Changing only two of the tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rayder

My rear tires wore out a bit faster than the front, so I replaced only the rear ones.

This should be fine during the winter on snow and ice, but when summer come i figured the different circumference could cause problems. If it was around 5% i wouldnt even ask, but some measuring indicates 10% or more and that made me worried.

Can anyone share some thoughts or maybe even a spesific percentage on what difference is tolerated ?

Regarding the surface i will encounter, it may range from ice to paved roads. (I intend to do my best driving my skidsteer bravely where no skidsteer have been driven, sort of) ;)

Tazza

Staff member
The manual always says to replace them in sets. If you put two new tyres on, put them on one side. Especially if you drive on paved roads, you will put massive strain on your chains and sprockets.
In the snow or on dirt, no problem, but any sticky surface, you may break a chain.

OP
OP
R

Rayder

The manual always says to replace them in sets. If you put two new tyres on, put them on one side. Especially if you drive on paved roads, you will put massive strain on your chains and sprockets.
In the snow or on dirt, no problem, but any sticky surface, you may break a chain.
Thanks for the advise, a solution so obvious it did not cross my mind :p
However i have considered letting my snow-chains counter the difference by keeping them on the worn tires all year around.
Since i made them myself in a few hours from some old truck-chains with worndown spikes, they did not cost me anything and are "expendables".
Only drawback i can think of with chains is the extra attention i must give when turning on pavement etc.
Having brand new tires on one side would tilt the bucket an inch or so i guess. Not that i know if it matters for leveling surfaces.
So would you think using chains on the rear at summertime could be an option?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the advise, a solution so obvious it did not cross my mind :p
However i have considered letting my snow-chains counter the difference by keeping them on the worn tires all year around.
Since i made them myself in a few hours from some old truck-chains with worndown spikes, they did not cost me anything and are "expendables".
Only drawback i can think of with chains is the extra attention i must give when turning on pavement etc.
Having brand new tires on one side would tilt the bucket an inch or so i guess. Not that i know if it matters for leveling surfaces.
So would you think using chains on the rear at summertime could be an option?
I personally would have avoided it, the inch or so for me wouldn't really matter. Tyres aren't THAT expensive over here, if it was an issue and if the wear was so bad it may have been worth it to throw two more new tyres at it, then you know its right.
I see keeping chains on there doing more damage to the tyres. Snow/ice i figured would give more than concrete would, that and the scratching it will do when you turn.

OP
OP
R

Rayder

I personally would have avoided it, the inch or so for me wouldn't really matter. Tyres aren't THAT expensive over here, if it was an issue and if the wear was so bad it may have been worth it to throw two more new tyres at it, then you know its right.
I see keeping chains on there doing more damage to the tyres. Snow/ice i figured would give more than concrete would, that and the scratching it will do when you turn.
Thanks again
Tires in norway are around 350 US dollars worth each. I guess digging deeper in my wallet would be the place to start :)

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks again
Tires in norway are around 350 US dollars worth each. I guess digging deeper in my wallet would be the place to start :)
Ouch.... As i don't use mine commercially i just use cheapies. The last lot were just over $100, the quote i recently got was 120 each, still cheap. I'm sure they are not as good, but i just work in dirt around home, so it really doesn't matter.

tawilson1152

Ouch.... As i don't use mine commercially i just use cheapies. The last lot were just over $100, the quote i recently got was 120 each, still cheap. I'm sure they are not as good, but i just work in dirt around home, so it really doesn't matter.
Is the rear wearing more than the front normal? If so is a front to rear rotation in order after 400-500 hours?

OP
OP
R

Rayder

Is the rear wearing more than the front normal? If so is a front to rear rotation in order after 400-500 hours?
I have spoken to the professionals who had the machine earlier, they said rear tires wore out fastest and rotation was common.
This could of course be a result of their type of work, and be no issue for me.
After all im just a butcher with a proper toy in my backyard :)

skidsteer.ca

I have spoken to the professionals who had the machine earlier, they said rear tires wore out fastest and rotation was common.
This could of course be a result of their type of work, and be no issue for me.
After all im just a butcher with a proper toy in my backyard :)
Yes that is normal, they should be rotated front to rear as needed to keep the wear equal.
Ken