CT322 oils

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Trent0

I know this is controversial subject but What's everyone's recommendation for oils in the:
Final drives
Hydraulics
Engine

TonyCT322

Drive Oil GL5 80w90 1/2 Qt per side. Change 250 hrs. Be careful with the fill plugs. The hex head rounds off easily. I keep a few spare plugs on hand now.

Engine oil +50 10w30 TY25851 2.4 gal. every 250 hrs (or 500)

Hydraulic- same as engine. TY25851 5 Gal every 1,000 hrs. John Deere does not recommend synthetic oils. They claim it is more likely to leak around seals. Previous owner used hydraulic oil but I found my brush hog overheated the hydraulic oil faster than the engine oil so switched back to motor oil as per Deere specs. Currently using Rotella 15w40. I Can mow for six hours now before it gets too hot.

OP
OP
T

Trent0

That is awesome appreciate the prompt response I'll stick to your program
Just bought it and working out some small issues and will be changing all fluids

mrbb

Ill add my 2 cents here
changing oil/fluids to me comes down to a few things,and no ONE rule applies IMO
as if you only add say 10-20 hours a yr as a home owner, till you get 250-500 hours may take many many many yrs, ( as a extreme example, I bought an old dozer/loader off a farmer that was made in 1954 and when I got it in 2010 it only had 200 original hours on it , NOT sure about waiting till it got to 250-500 hours to replace would work there/ I replaced all fluids as soon as I could and then again in about 10 hours of use, as old oil came out like tar, after the water came out! things can build water from condensation from sitting over time too!)

So, oil can go bad from sitting over time alone, so I change fluids on machines that only see a few hours a yr, like on on home owner machines, getting low hrs a yr
I tend to replace every other yr or so!, I know and this will be a personal deal and I feel more than any chart can tell one, , But I still feel fluids are cheaper than other issues, so, for me, I don't mind maybe dumping oil sooner than needed, but again, it comes down to a personal choice!

next IMO< is how hard I use a piece of equipment and the envelopment its being used in, if I am really working the heck out of a machine for 100+ hours on some extreme job or project , and all the more so if a very dusty work area, I again will replace fluids/filters sooner
and again I don't follow any chart or time frame
my machines I plan to keep a long time, so I try my best to ensure they last as long as can problem free
just like greasing a machine, grease is cheaper than worn parts, pins, bushing ect. HAHA!

SO< some times, you have to adapt your own schedule on when to replace fluids, over just what the OEM recommends
after all, don't forget, they like to make money selling you parts and on repairs

so, my 2 cents is replace when you feel you should, and use the OEM recommended chart as a rough suggestion!

Latest posts