Cat 299D2 has no power all of a sudden

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

trider

A few days ago I went to start my Cat 299D2 and it was dead as a hammer. I had just ran it 3-4 days prior with no issues. I thought maybe the battery was dead so I threw a jump box on it and the jump box was showing the battery was ready 12 volts. The machine still wouldn't do anything. I tried turning off the power disconnect inside the motor compartment and turning it back on. When I did this I was able to start the machine just fine. I got out and let it idle while I got the trailer ramps down. The machine idles up a little for a minute or two then went back to a normal idle for a couple of minutes then the machine just died and it had no power what so ever again. Tried the disconnect key again and it didn't change anything. I have been unable to get power and have a giant paper weight for the time being. What should I start checking/looking at?

Serial # CAT0299DEFD205351

Thank you all for the help!

foton

turning the power on and off and having it start, kinda tells me it knew there was something wrong and you temp. cleared the code and when it ran for awhile it seen there is something wrong and turned itself off. look to see if there is any codes on the screen and figure out what they mean. It might not hurt to check all the battery connections, including the battery disconnect switch,and grounds.

OP
OP
T

trider

I will check the battery connections and disconnect. Are there any frame grounds I need to be aware of like vehicles have? I can't see if there are any codes and it is 100% dead power wise. When you turn the key nothing lights up or comes on and nothing is making any noise. The machine has about 900 hours on it and has always ran like a top without any issues.

foton

you will need a electrical schematic to see all the ground locations on the machine, but for now just trace out all you can see from the engine bay and a machine that new there could be paint under a ground connector, so it might now hurt to remove a few and see if they have paint underneath them.

Latest posts