John Deere ct322 fuel problem!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Trent0

So my first problem got solved on this forum let's see about the next gremlin haha

I have a 322ct with 4024 diesel in it
It cranks a lot and has lots of air in the return line
Once I get it started it runs good but intermittently starves for fuel

I'm not familiar with these fuel systems so any help would be great !

Would an electric fuel pump be wise up grade on these?

TonyCT322

My only fuel issues were a fuel shutoff selonoid that would randomly fail and difficult to reproduce and a fuel line that melted were it cam into contact with the engine block. Air in the line sounds like a cracked hose or improperly installed filter. Not pulling fuel could be a partial blockage in the tank (not sure if there is an in tank filter) or weak injection pump. If you manually prime the fuel system (plunger on top of fuel filter) does it hold pressure? Have you bled the fuel system (bleed screw at filter housing, cracking injectors and cranking over the engine but not starting it)? Have you changed the fuel filter and did you fill it with fuel before installing?

Start with the cheap and easy fixes first.

OP
OP
T

Trent0

These engines use those fuel injection pump injectors
Fuel shut off is new
When I prime it it holds pressure and once it's running I am getting air in the system

TonyCT322

Where are you seeing air bubbles? How do you know it is air in the line?

Start at the tank. Check the lines for cracks. Remove the fuel filter and check the orings. Are they cracked, missing or two many. Sometimes they stick to the housing during a filter change and when a new one is installed it creates a gap. Make sure the filter is not cross threaded. Other than that all that is left is the pump. I've seen lots of reports of the plunger or primer leaking or not building pressure. It's cheaper than a new injection pump. Do you have at least a half tank of fuel?

Maybe remove the line at the filter and apply low pressure air. Use a spray bottle with soap and water to check for leaks. Same going back to tank. I can't understand how it is holding pressure and getting air in the lines.

I had an injection pump on a tractor go bad (thank you ethanol). It allowed fuel and oil to mix. Oil level kept going up on the dipstick and thinned the oil. That's how I found the problem. Otherwise it ran fine. That was an expensive repair. Not sure what the pumps run for skid steers. I hope that is not your problem.

That's all I can think of.

OP
OP
T

Trent0

Thanks I'll have a deeper look tonight I was wondering about the lift pump if it were airating it

OP
OP
T

Trent0

So I pulled the line off the block and when the engine is cranking there is little to no fuel coming out of the line so I'm guessing it's a lift pump

foton

I do not know about that model but some manually operated lift pumps (fuel primer button) are screw down, I have heard of them leak air if not screwed down after priming system.

OP
OP
T

Trent0

update on fuel problem
Bypassed lift pump and installed electric fuel pump 10 psi and wired it in line with shut off solenoid and no problems since, 4 hours of operation.

tomstu

I had this problem on a 853 bobcat. I replaced fuel line from the pump to a Jerry can hanging on the back of bobcat. Problem went away so I knew it was a problem with fuel line in tank or strainer in tank. Motor would have to be removed or raised to replace. I found a clear spot on tank and ran e new line, strainer and grommet. Has been three years and no problem. Just make sure hose is long enough to reach bottom of tank.