bobcat 873F (99) fuel leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ktmryan53

I have a used bobcat that i have put about 500hrs on since owning and it has been pretty trouble free. I has always had a little white smoke on start up. I was using it yesterday and saw I was leaving a line of drips and a puddle where I had parked it. I opened the back door and the 2nd injector from left was leaking like crazy. Enough that your can see pouring down the block. I looks to be coming from the nut from feed line or the return line. I checked nut and it was tight restarted and leaking from same location. However with some much stuff covered in diesel I am unsure if maybe it is the body of injector spewing? Still runs fine with leak no real lack of power so I dont think there is any hydrolock issue or anything internal going on. I dont think it could be the copper crush washer because it is that high up on injector and didnt spew pressurized diesel all over the back door. Any ideas on what to look for, test, ect would be great. Bobcat diagram does not have a part number for a complete injector only items to rebuild one.

Tazza

Staff member
That is not ideal, fuel flowing over a hot engine, there is potential fire right there.
It's possible the high pressure line has cracked, or the line is not seated correctly. The nut may be tight, but if the line is not seated in the injector correctly, it can leak.
I'd take the nut off and see if the line is sitting nicely in the injector, if not, you can bend the line a bit to get it to sit right, hopefully fixing the leak.

OP
OP
K

ktmryan53

That is not ideal, fuel flowing over a hot engine, there is potential fire right there.
It's possible the high pressure line has cracked, or the line is not seated correctly. The nut may be tight, but if the line is not seated in the injector correctly, it can leak.
I'd take the nut off and see if the line is sitting nicely in the injector, if not, you can bend the line a bit to get it to sit right, hopefully fixing the leak.
I agree that the leaking fuel is bad but i have a fire extinguisher now. I passed on the line not being seated because it started suddenly and the machine is used indoor on flat concrete so it isnt being bounced around and out in the elements like most skid steers. After I check line and re tighten just pump up the black ball to get air out and crack filter bleeder?

1ofU

I agree that the leaking fuel is bad but i have a fire extinguisher now. I passed on the line not being seated because it started suddenly and the machine is used indoor on flat concrete so it isnt being bounced around and out in the elements like most skid steers. After I check line and re tighten just pump up the black ball to get air out and crack filter bleeder?
I have used a white out pen before to check for cracked housings , as well as checked for leaks . 1ofU

Tazza

Staff member
I have used a white out pen before to check for cracked housings , as well as checked for leaks . 1ofU
I have never had to bleed an injector after removing a line, they seem to self bleed, the engine may run rouch for a few seconds after startup, but should clear up.

Tlawdogg

I have a 863F, mine had a leak. It was the 3.5mm fuel line. Just a tiny Crack. Which I could not see but narrowed the location. Then had my son start the machine while I watched. Instantly found it. I replaced all of those injector hoses. No leaks. Did not have to mess with fuel bulb either.

The line was just old and gave up.

Markle

I think your problem is caused by fuel pressure coming from the return side
Right. I have an 873 F and have replaced the diesel return lines coming from the injectors twice ( about once every 3 years). These lines are fabric coated rubber, and run proximal to the exhaust muffler. A very common issue with this machine.

oiu789

I was replacing the injector return lines about every 2 to 3 years with line I got from the auto parts store. Did not like fuel leaks in the engine
compartment so I got line from a injection repair shop cost more but have not had any leaks in the last 5 years. You could also check how much return you have by unhooking the return line to the tank then put on a line and place the end in a bottle and measure how much over time. I do not know the spec for this but I am sure some one knows. Ask a diesel pump/injector tech or a bobcat tech they should know. If it seems high you could have pump or injector problems.