Can't get side window out of cab to repair!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Yukonr

Hi guys, new to the forum other than lurking a few times. I'm stumped. I have a 2001 226 Cat with a factory enclosed cab. I broke the front side slider on the right. So I've got new glass from Cat, but to install it I have to remove the window assembly(front/back sliders and a stationary bottom glass all in an aluminum frame that bolts through from the outside holding the frame inside the cab). I've got the assembly free from the cab but it's trapped by the joystick on the bottom and the fuel gauge/switch pod on the top and the safety drop bar at the back. I took the cushion off the bar and it' real close to maybe fitting but worries me that I might get twisted and stuck or break(that tight). I thought about trying to take out the bar but with the wiring through that side it might not move very far without more grief. I took out the screw on the very front of the pod but that didn't get me very far. I' m not sure what holds it to the roof. There are 2 big bolts, really hard to get , at top edge window channel but they're pretty far back to have nothing else hold the forward part of the pod. Does anyone know how to get out the RH pod? I think it might be the key to getting the window out. Any suggestions? Cheers

OP
OP
Y

Yukonr

Ok, so I got the window frame out of the cab. The gauge/switch pod has to come out, which means the plate across the top of the door jam has to come off but to get at the bolts you have to remove the lights and then you still have to take out the roof glass because the pod won't slip past it. Whew, it's like the glass is the first thing in the cab when they build all around it. Bigger job than I thought it would be. Now I have to try and figure out how to get the new glass into the frame. It looks like I can cut the sealant from the stationary bottom glass and twist out the horizontal divider bar that the sliders sit on. I'll update how it goes. I couldn't find anything online of how to do this, so hopefully this will help the next guy with a busted window.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, so I got the window frame out of the cab. The gauge/switch pod has to come out, which means the plate across the top of the door jam has to come off but to get at the bolts you have to remove the lights and then you still have to take out the roof glass because the pod won't slip past it. Whew, it's like the glass is the first thing in the cab when they build all around it. Bigger job than I thought it would be. Now I have to try and figure out how to get the new glass into the frame. It looks like I can cut the sealant from the stationary bottom glass and twist out the horizontal divider bar that the sliders sit on. I'll update how it goes. I couldn't find anything online of how to do this, so hopefully this will help the next guy with a busted window.
You sure are having a job getting the new glass in.
Can the dealer you got the glass from give and advise?

OP
OP
Y

Yukonr

You sure are having a job getting the new glass in.
Can the dealer you got the glass from give and advise?
This has been a b!tch of a job. Cutting the sealant between the sliders and the bottom stationary glass doesn't work either. With the window assembly out, you have to undo the screws holding the frame together (4 at the bottom center) and keep working the frame open (the back side seems the best) until you get it far enough to pop the glass into the track and work it back closed again. Then it's on to reassembly. It's best to take the wires off the front right hand light so you can swing the pod out of the way across the back shelf. Then get the window into the cab, properly oriented BUT DONT SCREW IT IN PLACE YET. that's where I went wrong (again????). I bolted the window into place and then realized that I couldn't get the rear bolts for the pod back in because the window frame was in the way(when I took the pod OUT, the window was already loose in the cab, forgot that). Anyway, it's fixed. Gotta have glass in it, I just got a 72" snowblower (which is awesome! Just wish it would snow more) It may be easier to remove the joystick but I didn't know how. I think it would have fit then without removing the pod. Does anybody know how easy/hard it is to remove the RH joystick and how short can you get it? Cheers

Tazza

Staff member
This has been a b!tch of a job. Cutting the sealant between the sliders and the bottom stationary glass doesn't work either. With the window assembly out, you have to undo the screws holding the frame together (4 at the bottom center) and keep working the frame open (the back side seems the best) until you get it far enough to pop the glass into the track and work it back closed again. Then it's on to reassembly. It's best to take the wires off the front right hand light so you can swing the pod out of the way across the back shelf. Then get the window into the cab, properly oriented BUT DONT SCREW IT IN PLACE YET. that's where I went wrong (again????). I bolted the window into place and then realized that I couldn't get the rear bolts for the pod back in because the window frame was in the way(when I took the pod OUT, the window was already loose in the cab, forgot that). Anyway, it's fixed. Gotta have glass in it, I just got a 72" snowblower (which is awesome! Just wish it would snow more) It may be easier to remove the joystick but I didn't know how. I think it would have fit then without removing the pod. Does anybody know how easy/hard it is to remove the RH joystick and how short can you get it? Cheers
Wow, you sure had a battle doing that job, i think i would have given up long ago.....