Bobcat 751-C question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scfatboy

I just purchased my first bobcat yesterday. After searching through the internet today I'm not so sure I made a smart purchase. Ok, I bought a 1997 751-C model bobcat with 1487hrs for $7000. It is in really good shape. It has the Peugeot XUD9 engine in it. Thats what has me worried. I have not been able to find anyone saying anything good about this engine. But I have not found anyone that can tell me just what kind of problems people have had with it either. If anyone has had experience or nightmares with this engine I would like to hear your stories. I am going to be using the bobcat for personal use clearing some land and moving brush. Thanks.

Tigerotor77W

I was under the impression that the Peugeot engine worked well for 751 owners. I know Melroe did some serious testing at the time the engine was being evaluated and those went over well. Stuz might have some more information as he's very well versed in skids... if anyone would know, it'd probably be him.

StuZ

I was under the impression that the Peugeot engine worked well for 751 owners. I know Melroe did some serious testing at the time the engine was being evaluated and those went over well. Stuz might have some more information as he's very well versed in skids... if anyone would know, it'd probably be him.
The Peugeot engine was used to get the price of the Kubota engine down, plain and simple But now that you have 1, and I take it you live in SC ?? You shouldn't have much trouble. The don't like cold weather for sure. They have trouble with ice getting behind the timing belt, and throwing it off. Another thing to do is to make sure it has 2 fuel filters (there is a kit to install the second filter). It doesn't take much water in the injection pump to put an end to you fun. Keep them changed !!

OP
OP
S

scfatboy

The Peugeot engine was used to get the price of the Kubota engine down, plain and simple But now that you have 1, and I take it you live in SC ?? You shouldn't have much trouble. The don't like cold weather for sure. They have trouble with ice getting behind the timing belt, and throwing it off. Another thing to do is to make sure it has 2 fuel filters (there is a kit to install the second filter). It doesn't take much water in the injection pump to put an end to you fun. Keep them changed !!
Thanks for the replies. I will talk to my local dealer about the fuel filter kit. The machine seems to be real solid. This is my first skid steer and after hearing a few very negative remarks about the Peuget engine I was concerned. By the way I do live in SC. Again, thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies. I will talk to my local dealer about the fuel filter kit. The machine seems to be real solid. This is my first skid steer and after hearing a few very negative remarks about the Peuget engine I was concerned. By the way I do live in SC. Again, thanks.
I have heard the same thing, that Peuget engines aren't any good, BUT i know someone that has the same machine, he has clocked up quite a few thousand hours on it and has had no problems. The only problem you will have is getting parts, well parts at a reasonable price that is. Keep up the servicing and i'm sure you will get many hours of trouble free use out of the machine. Just my 2c worth

bobbie-g

Sounds like you made a great purchase! I paid $8500 for a 1995 751-C with 900 hrs (factory allowance for trade-in toward a new one was $7000). The Peugeot XUD9 in mine seems to run fine. Haynes sells a Peugeot 306 automobile manual which talks about the XUD9, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of useful info so far. Mine starts OK down at about 20 deg F. Has a block heater if it really gets cold. I go through about 3 or 4 glow-plug cycles before trying to start. The only problem I've had so far is air in the fuel line at times. I can purge it manually and get it started (be glad to explain how, if anyone wants to know), but it's a pain to have to do that at times. Also, the fuel sender is messed up so the fuel gauge is inaccurate. I just did a 1000 hr maintenance cycle myself, and replaced a few hydraulic hoses. If you're really interested, it would be faster to chat on the phone about all the details (hydraulic return line filters, chain case drain/fill, hydraulic reservoir drain/fill, access to the back of the engine, thermostat/PCV replacement, etc, etc).

George Mikesell

Sounds like you made a great purchase! I paid $8500 for a 1995 751-C with 900 hrs (factory allowance for trade-in toward a new one was $7000). The Peugeot XUD9 in mine seems to run fine. Haynes sells a Peugeot 306 automobile manual which talks about the XUD9, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of useful info so far. Mine starts OK down at about 20 deg F. Has a block heater if it really gets cold. I go through about 3 or 4 glow-plug cycles before trying to start. The only problem I've had so far is air in the fuel line at times. I can purge it manually and get it started (be glad to explain how, if anyone wants to know), but it's a pain to have to do that at times. Also, the fuel sender is messed up so the fuel gauge is inaccurate. I just did a 1000 hr maintenance cycle myself, and replaced a few hydraulic hoses. If you're really interested, it would be faster to chat on the phone about all the details (hydraulic return line filters, chain case drain/fill, hydraulic reservoir drain/fill, access to the back of the engine, thermostat/PCV replacement, etc, etc).
I have a 751-c with Kubota engine. I need to know where the glow plug timer is as the duty cycle is too short (about ten seconds and goes off). I think it should be about forty five seconds. Can anyone tell where the controller is and the duty cycle. Thanks George.

bobbie-g

I have a 751-c with Kubota engine. I need to know where the glow plug timer is as the duty cycle is too short (about ten seconds and goes off). I think it should be about forty five seconds. Can anyone tell where the controller is and the duty cycle. Thanks George.
George -- My 751C has the Peugeot engine. I have not yet figured out the complete glow plug scheme. The manual/schematic does not coincide completely with what I see happening. From memory, I believe the glow plug timer/relay is located to the left of the engine as viewed while standing behind the machine. My glow plug light is on for about 5-8 seconds. But if I put a meter on the glow plug 12v power line, the plugs are powered up for about 12 seconds after the key is turned on. Sitting in the cab, I can see the voltmeter jump up slightly at the end of 12 seconds when the relay actually opens up. Having said all that, the dealer tells me the plugs get hot quickly, and going through several heat cycles in rapid succession will not make them any hotter, and will not make the engine start any better. You could pull out one of the glowplugs and connect it directly to 12v and see if it gets noticeable hotter after the first few seconds. On balance, seems to me if the rig is starting OK, the short glowplug cycle you see is probably OK. --- Bob

bobbie-g

George -- My 751C has the Peugeot engine. I have not yet figured out the complete glow plug scheme. The manual/schematic does not coincide completely with what I see happening. From memory, I believe the glow plug timer/relay is located to the left of the engine as viewed while standing behind the machine. My glow plug light is on for about 5-8 seconds. But if I put a meter on the glow plug 12v power line, the plugs are powered up for about 12 seconds after the key is turned on. Sitting in the cab, I can see the voltmeter jump up slightly at the end of 12 seconds when the relay actually opens up. Having said all that, the dealer tells me the plugs get hot quickly, and going through several heat cycles in rapid succession will not make them any hotter, and will not make the engine start any better. You could pull out one of the glowplugs and connect it directly to 12v and see if it gets noticeable hotter after the first few seconds. On balance, seems to me if the rig is starting OK, the short glowplug cycle you see is probably OK. --- Bob
George -- More glow plug info for 751C, I also posted most of this info elsewhere in this forum. Glow plugs should come to full heat in 4 seconds according to the Bosch US tech rep. Can have power applied for 3 minutes without harm. Autozone USA carries the Bosch replacement stock number 80006 for $9 each. Bobcat wants $36 each for them. --- Bob