Counterbalance Weight Question??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hammer1

Have a 1994 Bobcat 7753 with what I think are four (4) counterbalance weights bolted to the front axle (2 per side). In addition there is 3 steel plates bolted to the inside of the rear door.

Have owned this machine since new and do not recall who, how, or when they were installed. Never gave it a second thought until yesterday when I was installing snow tires and now its really bugging me.

So here is my question. Are are all 4 supposed to be all on the rear axle or maybe 1 on each?

text
text

OP
OP
H

Hammer1

Sorry, looks like my pics won't show and not sure how to get them uploaded yet.....

bobbie-g

Sorry, looks like my pics won't show and not sure how to get them uploaded yet.....
Pix look fine now. The counterweights are to add more weight to the rear of the machine so it will lift more before tipping. I usually just ask a friend to stand on the engine compartment....... To find out the configuration of the machine as delivered from the factory, call Melroe (or the name de jour) with your serial number at 701-678-6165. :) ---Bobbie-G

[email protected]

Pix look fine now. The counterweights are to add more weight to the rear of the machine so it will lift more before tipping. I usually just ask a friend to stand on the engine compartment....... To find out the configuration of the machine as delivered from the factory, call Melroe (or the name de jour) with your serial number at 701-678-6165. :) ---Bobbie-G
the weights in the back door tend to make the machine tippy. so the weights on the front stop the machine from tipping backwards and puts more downpressure on the cutting edge. i wouldnt change anything.

OP
OP
H

Hammer1

the weights in the back door tend to make the machine tippy. so the weights on the front stop the machine from tipping backwards and puts more downpressure on the cutting edge. i wouldnt change anything.
The weights are easy to move around so I switched them to the rear axle because common sense tells me that it's for lifting more weight. However, while backing it off the trailer it was VERY noticeable that it wanted to tip backwards more than it ever has so as mentioned having them on the front would counter balance the rear door weights which are obviously there for added lifting. Going to give it a week or so to see how it feels but leaning towards switching them back to the front.