Bobcat S130 chaincase cover

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BaysideNZ

Hey guys,

Got a 2004 S130 with 2700 hours and have just noticed some oil leaking from the front chaincase cover. Have cleaned it and went to remove the cover only to find the gasket is in multiple pieces. My first thought is to remove and replace the gasket but there is no way I can remove the 2 front bolts as they clash with the main frame. Am I missing something? It has obviously been leaking water as the oil is very milky also.

I only see 2 options - Strip the thing down and repair this and a couple other small issues, do some rust repair and repaint (was hoping to do this later in the year anyway), or gasket goo and RTV the cover up, replace the oil and just monitor it...

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

reaperman

The gaskets didnt work too well they let in water thus the milky oil. Instead bobcat sells a caulk or a poly seal that is used instead that doesnt leak. You could also go to a NAPA and find a good poly seal caulk that would also work. I'd replace the oil with any cheap oil you can find. I believe 10w-30 was used from the factory. But its only for splash lubrication so any weight oil would do, a thinner oil (5w-30) may be better if you live in a cold climate. But now is the time to change it, its not hard. Once empty, splash some diesel fuel around the inside to clean things up a bit.

OP
OP
B

BaysideNZ

Cheers reaperman. I'll definitely be changing that oil and doing away with the gasket.

Main problem is removing the two front bolts on the cover plate, Only way i can see to get them out is lift the main frame off the base/chain case frame.

OP
OP
B

BaysideNZ

E9860EF1-AB5D-440E-9E8B-EA700E7C67E2.jpeg

brdgbldr

Cheers reaperman. I'll definitely be changing that oil and doing away with the gasket.

Main problem is removing the two front bolts on the cover plate, Only way i can see to get them out is lift the main frame off the base/chain case frame.
I'm not positive, but if you unscrew the bolts as far as possible, can you slide them out while still in the cover plate? If they are the original bolts they should be tapered at the end. This should allow you to slide the plat a little bit and that should give you a little bit more room to screw them out further and so on.

Just a thought. Otherwise you can always get the hacksaw out.

thwerench

I'm thinking cutting them too. By the looks of it can you get at them to cut the heads off? If so you could replace them with shorter bolts and cut a slot in the cover from the bolt holes to the end so you could slide the cover into place after laying down a bead of good sealant and tighten it down

Thedon

How did you end up with your bolts mate? Just had a read of this for some tips. I must have got lucky as mine came straight out.
I've got some intermittent leaks from the drive seals. I thought how can it stop leaking? When it's out of oil! But opened it up and had the same issue. Milky oil. And some rusty shavings in the bottom. Time to have a crack at draining it with a 12v transfer pump.

reaperman

There is also a drain plug on the front of the machine. If I remember I jacked the rear of the machine up so the oil could drain.

Latest posts