Bobcat going bye-bye???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcat_ron

I got this from a little birdy on Lawnsite:

" Gwinner bobcat plant was producing over 125 bobcats a day , when IR was owning them. IN june gwinner was down to 55 a day. and they were told the IR flooded the market, and stored bobcats in warehouses all over the U.S. must be blind in Bismarck. "

" Consider these facts. During the 2002-2006 contract, management began a "zero inventory" program. They wanted to only keep a two day supply of parts needed to complete any given machine in the Bismarck facility. That did not happen on a regular basis. At the same time and even closer to the expiration of that contract, we were building on average, 10 - 13 machines per day that had no end buyer. At the same time we were forced to work overtime to build this inventory that was not moving because the housing market was already slowing down at that time. A failure to recognize that the inventory level of finished product had grown enormously did not curb the Overtime. So the company paid a higher wage to saturate an already full inventory of equipment on their own lot. This completely contradicted their philosophy of letting the market pull the orders for new equipment. Also contradictory to the zero inventory philosophy. The main worry bobcat has had for the past decade has been market share. They figured if they kept alot of unsold machines on the lot, that they could flood the market at a moments notice, say in a natural disaster or something of that nature, would cause a sudden demand for their product, instead of going with the normal build cycle. As the economy turned farther south, they continued to build for the non-existent customer. Poor management practice in my books. A multi-billion dollar company such as Bobcat should be able to have a better heads up to this than they have. A thinning out of the mis managers could do nothing but improve this situation and avoid future layoffs. I remember a time when overtime was worked because the demand was greater and for the most part, was a part of the demand cycle, but to keep excessively manufacturing products that are not moving, is not a very good business practice. Good luck to all those getting laid off, and don't forget to speak up when you feel like Bobcat is making more poor business dec!
isions. "

" Does anyone know that IR saturated the market with products before they sold to Doosan? They were so overstocked they couldn't find storage space for all of the equipment. Shouldn't some of the "fault" be placed on IR? With all of the other factors, the market saturation played a part in what is happening now. The fat cats at IR aren't worried though. "

"Bobcat has shut down other U.S. facilities. They closed, yes closed/ceased operations, permanently, their plant in Carrollton, Georgia, ( Attachments Plants) as well as another plant in Virginia, operated by a sister company. They've also let go nearly 4 dozen engineering employees in Bismarck and Gwinner in recent weeks, so this isn't just affecting hourly/factory employees. As well, employees in NC were recently let go and these were salaried employees".

Has Bobcat screwed themselves good now?

perry

It could very well be, and most likely, the result of our current economic climate?, I see some guys selling (or trying to sell) their entire rigs!. I know that some BC dealers have a yard full of repossessed machines. It'll all work out, just take some time....imo.

Fishfiles

I totally don' buy it this story Ron ,yet, some of it may be true but there is and has been a shortage of Bobcats around the New Orleans area for a long while , there is a waiting list on T 190, 250 , 300 , and this has been going on since before Katrina which is 3 years plus now ,the machines are sold before they are ever here , you can hardly ever walk in and buy what you really want , nobody wants the Cats around here , the Cat dealer has them lined up like an auto dealer ship , I will try and take a pic next time I am over there , there must be 80 tracked loaders in rows , it's something to see ----- maybe it's only certain models that there is a shortage of and they over stocked on models that didn't sell well , I know the Terra loaders can't be given away , Genie/Terex and Lull rule that line around here , the Bobcat dealer does have about 60 assorted machines on the lot right now , but he has always had about the same ------- thanks for the bait , I will start casting my line tomorrow and see what I can hook into and give a report on what I can catch

latrobe

I totally don' buy it this story Ron ,yet, some of it may be true but there is and has been a shortage of Bobcats around the New Orleans area for a long while , there is a waiting list on T 190, 250 , 300 , and this has been going on since before Katrina which is 3 years plus now ,the machines are sold before they are ever here , you can hardly ever walk in and buy what you really want , nobody wants the Cats around here , the Cat dealer has them lined up like an auto dealer ship , I will try and take a pic next time I am over there , there must be 80 tracked loaders in rows , it's something to see ----- maybe it's only certain models that there is a shortage of and they over stocked on models that didn't sell well , I know the Terra loaders can't be given away , Genie/Terex and Lull rule that line around here , the Bobcat dealer does have about 60 assorted machines on the lot right now , but he has always had about the same ------- thanks for the bait , I will start casting my line tomorrow and see what I can hook into and give a report on what I can catch
I don't know about Bobcat going bye-bye, but it is true that the Carrollton, Ga plant is going bye-bye as of Nov. 23 . One hundred and forty seven jobs gone ( around 300 jobs at one point). Rumor has it their going to Mexico. I, m afraid its going to get worst before it gets better , good luck to all.

YellowDog

I think you are going to see a revamp of the way things are done with Bobcat. It is probably a good bet that jobs will head to Mexico and overseas given the tax climate of the US. It is a sure thing it the next President makes the business atmosphere even more unfriendly. I have always wondered why my local dealer had rows and rows of machines in the yard. I would go back, though, a few weeks later and many were gone so I am assuming the are selling machines and not just shuffling them around. It took me 5 weeks to get an s330 delivered this summer. The build time and wait for parts was hampered because, I was told, demand for parts. We'll have to see what happens..

Land-Tech

I think you are going to see a revamp of the way things are done with Bobcat. It is probably a good bet that jobs will head to Mexico and overseas given the tax climate of the US. It is a sure thing it the next President makes the business atmosphere even more unfriendly. I have always wondered why my local dealer had rows and rows of machines in the yard. I would go back, though, a few weeks later and many were gone so I am assuming the are selling machines and not just shuffling them around. It took me 5 weeks to get an s330 delivered this summer. The build time and wait for parts was hampered because, I was told, demand for parts. We'll have to see what happens..
Ron ,your emotional detachment for Bobcat as a brand and the stories you have posted as factual are still just stories and maybe a little wishing on your part. I am still waiting for my windows and doors on my 331 and 435 to fall off. Every manafacture in the world is slowing down and cutting back along with used machines being dumped which cuts into new sales. you seem to think that these cutbacks are due to the poor quality of the machine but I think these adjustments are due to the poor quality of the global economy.shutting down a factory that sells attachments is a cost cutting measure and a bummer for those who lose there jobs. I do think it is going to be worse next season and you will see a lot more failures.catapillar is having a hard time too. Ron, show us what you actually do with your cat other than a show and shine and I might have a little more respect for your opinion. thanks scott