Bobcat 742/743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcat763

Which machine is better 742 or 743 the latter seems to be the best machine bobcat had ever made what are the differences between 742/743

reaperman

Who made the gas engine someone once told me it was ford and they used the safe engine in the cortina
I had a 642 until recently. The 642 and 742 have the identical Ford gas engine. In the 642 it is rated at 32hp and the 742 is rated at 34hp. I was told that the Ford engine was used in the Ford Pinto. If possible, and I have heard it is. I would look into putting electronic ignition in the 742 and do away with the points, condenser, etc. The 743 is a Kubota engine rated at 36hp. Otherwise the machine weight and tipping load are identical.

Tazza

Staff member
I had a 642 until recently. The 642 and 742 have the identical Ford gas engine. In the 642 it is rated at 32hp and the 742 is rated at 34hp. I was told that the Ford engine was used in the Ford Pinto. If possible, and I have heard it is. I would look into putting electronic ignition in the 742 and do away with the points, condenser, etc. The 743 is a Kubota engine rated at 36hp. Otherwise the machine weight and tipping load are identical.
Personally i like the 743 more as it runs a diesel. You get more hours from a tank of fuel. No points or plugs to worry about. They are harder to start in the cold though, but when warm, not an issue.

OP
OP
B

bobcat763

Personally i like the 743 more as it runs a diesel. You get more hours from a tank of fuel. No points or plugs to worry about. They are harder to start in the cold though, but when warm, not an issue.
Did the Ford Pinto have more then 38hp for a car that is nothing

craigb93

Did the Ford Pinto have more then 38hp for a car that is nothing
The 742 uses a Ford Cortina motor, not a Pinto. Pistons, bearings are the same. Timing Chain is used on the Cortina. Pinto uses a Timing Belt. Cylinder Heads & block are different. Pinto is OHCam. Cortina is a pushrod motor. -Dick

renopker

The 742 uses a Ford Cortina motor, not a Pinto. Pistons, bearings are the same. Timing Chain is used on the Cortina. Pinto uses a Timing Belt. Cylinder Heads & block are different. Pinto is OHCam. Cortina is a pushrod motor. -Dick
Wrong its a Kent motor (English), pinto 1600 cc push rod motor pinto also used a 2000 and 2300 cc ohc motor, the reason for the lower hp then the car is the rpm used in the pintos and other cars. This motor is still raced with do to its cross flow head. Also the 7-- series uses a reducer drive motor where as the 6-- series is direct to the chain.

craigb93

Wrong its a Kent motor (English), pinto 1600 cc push rod motor pinto also used a 2000 and 2300 cc ohc motor, the reason for the lower hp then the car is the rpm used in the pintos and other cars. This motor is still raced with do to its cross flow head. Also the 7-- series uses a reducer drive motor where as the 6-- series is direct to the chain.
I appreciate your correction. I have a 742 1600cc Bobcat. It's been a while since I have had it apart but I remember some parts identified as Cortina. The timing set I put in it was also identified as Cortina on the boxes even though it came from Bobcat. Have not heard of it referred to as a Kent motor though that could be correct. It is English in some way though for sure. Whatever it is it has been mostly trouble free for 25 years. I also had a Pinto but now that you mention it, it was a 2300. It was OHC

Bobcatdan

I appreciate your correction. I have a 742 1600cc Bobcat. It's been a while since I have had it apart but I remember some parts identified as Cortina. The timing set I put in it was also identified as Cortina on the boxes even though it came from Bobcat. Have not heard of it referred to as a Kent motor though that could be correct. It is English in some way though for sure. Whatever it is it has been mostly trouble free for 25 years. I also had a Pinto but now that you mention it, it was a 2300. It was OHC
742 ran ford, 742 B had mitis. 743 and 743 B ran kubota diesels. Overall, same machines, different engine. If give a choice, 743, they had enough power to do something, the gassers are more toys then anything nowaday. Unless you can pick one up dirt cheap, pass it by. They are not worth enough to to do any serious fixing. Guys should look for 753 and bigger, much nicer nad harder working machines. Now if you have owned a 40 series for 20 years and the thing don't owe you anything, they are fine, but for dear god don't buy one.

OP
OP
B

bobcat763

742 ran ford, 742 B had mitis. 743 and 743 B ran kubota diesels. Overall, same machines, different engine. If give a choice, 743, they had enough power to do something, the gassers are more toys then anything nowaday. Unless you can pick one up dirt cheap, pass it by. They are not worth enough to to do any serious fixing. Guys should look for 753 and bigger, much nicer nad harder working machines. Now if you have owned a 40 series for 20 years and the thing don't owe you anything, they are fine, but for dear god don't buy one.
Also has anyone ever seen a 743 with hand controls for the bucket I've seen one in a old bobcat brocheres in the 1990s

Bobcatdan

Also has anyone ever seen a 743 with hand controls for the bucket I've seen one in a old bobcat brocheres in the 1990s
Hand controls did exist for those, but is very rare. I have heard of one machine, but have never seen one. I'm pretty sure it worked like an old 873 I see once in a while. Cables from the hand control run down to where the pedals would be and connect to the normal linakge. Not a well engineered design. They never had AHC

renopker

So all the people with anything less then a 753 junk um they wont work for you.

