Considering a 743...reasons to go with one of these, or upgrade?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

portsample

Hey all- I am seriously considering getting a Bobcat primarily to use in the winter for snow clearing as well as for occasional dirt and gravel shuffling. I've been looking at 743's...they seem like solid little machines that I can still get attachments for, and there are a lot around for $6-7k. What are the groups thoughts on these? Question: is it possible to upgrade to a bigger Kubota engine that will fit in the 743 frame in the event that I get one with a bum motor? Thanks in advance for relevant wisdom and shared experience.

[email protected]

i have a 643, same machine with a slightly smaller engine and inverted rims. i love it, it has plenty of power and my 68" snow bucket on it is fantastic. mine picks up tons of snow with little effort at all. that being said the newer ones are belt driven and a lot smoother. i see 753s around for 7-9k all the time.

OP
OP
P

portsample

i have a 643, same machine with a slightly smaller engine and inverted rims. i love it, it has plenty of power and my 68" snow bucket on it is fantastic. mine picks up tons of snow with little effort at all. that being said the newer ones are belt driven and a lot smoother. i see 753s around for 7-9k all the time.
Yep, I've got a 753 on the radar also for $9.4k. It's got 2200 hrs and is reported to be fairly tight.

BobCat

Yep, I've got a 753 on the radar also for $9.4k. It's got 2200 hrs and is reported to be fairly tight.
I've got a 743B diesel about 2000hrs made back in 1993 and it's still running strong. With older machines as long as the hydraulics have been keep closed it should be clean. Look hard at the hrs and maintenance record if you're lucky enough to find one with? GREAT machine IMHO.

lfutrell

I've got a 743B diesel about 2000hrs made back in 1993 and it's still running strong. With older machines as long as the hydraulics have been keep closed it should be clean. Look hard at the hrs and maintenance record if you're lucky enough to find one with? GREAT machine IMHO.
I don't think anybody ever made one any tougher than the 743 They do ride a little rough because of the short wheelbase, But they are dependable and simple to work on. Good Luck

calypso428

I don't think anybody ever made one any tougher than the 743 They do ride a little rough because of the short wheelbase, But they are dependable and simple to work on. Good Luck
Port,

Last year I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a running 743 ... mines like a 91' model with 2850 hrs .... It was in pretty rough shape but with a little elbow grease, some new parts, hydro lines , and of course GREAT advice from everyone on this forum , it runs great ! I own cattle farms and had no idea just how much I could use this machine for . I use it for clearing out woods and trails and downed trees with the grapple ... I have used the bucket to clean out the pens in our cattle shipping barn, light grading work. I have stacked huge 7 foot bales of hay and loaded trailers and just all kinds of hard work. Its a really heavy lifter, well balanced , tough , easy-ish to work on and many parts are available since there are so many of these still in use today around the world... Go for it! I don't think your going to be able to put a larger engine in it but anythings possible.

reaperman

Is a engine upgrade possible? Maybe, but most likely not necessary. With skidsteers, its all about hydraulics, and traction. More power sometimes just means spinning the wheels easier. And the hydraulic system is going to do what its rated for. The 743 has proved itself as a great machine, it may be smallish by today's standards. But that doesnt take away its ability to do a job. Its very nimble, and strong. A 753 would be a small step up from 743 giving you basically the same machine with a few more ponies under the hood.

OP
OP
P

portsample

Is a engine upgrade possible? Maybe, but most likely not necessary. With skidsteers, its all about hydraulics, and traction. More power sometimes just means spinning the wheels easier. And the hydraulic system is going to do what its rated for. The 743 has proved itself as a great machine, it may be smallish by today's standards. But that doesnt take away its ability to do a job. Its very nimble, and strong. A 753 would be a small step up from 743 giving you basically the same machine with a few more ponies under the hood.
Thanks for the responses gents. The 743 that I've been looking at has an unknown history (broken Hobbs meter) as well as appears to have been worked hard. I'm leaning away from it. The 753 Series C that I'm looking at has 2,000 hours and appears clean. Question: How are the electronics with the 753c? Not having the electronics was a plus for me with the 743, but from what I've read the electronics are fairly reliable w/the 753...have readers found this to be true? Thanks again for shared wisdom and collective insight.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the responses gents. The 743 that I've been looking at has an unknown history (broken Hobbs meter) as well as appears to have been worked hard. I'm leaning away from it. The 753 Series C that I'm looking at has 2,000 hours and appears clean. Question: How are the electronics with the 753c? Not having the electronics was a plus for me with the 743, but from what I've read the electronics are fairly reliable w/the 753...have readers found this to be true? Thanks again for shared wisdom and collective insight.
If it doesn't have a BOSS system (no led display). and gas round gauges, it's pretty well bullet proof. The only electronics it has is for the aux hydraulic control and park brake. It has a BICS system that disengages the brake when the seat bar is down, just little safety things.
More power than the 743, the steering is a little nicer, but it makes you work harder as it has shock absorbers on the steering. The 743 doesn't, and is very light on the levers which makes using it all day less of a work out, just not as smooth.