Can't Decide: 259D3 or 289D3

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hello all,

I am trying to decide between a 259D3 or a 289D3. About 3 weeks ago I put in an order for a 259D3. While the machine was coming in my dealer let me demo (an already demo'd) 289D3. It's a 2022 model with roughly 36 hours on it. The unit is pretty darn clean. The only issue I have with the machine is the left track has about a 4" rip in it. (see attached). I'll be trading in my 333G. So if I go with the 289D3, I owe roughly 3K on the trade.

If I do with the 259D3 (which will be here tomorrow) I'd be getting back around 9K on the trade. Not sure what to do. The 289D3 is insanely smooth to drive. Hydraulics are very smooth. I was lifting some larger items around my property and the machine didn't break a sweat. I just have a hard time with the rip in the track. The dealer is selling it "as is". It will have a warrenty as if it were a new machine, but I'm told the wearables don't have a warrenty unless it's some short of manufacturing flaw. The last person to demo it must have ran over something. The poly window in the 289D3 also has a little scuff mark in the upper/middle of the door.

I don't do a ton of dirt work. Over the years I only put 200 hours on my 333G. I will say in 1st gear/speed on the 289D3 its pretty slow. Slower than my 333G. That in itself is kind of a deal breaker, but I can work around that. The entire reason I ordered the 259D3 was I wanted something a little smaller foot print wise and frame wise; getting away from DEF is an added bonus. Being in the 289D3 I didn't feel like I was in a smaller machine.

What would you guys do?

IMG_0194.jpegIMG_0190.jpegIMG_0188.jpeg

foton

I do not know how long it took you to rack up 200 hours on the 333 but you say years, with that use a damaged track will outlast that amount of time. I have heard of people using wire to stitch tears before to keep them from further ripping. Now it does have to be redone as needed. You need to do some research on the def system that cat uses and see if it is as trouble free as it can be. Other wise get the non def system and have a simplier machine.

OP
OP
wifi_guy
I actually ended up going with the 259D3. So far great machine. Came from factory with 3 hours on it, some of that was most likely PDI hours.

Loving the machine so far. This came with the Ultra Package. I ended up getting the hydraulic override switch installed at the dealer. Tested that out on my wood chipper, worked great. So far this is a great machine. The funny part, when I went to the dealer, the 259D3 was parked next to a 289D3. There aren't massive differences in size here, I was kind of surprised. The machine is a little narrower and the highest point of the lift arms sit a littler lower.

Anyone know how to activate High Flow? My machine came with a jumper from the deal that when plugged in is supposed to actviate it. Pins K and B are linked together far as I can tell. From the research I have done, that should be correct. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?