CASE 70 XT oil leakage questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mattsmith

The drive motor; leaks oil into chain compartment... On both sides... CASE; says ONLY fix, is to replace the motors, with new, "UPDATED," motors... To throw away the old ones. At approximately $1600.00 dollars each! (EACH) The motors models are, (177 0001 002) (VIS-40's) Charlynn EATON is the manufacturer... Sounds like a manufacturing flaw... IT should be recalled, anybody else have similar issues / problems; oil leaks, filters coming loose... Electrical problems? Etc... I have the CASE 70 XT. (POS) Reply when you can, any information would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sure you can simply replace the seals on the shafts, also it could be a restriction in the case drain line causing the seal(s) to fail. There is litle to no pressure here and the seals should be able to handle that pressure without any problems.

goose

drive motor deal leakage is a known problem on the small XT series. There was a fix as fail program but it expired a couple of years ago. The leak is not due to a bad seal it is caused by the loss of preload on the motor output shaft bearings. Replacing the motors is about the only option. There is a replacement shaft/bearing kit for the second generation motors but we have never installed one yet since the housings are also damaged by the bearing failure. I am thinking the new motors are about $1100.00 instead of $1600.00 I can check monday if you want a for sure price.

OP
OP
M

mattsmith

drive motor deal leakage is a known problem on the small XT series. There was a fix as fail program but it expired a couple of years ago. The leak is not due to a bad seal it is caused by the loss of preload on the motor output shaft bearings. Replacing the motors is about the only option. There is a replacement shaft/bearing kit for the second generation motors but we have never installed one yet since the housings are also damaged by the bearing failure. I am thinking the new motors are about $1100.00 instead of $1600.00 I can check monday if you want a for sure price.
please do check for me as , I am near calgary alberta canada

ksss

please do check for me as , I am near calgary alberta canada
I had an 03 that I put 1500 hours on one and never had that problem. I had a hyd. filter come loose but that is not a CASE problem but rather a dealer problem. What other issues are you having with the machine specifically.

skidsteer.ca

I had an 03 that I put 1500 hours on one and never had that problem. I had a hyd. filter come loose but that is not a CASE problem but rather a dealer problem. What other issues are you having with the machine specifically.
What models and years of machines are affected? How long do they last?
How many hours on your xt70 Matt?
If they are cheaper in the US I could bring them in and ship them out to you without any broker fees, only gst.
Ken

technic

We have a 75XT that I recently had apart for this issue. Took the bearing/shaft assembly to dealer to have checked and the bearings lost their preload. Fix was to replace just the bearing/shaft assembly. Believe was around $600 which is still pretty high. Wouldnt have done any good to just put a seal in with all that play would have been leaking before the end of the week again. Replaced shaft and has been fine since.

dsc4130

We have a 75XT that I recently had apart for this issue. Took the bearing/shaft assembly to dealer to have checked and the bearings lost their preload. Fix was to replace just the bearing/shaft assembly. Believe was around $600 which is still pretty high. Wouldnt have done any good to just put a seal in with all that play would have been leaking before the end of the week again. Replaced shaft and has been fine since.
goose, do you work at a case dealer?