Bobcat 873 Timing Belt Change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rmj

Just bought 1998 873 with 1120 hours (Deutz engine). Debating on changing timing belt. Would like some opinions. Thanks

OP
OP
R

rmj

Thks for the input mrdeere1959. The previous owner said local Bobcat mechanic told him to change it before 2000 hours. But, I think I will change it to be safe. Now I need to buy a Factory Service Manual. Any suggestions where I can buy one? Thks

sstec

Thks for the input mrdeere1959. The previous owner said local Bobcat mechanic told him to change it before 2000 hours. But, I think I will change it to be safe. Now I need to buy a Factory Service Manual. Any suggestions where I can buy one? Thks
Go directly to EPU.com , do not pass go . . . . . . Order your parts and rent the tools from them. I know this sounds like an add , but it's not. Ron will send you the parts , tools and deutz manual (like 9 pages) for setting the belt timing and tension. I learned the hard way. I have the bobcat manual, bought the pins and belt kit on ebay. After bending the intake rods, called EPU. Ron gave me his cell phone number and said if I had any questions to call. I did on a Saturday , he answered and cleared up my question and was dead on the first time. . . . I just wish I would have started there first. His prices are more then fair IMO even more so with his support. . . After you do one it will make a lot more sense . . . . . . My 873 only had 1500 hrs and had been changed once and was not right even then. . . . . . sstec

OP
OP
R

rmj

Go directly to EPU.com , do not pass go . . . . . . Order your parts and rent the tools from them. I know this sounds like an add , but it's not. Ron will send you the parts , tools and deutz manual (like 9 pages) for setting the belt timing and tension. I learned the hard way. I have the bobcat manual, bought the pins and belt kit on ebay. After bending the intake rods, called EPU. Ron gave me his cell phone number and said if I had any questions to call. I did on a Saturday , he answered and cleared up my question and was dead on the first time. . . . I just wish I would have started there first. His prices are more then fair IMO even more so with his support. . . After you do one it will make a lot more sense . . . . . . My 873 only had 1500 hrs and had been changed once and was not right even then. . . . . . sstec
Thanks for the info sstec. I will look into it.

7LBSSMALLIE

How long did it take to change the belt? I want to do this too but I don't know if it is a job for a DIY guy or if I need to bring it to a shop.
this comes up time and time again , good post on loaner tools , two pins and belt tension guage should not be 2500 bucks; not a hard job, as a pro id quote three probally more lik two if still factory,. read the book #4 is opposite of where you would think, couple of easy mistakes is to 180 it. another is the cam pin. look in the hole . the crank is positve the cam can get you one tooth offf. #2 mistake is not loosing the cam gear.seen been there done it, the man lays it out straight, follow it (except for trusting the bpin for cam) to be clear . pull #1 glow roll till feel it small wire in hole for tdc, atdc back off put in crank pin roll till positve stop ,at this point cam hole should be centered,

Bobcatdan

this comes up time and time again , good post on loaner tools , two pins and belt tension guage should not be 2500 bucks; not a hard job, as a pro id quote three probally more lik two if still factory,. read the book #4 is opposite of where you would think, couple of easy mistakes is to 180 it. another is the cam pin. look in the hole . the crank is positve the cam can get you one tooth offf. #2 mistake is not loosing the cam gear.seen been there done it, the man lays it out straight, follow it (except for trusting the bpin for cam) to be clear . pull #1 glow roll till feel it small wire in hole for tdc, atdc back off put in crank pin roll till positve stop ,at this point cam hole should be centered,
Spec is 3000 hr for the belt. I start recommanding at 2500 hrs. Personally at 1100 hrs, I would not worry about. Personally I can't recall when I have ever seen one fail way early. If you do decide to do it, belt tension is very important. If you don't get to the right spec an the first try, do it again. I have ton a belts and still once in while have to set it twice.

sstec

How long did it take to change the belt? I want to do this too but I don't know if it is a job for a DIY guy or if I need to bring it to a shop.
I would say with proper tools in hand, the first time maybe 3 hours including adjusting the valves. The second time around maybe 2 hours. As stated above, the mistake about not loosening the cam gear from the shaft, I think this is what was the issue with my machine. It takes a IPR30 security bit to remove the cover ( like a torx with a hole in it, but a 5 point star) once cover was off, my belt was tight from the crank to the oil pump and cam gear but loose from the cam gear to the crank. According to Ron at EPU the cam gear is where the slack is adjusted in the belt. With timing pins set the gear needs to be reset to the shaft. Deutz manual is quite a bit more in depth then the Bobcat manual. I did mine and got it right with EPU's help. Will I do it again ? You bet, and would do one for anyone else I know. sstec

bluedog

I would say with proper tools in hand, the first time maybe 3 hours including adjusting the valves. The second time around maybe 2 hours. As stated above, the mistake about not loosening the cam gear from the shaft, I think this is what was the issue with my machine. It takes a IPR30 security bit to remove the cover ( like a torx with a hole in it, but a 5 point star) once cover was off, my belt was tight from the crank to the oil pump and cam gear but loose from the cam gear to the crank. According to Ron at EPU the cam gear is where the slack is adjusted in the belt. With timing pins set the gear needs to be reset to the shaft. Deutz manual is quite a bit more in depth then the Bobcat manual. I did mine and got it right with EPU's help. Will I do it again ? You bet, and would do one for anyone else I know. sstec
I just bought an 863 Bobcat and hoping to put a new belt in it soon. Wish me luck!

173rdABNVN

I just bought an 863 Bobcat and hoping to put a new belt in it soon. Wish me luck!
did mine on 863. Bought the pins and tensionerN and watched the video from the co I bought the pins from. Not a hard job but suggest you watch the video and go by the steps in it