Case 1740 Mech Clutch Not Working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

case1740

I recently purchased a Case 1740 skid loader. The drive train was rebuilt recently from the looks of things - last three years. I'm having an issue with the right side forward drive not working. I tried adjusting (tightening) the forward clutch (Right rear clutch) but it doesn't appear to have helped. Wondering if its possibly glazed or ? The other other clutches seem to be working fine. Looking for some troubleshooting ideas on what can be done.

OP
OP
C

case1740

I tightened the clutch up some more and heard the discs sliding. On closer inspection of the clutch I noticed the balls were actually splitting the clutch plate. Needs plates removed.

Tazza

Staff member
I tightened the clutch up some more and heard the discs sliding. On closer inspection of the clutch I noticed the balls were actually splitting the clutch plate. Needs plates removed.
Could they be too worn to make good contact?

the_0utsider1

Could they be too worn to make good contact?
Remove the tractor side panel. There is 1 big nut with a setscrew. if u loosend the setscrew(some versions have tab to lock position) and turn the nut CW. Tighten it and have someone push the handle fwd. each moving plates when they push fwd 'roll' there is a notch cut on each 'rolling' plate. Line up those lines to get the proper tension. If the big nut tightens all the way where it won't turn anymore, then the clutch plates are worn out. replace the 5 plates. If when u push the handle fwd, and the plates meet, and the plate 'bulges' out, then the clip on the ball bearing is missing or out of the slot.