cold weather hyraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Anthony K

Dealer here tells me they use warm weather grade hydraulic fluid when servicing their skid steers here in northern new mexico southern colorado and that the hydraulic warning light will come on until the hydraulics reach operating temp. Yesterday the overnight temp was about -12 F below my hydraulic fluid warning light stayed on for perhaps nearly one minute.on high or low idle. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome,Thanks.Anthony

Tazza

Staff member
My manual said for cold weather you should start the machine and let it sit and warm up. You can even engage the aux hydraulics so the oil goes over the relief to warm it up faster. When its taht cold there really isn't a lot you can do unless its in a heated shed. Fully sunthetic oil may help, but the cost is just insane.

skidsteer.ca

My manual said for cold weather you should start the machine and let it sit and warm up. You can even engage the aux hydraulics so the oil goes over the relief to warm it up faster. When its taht cold there really isn't a lot you can do unless its in a heated shed. Fully sunthetic oil may help, but the cost is just insane.
The light comes on from the oil not flowing through the filter fast enough because it is too thick. Just let the engine idle and the oil will warm as it circulates and the light will go off. Right after that it will likely come on again if you rev it up some. Slow increase the speed until you have 1/4 throttle or so, then drive the machine around a bit to move the warmer oil through the wheel motor, then start working your cylinders. If it takes more then 5 minutes to get the light out I would look for a thinner oil.
Ken

OP
OP
A

Anthony K

The light comes on from the oil not flowing through the filter fast enough because it is too thick. Just let the engine idle and the oil will warm as it circulates and the light will go off. Right after that it will likely come on again if you rev it up some. Slow increase the speed until you have 1/4 throttle or so, then drive the machine around a bit to move the warmer oil through the wheel motor, then start working your cylinders. If it takes more then 5 minutes to get the light out I would look for a thinner oil.
Ken
Thanks for the reply,I was worried that operating the machine may cause hydraulic pump or other damage,regardless of what the dealer claimed,Thanks you have put my mind at ease.Anthony