Bobcat 773 starter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

triad

Now and then the starter wont spin when I turn the key. I walk away for 15 minutes and it works. Yesterday I took a wire from the pos. connection to the starter and started it. To me this sounds like the solenoid is bad. Is it cheaper to pull the starter and have it rebuilt or buy a new one? Thanks Steve

thetool

If you're talking about the solenoid on your starter, hold on before you pull it. If it starts every time you jump the starter with a wire, that usually indicates the start solenoid is good.
If it won't spin every time with the key, however, it may not be your starter. Keyswitch contacts go bad and start getting unreliable, and there is a relay switch between the key and sarter that could be hanging up. If it's a G-series machine with the fuse/relay box down by your feet, the relays have been known to work themselves loose from the sockets, and that would cause your problem.
I've found it's generally less expensive to have the starter rebuilt at a shop than buy a new one.
Good Luck.

Tazza

Staff member
If you're talking about the solenoid on your starter, hold on before you pull it. If it starts every time you jump the starter with a wire, that usually indicates the start solenoid is good.
If it won't spin every time with the key, however, it may not be your starter. Keyswitch contacts go bad and start getting unreliable, and there is a relay switch between the key and sarter that could be hanging up. If it's a G-series machine with the fuse/relay box down by your feet, the relays have been known to work themselves loose from the sockets, and that would cause your problem.
I've found it's generally less expensive to have the starter rebuilt at a shop than buy a new one.
Good Luck.
Agreed!
Jumping it that way eliminates the starting circuit from the key. As mentioned thats key switch contacts and a relay. If it starts from the starter every time your problem is further back the line be it a wire, connection, relay or key switch.

OP
OP
T

triad

Agreed!
Jumping it that way eliminates the starting circuit from the key. As mentioned thats key switch contacts and a relay. If it starts from the starter every time your problem is further back the line be it a wire, connection, relay or key switch.
Thanks for the help. I thought about the switch first thing and looked at the connections which were clean. The switch itself could be the culprit tho huh? I will go over that and the relay. The key started it fine SEVERAL times today. Now I have a problem with the fuel filter not staying full and keeping the pump fed. I have an idea whats going on but I will put up another post if I get lost. Thanks again.

Fishfiles

Thanks for the help. I thought about the switch first thing and looked at the connections which were clean. The switch itself could be the culprit tho huh? I will go over that and the relay. The key started it fine SEVERAL times today. Now I have a problem with the fuel filter not staying full and keeping the pump fed. I have an idea whats going on but I will put up another post if I get lost. Thanks again.
I agree with Da'Tool as I have had to put a piece of rubber under the fuse /relay box cover to help hold the relays in place as they are notorious for popping out --------check you battery terminal connections and the ground cable , seen the ground have a bad connection because the steel cracks on the lug where it makes that 90 degree bend at the bell housing

Latest posts