Bobcat 742/743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcatdan

I so totally agree - mechanical machines are so elegant in their simplicity. There is not one repair on my machine that I would not be afraid to take on myself, in my own shop, with the tools that I already own. Even the engine transplant was relatively simple.
I totally agree with 7, if I was looking for a machine, 763, but I would make the jump to a G.

Tazza

Staff member
What about the hydro lines it may not have enogth gpm to run a new attachment can a 743 run a hammer I have heard they can't
As long as you match flow to the attachment you should be fine, i think the 743 did 12gpm, the newer machines do 16?
For the average home/farm user, 12gpm is enough.

7LBSSMALLIE

As long as you match flow to the attachment you should be fine, i think the 743 did 12gpm, the newer machines do 16?
For the average home/farm user, 12gpm is enough.
buying a breaker or renting? rental dude should ask what its going on. flow is important. do not want to find youreself resopinsble for 8.000 in replacement

theNEWT

buying a breaker or renting? rental dude should ask what its going on. flow is important. do not want to find youreself resopinsble for 8.000 in replacement
You guys are lucky with your prices. Here in OZ, we have to pay a lot more for a Bobcat. I paid $13K for my tired (but relatively new replaced diesel engine) 743. It came with 4in1 bucket, GP bucket, LM bucket and forks + 7 spare tyres and one rim. The upside is that we can sell a completely dead machine for the prices you are quoting for a good running machine - so I guess its all relative. It certainly has saved my back, thats fur sure. Also, I couldnt really afford the $20K plus for the newer machines, so had little choice. Its only a small property machine, not intended for heavy use.

Nevadanut

You guys are lucky with your prices. Here in OZ, we have to pay a lot more for a Bobcat. I paid $13K for my tired (but relatively new replaced diesel engine) 743. It came with 4in1 bucket, GP bucket, LM bucket and forks + 7 spare tyres and one rim. The upside is that we can sell a completely dead machine for the prices you are quoting for a good running machine - so I guess its all relative. It certainly has saved my back, thats fur sure. Also, I couldnt really afford the $20K plus for the newer machines, so had little choice. Its only a small property machine, not intended for heavy use.
Newbie here - just logged on. I recently bought a used 743 for $750.00 that was sitting in a field, not running. Had flat tire, etc. Winched it on a trailer and hauled it home to Nevada and had to get it drug into the shop with the Powerstroke. Finally got it inside and up on HD jackstands. Changed all filters, glow plugs, etc. Spent minimal $$$ on the parts and got it ready to start. Starter was fairly weak, so I decided to pop for a new one at $125.00. Installed with new battery and it fired up and we ran it for a few minutes in the shop and cycled the rams and drive motors. Dropped it on it's feet and drove it out of the shop and now starting to put a few minutes on it when I have time. It was missing bucket and front quick attach unit. I designed a quick attach unit and had the main pieces cut on a CNC plasma and assembled it. Incorporated a couple of receiver hitch-style pin quick disconnects to insert trailer hitch, boom, etc, and it is almost finished. Bought a 60" bucket from a guy for $100.00 and I'm almost ready to get the machine ready to do work here on the property. I don't have the massive coin to blow on a nice machine, and really didn't want to rent one to do all the work I'm going to do. So I took a chance - and got lucky. It seems to work ok. Total investment is around $1100.00 or so, and if it stays together, I'm content with that. I think I did ok for a guy who needs a decent machine to run around the acreage and dig holes, clear land and spread roadbase, etc.

Reds Skid Steers

I'm in the boat of the constantly fixing mode on my 742B. If I would of known what I was buying (first time buyer) I may of made another choice but, I got a little excited and bought it for around 8500 . The machine ran great the first year, and was bought with 3 attachments. Two buckets, one grapple, and I bought a custom made brush cutter for it. Anyways I am in the process of rebuilding my Mitsubishi 4G32 engine thats a 36 hp engine. It has worked for moving dirt and a lot of dirt can be moved without much problem. Digging in to the ground with it is a little iffy, but once you can get it to dig in a little bit it works pretty dang good. I have cleared land with it. I have leveled trees (soft variety ex. pines and smaller trees without any problem. I have leveled driveways and moved some pretty big boulders without much of a problem. I knew the kind of work I was doing wasn't real hard on the machine but I was pushing it at times (who of us doesn't) Lol. There are benefits and few if any, but the 742B weighs approximately 4,800 pounds, which makes it easier to haul around without mega trailers. I wouldn't want to load it up and haul it real far maybe a 100 miles max, unless somebody wants to hand me their bank account to let me drain it. Thats a joke people, relax. Anyways it's a FUN machine and it does what I need it too. It's like everything else, when ya buy something later you think hmmm... maybe I should of bought a bigger one. Hmmmm too late. I am rebuilding the Mitsubishi motor as of right now. I have had a hell of a time finding parts as it's getting obsolete. But after pulling out the few hairs I have left I have found parts and have been learning with the help of a friend how to rebuild a motor. I have spent around 2800 bucks on it. I think I have everything I need for it and just today I brought the head up to be cooked, cleaned and leveled. That is about 400 bucks. But when I'm done it will be a new machine to me. You noticed I didn't say anything about the hydraulics as of yet. So far so good. I don't want to jinx myself. I'm into it now and for the near future and I'm gonna have to love it or leave it for good if the hydraulics faulter. Just my 2 cents.