Bobcat 773 sprocket nut

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bvinson9

Good Morning,

I'm in the process of changing a bad wheel bearing and have a question about the sprocket nut in the chain case. Are these reverse threads? Having a hard time getting it to break loose.

Thanks

brdgbldr

Good Morning,

I'm in the process of changing a bad wheel bearing and have a question about the sprocket nut in the chain case. Are these reverse threads? Having a hard time getting it to break loose.

Thanks
They are not reverse thread. They are however high torque. I'm not sure of the torque for the 773 ( Not sure why they were left out in my "bobcat Loader Technical Service Guide"), but the torque for the 743 is 225-300 ft-lbs. (The 7753 is listed as "220-245 ft-lbs).

What I have done in the past to loosen those bolts is I made a plate that bolts on the hub that has a 1-1/2" nut welded to the center of it. I put a wrench on the axle sprocket nut inside the chain case and brace it against the case. Then I use a wrench and cheater bar on the nut on my hub plate and turn the entire axle.

Of course this method does require that the machine be up on jack-stands and the motor hoses removed to allow the axles to turn.

foton

I am pretty sure I got it from harbor freight years ago but I have a 3/4 drive torque wrench that is gotta be 42 inches long goes to 600 ft lbs of torque. it might be something to look at, no cheater piece of pipe required. and it has worked perfectly. ( I know it is hard to believe from harbor freight.) down side then you will need 3/4 drive sockets.

gjinc

1689605317993.png

gjinc

I put the wrench on the bolt, tapped the wood in between the bolt heads to keep the wrench on, held the rod on the wrench and beat on it. Have to make sure the wheel/axle is not spinning with each hit. About 30 good hits hits and it was loose.

OP
OP
B

bvinson9

I am pretty sure I got it from harbor freight years ago but I have a 3/4 drive torque wrench that is gotta be 42 inches long goes to 600 ft lbs of torque. it might be something to look at, no cheater piece of pipe required. and it has worked perfectly. ( I know it is hard to believe from harbor freight.) down side then you will need 3/4 drive sockets.
Thanks

OP
OP
B

bvinson9

Guys,

Thanks for you guys help. I was able to get nut loose using a pipe as a cheater bar. I also discovered that the back wheel bearing was bad as well. ( Pretty much non existent) so i pulled the back axle as well. I did an inspection of the left side wheel bearings and they looked okay but i have some side to side movement. Is this normal? Im thinking I need to go ahead and replace those as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

brdgbldr

Guys,

Thanks for you guys help. I was able to get nut loose using a pipe as a cheater bar. I also discovered that the back wheel bearing was bad as well. ( Pretty much non existent) so i pulled the back axle as well. I did an inspection of the left side wheel bearings and they looked okay but i have some side to side movement. Is this normal? Im thinking I need to go ahead and replace those as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Side to side movement is not normal.

Bobcat also sells an axle washer to take up end play. They are set up so they each side of the washer is a different amount. It goes between the axle bolt and the sprocket.

OP
OP
B

bvinson9

Side to side movement is not normal.

Bobcat also sells an axle washer to take up end play. They are set up so they each side of the washer is a different amount. It goes between the axle bolt and the sprocket.
Thanks a lot!