Converting the old Owatonna 1700 to Hydraulic Drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Canada_Ranger

Let's Start this thread off by saying I'm totally new to hydraulic systems and plan on Taking this conversion as a project . So let's kick this off , i have a Owatonna 1700 that i bought running but after using it for abit it started needing clutches. Long story short i started looking into converting it to Hydraulic drive . Being new to this hole system of drive , i research everything from hydralic pumps to the motors And got lots of info and help from Tazza ( member) . I'm aware that the standard skid steers run Variable displacement pumps ( cost was a issue with these pumps ) For this project i've decided to go with gear pump , spool valves and hydraulic motors . A little data on the slid steer It has the 42hp diesel enigne Weights in at around 4000lbs I think i've narrowed down a good starting point for the pump and motors Pump specs : 19.7 gpm Presure is 2800psi Speed rating is 400 to 3000rpm Displacement is 1.52 cu/in Motor Specs : Displacement cu.in : 14.8 Pressure 2900psi 20gpm Hp : 32.9 Rpm : 303 Torque : 6,254 in.lbs Spool Valve : GPM: 17 Open Center As for Mounting the pump i have 2 options mount it on the gearbox , or completely taking the gearbox off and fabbing up a gear driven shaft that Converts the vertical power from the engine to horizontal . Also be removing the Clutch packs This project is still a plan and in the early stages as i figure out and research more . Any advice/ help /insight is awesome Will post more as i figure more out and plan

Tazza

Staff member
At first, i thought he was mad with this project, but the more we spoke about it, the more i understood where he was coming from.
The idea was to keep the existing lift/tilt system as it is, but then add the drive pump as it's own stand alone circuit.
The biggest issue is gong to be matching the pump and motors to give the required speed and torque.

OP
OP
C

Canada_Ranger

After cleaning out my shop to get this beast in and ready for this project , i've started removing the old hydraulic return lines / oil feeds to the clutches / variable drive system . It will be clearing lots of space for the new system to be installed . Next step will be to remove the gearbox and variable drive pulleys as they will no longer be needed . Little update on the new drive system , after much talk with tazza , we have come to the conclusion that using 2 pumps ( one for the left side and one for the right side ) would be ideal to have full pump power when using both sides to go forward or backwards , The original plan was to use 1 pump , but the scare was that It would turn fast when using only one side of the controls and lose speed when using both to go forward / backwards Also to drive the pumps , my original plan was to use a chain drive system , but after talking with tazza ,he mentioned that belts would be best they will create less noise / less maintenance and also be safer if one was to snap off . So i plan on running a 3 belt pulley on the main shaft off the engine and have the pumps staggered 2 on one side of the skid and 1 on the other For now its still taking apart the old stuff and making room Also found a rats nest of a wiring job so i will be redoing that also