Case 75xt Coolant Light on but systems still green

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dhelcher

Hello all, Im hoping that some one here can help me out before i have to take my skid steer into the shop. 2 weeks ago i noticed that my coolant temperature warning light was on, i immediately stoped running the equipment and checked coolant level. Everything was fine, no boil over, but for good measure i ordered a replacement coolant temp sensor and parked it until the part arrived. The coolant temp sender did not fix the issue. On a cold start the light is off, as the skid steer warms up the light goes from very dim to brighter, but not as bright as the lap bar light. This time i had my temp gun with me, nothing read over the 156 degree mark, i know the thermostat is working because after start up and 5-10 minutes of running (just moving the skid steer) the radiator was cold @ 55 degrees. after about 15-20 minutes of light use it was up to 140 but the temp light was on. As i understand, that is well below the operating temp of a 4bt cummins. Any one have any ideas on this? I am at a loss and i cant just ignore the warning light, last thing i want is a blown head gasket. Thank you in advance for any advice or tips!

rjitreeman0909

Sounds like corrosion or damaged insulation on the sending unit to ground. As time goes by after a start, electrolytic action makes the leakage path more conductive. Could be an antifreeze/ water seeping leak. If you run machine with sensor disconnected and light comes on, try wiggling the wire, dry any moisture and follow that wire, you should find it.

OP
OP
D

dhelcher

Sounds like corrosion or damaged insulation on the sending unit to ground. As time goes by after a start, electrolytic action makes the leakage path more conductive. Could be an antifreeze/ water seeping leak. If you run machine with sensor disconnected and light comes on, try wiggling the wire, dry any moisture and follow that wire, you should find it.
It finally stopped raining out so i was able to do a little more troubleshooting. As soon as i disconnected the temp sender the light went out. I tested it on a ground and it lit up bright red (the level of brightness i would expect) When i touch the wire to the sender it is dim again. Any other suggestions on next steps?

OP
OP
D

dhelcher

It finally stopped raining out so i was able to do a little more troubleshooting. As soon as i disconnected the temp sender the light went out. I tested it on a ground and it lit up bright red (the level of brightness i would expect) When i touch the wire to the sender it is dim again. Any other suggestions on next steps?
I ended up throwing in the towel on this one. I am assuming that it is wiring but i was not successful in tracking it down. The skid steer is in the shop, ill update the fourm as soon as i find out what the issue is. Thanks for all of your help!

Tazza

Staff member
I ended up throwing in the towel on this one. I am assuming that it is wiring but i was not successful in tracking it down. The skid steer is in the shop, ill update the fourm as soon as i find out what the issue is. Thanks for all of your help!
Hopefully they will work it out quickly and won't be too nasty of a bill.

OP
OP
D

dhelcher

Hopefully they will work it out quickly and won't be too nasty of a bill.
Well, oddly enough my new part was bad as well. The dealer put in another new temp sender and it was all set. Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully this will help some one out in the future.

Latest posts