Bobcat 751 - seized

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

APB2350

I have a 1999 Bobcat 751 (series F) with a Kubota 1903 E engine that sat in a field for 2 years and suffered Canadian weather (hot summers, cold winters) and didn't have time to look at it until recently, and now it won't crank. I've inspected the fuel system and electrical system and everything is fine. When you turn the key to start you get a click and nothing. Does anyone have experience with testing if the engine is seized? I have located the crankshaft but it appears to be splined and don't have a fitting for it to try to hand-turn it. Any suggestions?

Also, I've installed a new starter and a new battery.

cdmccul

Try to turn it by hand by grabbing the alternator belt? Check oil? You might have a starter that's for a dead spot, too.

foton

to make thinks turn over easier , pull the glow plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder and then try to turn it over, if it rolls over then you will know it is not stuck and the oil will not hurt anything and is problably a good thing to do since it has been sitting for awhile. then since you got them out check the glow plugs to make sure they are good berfore reinstalling.

foton

if it is stuck you might need to put a large wrench on the crank bolt and rock it forward and back hopefully it will loosen up. check the engine oil make sure no water is there. good luck

Tazza

Staff member
The snout of the crank is splined, but there is a nut that holds the front pulley on, get a socket to suit it and see if you can turn it by hand.

The alternative is to use a pipe wrench on the snout of the crank, see if you can rotate it. If it's siezed, you have some investigating to do, it could be multiple things making it lock up

oiu789

Wrap some leather or heavy material such a rubber plastic tin from a can aluminum to protect the splines and use a pipe wrench or large vice grips and try to turn it forward and backwards. If it is still stuck pull the glow plugs and soak cylinders with penetrating oil of your choice. If it comes free rotate with the starter with the glow plus out several time to clear the cylinders replace the plugs and see if starts let it idle for a few minutes. If you can rotate the engine your starter could be froze up and not pulling in. Take it to a parts store they usually will test it for free.

Clicking sound when trying to crack over is starter solenoid in most cases.

Use a test light to see if you have power on the little wire while trying to crank if you do have power than you have a bad starter / solenoid

Jyuma1

I had the same problem with my Kobota 1902B. Turns out the vertical muffler had rusted and allowed water into a cylinder via an open exhaust valve. I too changed the starter and battery, but nothing could get that engine to turn over due to hydro lock.

I pulled the head, removed the water and used a bottle jack between the piston and the loader frame to free the rusted piston. That was 10 years ago (or so) and the engine still runs fine today.