SkidRoe

Don't feel bad, renopker, I have the double whammy: A junky 4XX series machine with a crappy gas motor.
How can I live with myself?!? And to think that we bought this machine new... for shame!!!
LoL,
SR

Bobcatdan

I'm not tring to knock 40 series, it is just they are simply old outdated machines that often need repairs exceeding their value. I am honestly torn on 40 series. They are tough simple, machines that have the same basic working as a new skidsteer that are good machines for home owners. That said, gassers don't have enough power to not be considered toys. The amount of attachments they can run is limited do to their low pump output. Yes you can run an auger with 11 gpm, if you have all day. And the plain simple fact they are 20 to 30 years old and just worn out. The steering is always worn beon repair. Any problem with the chaincain case or final drives are costly. The gassers always run like crap. The diesels have plenty off power, but they are normally in worst shape thena gasser. I see enough of these machines that guys pay $5000 to $7000 grand for that are rolling scrap heaps, that is if they move and all I can think to my self is this guy could have found a 773 tor $10000 if he simple looked. I see the one that come into a dealer, I can only imagine what the other ones look like.

SkidRoe

I'm not tring to knock 40 series, it is just they are simply old outdated machines that often need repairs exceeding their value. I am honestly torn on 40 series. They are tough simple, machines that have the same basic working as a new skidsteer that are good machines for home owners. That said, gassers don't have enough power to not be considered toys. The amount of attachments they can run is limited do to their low pump output. Yes you can run an auger with 11 gpm, if you have all day. And the plain simple fact they are 20 to 30 years old and just worn out. The steering is always worn beon repair. Any problem with the chaincain case or final drives are costly. The gassers always run like crap. The diesels have plenty off power, but they are normally in worst shape thena gasser. I see enough of these machines that guys pay $5000 to $7000 grand for that are rolling scrap heaps, that is if they move and all I can think to my self is this guy could have found a 773 tor $10000 if he simple looked. I see the one that come into a dealer, I can only imagine what the other ones look like.
Hey Bobcatdan,
You make some great points, and you are correct on most:
1. Bobcat did not use the best judgement when selecting/sizing their gas engines. And time has not been kind to these machines.
2. They did, however, make some better judgement calls with their diesels i.e. anything fitted with a Kubota. There are a few engine choices that leave me scratching my head, but as an understanding, fellow engineer, they must have had their reasons for their choices.
3. You obviously work for a dealer, and likely have a large number of customers who rely on their machines as their primary source of income, and therefore, need reliable, capable machines. There are a very large number of us on this site that fall into the "weekend warrior" category, who would love to own a new large diesel machine with A/C and a stereo, but could never put together a business plan that would pass approval by the Department of Domestic Affairs (aka the wife). So, machines from the trailing edge are what we make do with. (Still, I'm the only kid on my particular block with a Bobcat!! I can say that, because on the next block is my buddy with a 610 and a 722!!)
4. There are an equally large number of (sick) people on this site who consider wrenchin' on their machine, and building / modifying attactments, a form of therapy that the old 9 to 5 grind just cannot provide.
I am happy to be a member of groups 3 & 4. The wheelbarrow and the shovel spend alot more time collecting dust because of my small, underpowered, old, gas machine.
And if you want to see a video of a gas machine punchin' holes in the ground at what I consider a reasonable rate of speed, let me know your e-mail address. ;-)
Cheers Buddy,
SR

renopker

Hey Bobcatdan,
You make some great points, and you are correct on most:
1. Bobcat did not use the best judgement when selecting/sizing their gas engines. And time has not been kind to these machines.
2. They did, however, make some better judgement calls with their diesels i.e. anything fitted with a Kubota. There are a few engine choices that leave me scratching my head, but as an understanding, fellow engineer, they must have had their reasons for their choices.
3. You obviously work for a dealer, and likely have a large number of customers who rely on their machines as their primary source of income, and therefore, need reliable, capable machines. There are a very large number of us on this site that fall into the "weekend warrior" category, who would love to own a new large diesel machine with A/C and a stereo, but could never put together a business plan that would pass approval by the Department of Domestic Affairs (aka the wife). So, machines from the trailing edge are what we make do with. (Still, I'm the only kid on my particular block with a Bobcat!! I can say that, because on the next block is my buddy with a 610 and a 722!!)
4. There are an equally large number of (sick) people on this site who consider wrenchin' on their machine, and building / modifying attactments, a form of therapy that the old 9 to 5 grind just cannot provide.
I am happy to be a member of groups 3 & 4. The wheelbarrow and the shovel spend alot more time collecting dust because of my small, underpowered, old, gas machine.
And if you want to see a video of a gas machine punchin' holes in the ground at what I consider a reasonable rate of speed, let me know your e-mail address. ;-)
Cheers Buddy,
SR
I for one could have any bobcat my hart desires just like my pickup, however I like Manuel leavers with no solenoid valves no joy sticks no touch ignition. My truck rattle old Manuel 12v Cummins with no computer and no electronics to worry about. Just think how little these newer machines will be worth in 10-15 years with all the over priced parts on them now.And yes I liked having a 743 but I cant say that my 642 is inferior to it in any way. A wore out machine is a wore out machine no matter what size.

7LBSSMALLIE

I for one could have any bobcat my hart desires just like my pickup, however I like Manuel leavers with no solenoid valves no joy sticks no touch ignition. My truck rattle old Manuel 12v Cummins with no computer and no electronics to worry about. Just think how little these newer machines will be worth in 10-15 years with all the over priced parts on them now.And yes I liked having a 743 but I cant say that my 642 is inferior to it in any way. A wore out machine is a wore out machine no matter what size.
dudes rest assured that the 763f non boss was the best ever made,

SkidRoe

dudes rest assured that the 763f non boss was the best ever made,
I so totally agree - mechanical machines are so elegant in their simplicity. There is not one repair on my machine that I would not be afraid to take on myself, in my own shop, with the tools that I already own. Even the engine transplant was relatively simple.