coolant for 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

edo102

Sorry for the noob question... what kind of coolant should I use on 743? Does normal green from the auto store work? Also, when I was greasing the 2 grease fittings under the cab (don't know what they're called), I dropped the grease gun connector, and I'm afraid it fell into the flywheel housing. I tried to find it for hours with no luck. Will it be alright? When I tried running it again, I didn't hear any horrible noises or the like. Any suggestions? Finally, is there a bobcat maintenance for dummies book anywhere... I could do with one! For example, in the maintenance schedule, it says to grease all pivot points. I had been told about the 2 under the cab, but was hoping to find a checklist to make sure I didn't miss any points. Thanks for any advice, Edmund

OldMachinist

Bobcat uses propolene glycol antifreeze when they are new. Normal automotive antifreeze is ethylene gylcol. Propolene glycol is non-toxic and non-polluting so if you bust a hose when your working you don't have a hazardous waste clean up. They are compatible with each other but use different specific gravity testers. If you don't know for sure whats in the cooling system now the best bet is to drain it and fill with the anti freeze you prefer. As far as the grease gun connector i would try to get it out. It may not be hitting anything now but when you use the machine it may bounce around and get in someplace and do some damage. The best book to get is the service manual for your machine. They are availible at your dealer and several places online like Ebay.

OP
OP
E

edo102

Bobcat uses propolene glycol antifreeze when they are new. Normal automotive antifreeze is ethylene gylcol. Propolene glycol is non-toxic and non-polluting so if you bust a hose when your working you don't have a hazardous waste clean up. They are compatible with each other but use different specific gravity testers. If you don't know for sure whats in the cooling system now the best bet is to drain it and fill with the anti freeze you prefer. As far as the grease gun connector i would try to get it out. It may not be hitting anything now but when you use the machine it may bounce around and get in someplace and do some damage. The best book to get is the service manual for your machine. They are availible at your dealer and several places online like Ebay.
Thanks for this info. Any advice as how best to get access to the flywheel housing? I am currently sticking my arm in from the top and trying to feel around the fan, but I can neither see nor feel it. The reason I believe it is in there somewhere is that when it dropped, I heard it hitting the wheel, and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere else. Any (more) advice is greatly appreciated.

OldMachinist

Thanks for this info. Any advice as how best to get access to the flywheel housing? I am currently sticking my arm in from the top and trying to feel around the fan, but I can neither see nor feel it. The reason I believe it is in there somewhere is that when it dropped, I heard it hitting the wheel, and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere else. Any (more) advice is greatly appreciated.
The only thing I can think of is running a fairly stiff piece wire in there to see if you can scrap around the bottom of the housing and verify it's in there. If it's there maybe you can fish one of those telescopoic magnets down to where it's at and pull it out. I know the magnet is going to try and stick to everything but short of removing the housing or drilling a hole in it for a better look I don't know what else you can do.

skidsteer.ca

Try the magnet thing. There are different lengths, some telescope out, others are flexible. They have save my butt more the once.
Worse case the engine can be removed and replaced in about 3 hours on these.
As for grease nipples, just the loader pins, and 3 on the engine to pump coupler, may be one on each steering lever, and possibly on the quick attach locking pins. The last two apply to the 751 and up models anyway.
Here is a shot of the engine pump coupling on a 553 Bobcat. The cooling blower on a 743 is cast and part of the flywheel I believe.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Try the magnet thing. There are different lengths, some telescope out, others are flexible. They have save my butt more the once.
Worse case the engine can be removed and replaced in about 3 hours on these.
As for grease nipples, just the loader pins, and 3 on the engine to pump coupler, may be one on each steering lever, and possibly on the quick attach locking pins. The last two apply to the 751 and up models anyway.
Here is a shot of the engine pump coupling on a 553 Bobcat. The cooling blower on a 743 is cast and part of the flywheel I believe.

Ken
Yes, the 743 blower fins are cast into the flywheel. It is a good idea to do your best to get the old grease fitting out of there, when you are at full throttle it can flick that piece pretty fast up into your radiator or snap a fin off. If you loose one fin, chances are you will loose a lot more as it hit the others. Absolute worst case, you can pull the engine back enough to get it out, but try the magnet trick first.

OP
OP
E

edo102

Yes, the 743 blower fins are cast into the flywheel. It is a good idea to do your best to get the old grease fitting out of there, when you are at full throttle it can flick that piece pretty fast up into your radiator or snap a fin off. If you loose one fin, chances are you will loose a lot more as it hit the others. Absolute worst case, you can pull the engine back enough to get it out, but try the magnet trick first.
Thanks for the advice lads. It's especially useful to see that picture, so I know roughly what it all looks like. I'll give this a shot this afternoon. Cheers!