head for the fuel return line. If that vavle doesn't seat, fuel seeing the easier path simply bypasses back to tank. Try pinching it off and see if it starts. I wouldn't run it very long like that, just enough to verify it starts and runs.
One check question...which end of the head is referred to as the back? The end hardest to get to...meaning right behind the seat or at the back end of the motor closest to the back end of the machine? Sorry if this seems stupid...but I am totally new to diesel engines.

Tazza

Staff member
One check question...which end of the head is referred to as the back? The end hardest to get to...meaning right behind the seat or at the back end of the motor closest to the back end of the machine? Sorry if this seems stupid...but I am totally new to diesel engines.
Generally the back is the flywheel end.

OP
OP
R
Generally the back is the flywheel end.
At the flywheel end of the valve cover, there is a line that I assume is a fuel line that entering the valve cover, but there is nothing I can see that I would even think is a check valve and nothing that looks like it might be pinched off as a previous person suggested to check the integrity of the check valve...this is a steel line. On another note, today I got on the machine and it started like it had been shut off just a few minutes prior.

Bobcatdan

At the flywheel end of the valve cover, there is a line that I assume is a fuel line that entering the valve cover, but there is nothing I can see that I would even think is a check valve and nothing that looks like it might be pinched off as a previous person suggested to check the integrity of the check valve...this is a steel line. On another note, today I got on the machine and it started like it had been shut off just a few minutes prior.
Look lower then the vavle cover and at the head. There is a 90° fitting with a rubber hose connecting to it. I want you to pinch the hose off to see if the unit then can build pressure to run. The fuel transfer can make about 10 psi, but if the check vavle sticks open, since there is a clear path back to the tank, the transfer can't build pressure.

farmshop

Look lower then the vavle cover and at the head. There is a 90° fitting with a rubber hose connecting to it. I want you to pinch the hose off to see if the unit then can build pressure to run. The fuel transfer can make about 10 psi, but if the check vavle sticks open, since there is a clear path back to the tank, the transfer can't build pressure.
is there a electric pump? other wise i would look at the fuel lines especially rubber hoses for cracks or loose connetions. Some machines have a check valve in the pick up tube to keep it from loosing prime