Dead LX885

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mikefromcny

Hi all, I've been looking for a winter project, particularly a dead skid steer. Today I looked at a 98 lx885. Hasn't run in a month, owner has the delphi injection pump off, said he wasn't getting fuel to the injectors, claims lift pump works. Exchange with local rebuilder is $1400. A few months ago he spent $2000 at the NH dealer trouble shooting a no start, they ended up replacing the instrument panel which I understand can fail and is expensive. Has cab with heat but no door. Claims it runs good, and is willing to let me fix/help me fix it in his yard to prove it runs good…he doesn't have the money to repair it though. 6000 hours…makes me a little nervous. Has foam filled tires at about half tread, comes with grouser tracks and forks, no bucket. Claims its a 2 speed and high flow, boom is up in the air so can't tell if its high flow. I've got him wittled down to $5600 from $6300 although $5600 does seem like a bit much for a dead machine. From what I've read they are good machine, are the hours a concern? Its in better shape then most '98s. What would you guys pay for this as it sits? I initially offered $4000 and changed my mind as I'm not sure I want the risk. But for the right price it may be worth a shot..

Calvary

here in NC they run for about 8500.00 in good working order. 6000 hours with no major repairs or rebuilds would be a big concern if it were me. Everything mechanical has a life span, so the rebuilds and repairs will be needed whether he owns or you do...I just bought a L783 for 5500 that only had a hydro leak, half-day and 50.00 repair. The rest of the machine is sound and operating good other then a drift right, but I would not have paid near that if I could hear it run and operate it first before purchase. Just my two cents.

frogfarmer

I buy dead machines regularly and would not go over $3500 for a non running machine regardless of condition. With a non-runner you have to assume the engine, pumps, and drives are all shot and you are buying for salvage value. The engine is a $1000 core. The pumps are a $1000 core. A lot of the other parts can be salvaged as well but you need a market. I realize you are wanting a machine to use but buying without a test drive is very risky. I recently picked up an 03 LS170 running with a heavy knock and poor condition overall for $2000. Also picked up a 95 LX665 complete minus the axle assemblies also blown engine with good block for $500. It took $4000 to get the LS170 up and running for everyday use and the LX665 likely is just for parts. Every situation is different but from what you describe I would offer $2500 and possibly go as high as $4000 if it were real nice and something I really wanted.

OP
OP
M

Mikefromcny

I buy dead machines regularly and would not go over $3500 for a non running machine regardless of condition. With a non-runner you have to assume the engine, pumps, and drives are all shot and you are buying for salvage value. The engine is a $1000 core. The pumps are a $1000 core. A lot of the other parts can be salvaged as well but you need a market. I realize you are wanting a machine to use but buying without a test drive is very risky. I recently picked up an 03 LS170 running with a heavy knock and poor condition overall for $2000. Also picked up a 95 LX665 complete minus the axle assemblies also blown engine with good block for $500. It took $4000 to get the LS170 up and running for everyday use and the LX665 likely is just for parts. Every situation is different but from what you describe I would offer $2500 and possibly go as high as $4000 if it were real nice and something I really wanted.
Where are you located Frogfarmer? I actually buy all my machines broken/not running/cheap. I've never bought a "newer" dead skid steer and was unsure what to even offer. I currently run a 873 and a 610. The 610 I leave at my parents house for snowplowing, but would like to sell this spring as they still fetch $4000 here and upgrade to a 90's machine. I'd like to have another new holland machine so thats why I'm considering this one. He seems to be getting a little more desperate to get rid of it and I'll probably just hover around the $3000 mark. It does have OTT grousers that would fit my 873 that I need as well. Thanks for posting what you paid, Gives me an idea what to offer on future machines. Thanks.

frogfarmer

Where are you located Frogfarmer? I actually buy all my machines broken/not running/cheap. I've never bought a "newer" dead skid steer and was unsure what to even offer. I currently run a 873 and a 610. The 610 I leave at my parents house for snowplowing, but would like to sell this spring as they still fetch $4000 here and upgrade to a 90's machine. I'd like to have another new holland machine so thats why I'm considering this one. He seems to be getting a little more desperate to get rid of it and I'll probably just hover around the $3000 mark. It does have OTT grousers that would fit my 873 that I need as well. Thanks for posting what you paid, Gives me an idea what to offer on future machines. Thanks.
Im located in South East Missouri and watch the Farm/Equipment auctions regular. I dont find deals often enough to make a living at fixing and selling but I always have a few projects going. Just passed on a very nice S205 for $7000 it needed pump/drive work not sure which but it was weak. Rest of the machine was spotless in the 3500hr range. If this LX885 is just what you are looking for it may be worth the chance and thats a decision none of us can make for another.

OP
OP
M

Mikefromcny

Im located in South East Missouri and watch the Farm/Equipment auctions regular. I dont find deals often enough to make a living at fixing and selling but I always have a few projects going. Just passed on a very nice S205 for $7000 it needed pump/drive work not sure which but it was weak. Rest of the machine was spotless in the 3500hr range. If this LX885 is just what you are looking for it may be worth the chance and thats a decision none of us can make for another.
Sounds like exactly what I do. I don't make enough at my job to buy $15,000 machines but I've done well enough where my machines pay for themselves and cost of ownership. I recently turned down an '04 S300 2 speed that needed a drive motor. Pretty sure the motor grenaded and has contaminated the rest of the system though…they were asking $9500. My understanding is its just a S250 with a heavier rear door for counterweight, no extra hp. The main appeal with the 885 is the 2 speed is I'm a "part time" farmer where I'm always driving my 873 a quarter mile up the road every few days to move round bales for the neighbors dairy farm. The plan is to sell the 610 for $1500 less or so less then a usable 753 or diesel standardized quick tach skid steer so I can leave it at the farm and have a machine to do chores with. Not a big fan on loaning equipment but they've fallen on hard times and really don't want to see them sell out.

frogfarmer

Sounds like exactly what I do. I don't make enough at my job to buy $15,000 machines but I've done well enough where my machines pay for themselves and cost of ownership. I recently turned down an '04 S300 2 speed that needed a drive motor. Pretty sure the motor grenaded and has contaminated the rest of the system though…they were asking $9500. My understanding is its just a S250 with a heavier rear door for counterweight, no extra hp. The main appeal with the 885 is the 2 speed is I'm a "part time" farmer where I'm always driving my 873 a quarter mile up the road every few days to move round bales for the neighbors dairy farm. The plan is to sell the 610 for $1500 less or so less then a usable 753 or diesel standardized quick tach skid steer so I can leave it at the farm and have a machine to do chores with. Not a big fan on loaning equipment but they've fallen on hard times and really don't want to see them sell out.
The 2 speed option can be a time saver on big jobsites but for what I do I don't have a need. I move and feed bales with a tractor so running 1500ft doesn't take any time at all. I have been in your situation and had a loader tractor at a friends farm for bales but to be honest it just didn't work out. When it needed something they just let it sit until I would fix it. The batt was down several times due to lack of use and even the fuel was my expence. Not sorry I helped them out but I did sell that tractor when somebody showed interest.