Bobcat 741 Deutz 2 cyl Please Help!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pcasey58

Hi everyone, my 741 is running terrible knocking and blowing white smoke which I know is unburned diesel... I serviced the fuel system and still no change however I noticed that there is no "excess fuel button". I dont know where it went but there is nothing there and I really need this machine for my landscaping business. I really appreciate any help
2ahumnp.jpg

OldMachinist

Heres the link to the picture http://oi62.tinypic.com/2ahumnp.jpg
There's supposed to be a inspection plug in the open hole in your picture.
The Bobcat online parts catalog says the plug is still available.
I think the fuel rack bottoms out on it.
The whole excess fuel lever seems to be missing. It's the white piece above the inspection plug in the picture below.

img0808m.jpg

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

There's supposed to be a inspection plug in the open hole in your picture.
The Bobcat online parts catalog says the plug is still available.
I think the fuel rack bottoms out on it.
The whole excess fuel lever seems to be missing. It's the white piece above the inspection plug in the picture below.
Thank you for the reply. I never had that white bracket on my machine since I got it about a year ago. It ran great just a few days ago until i thought I ran it too low on fuel. I guess the only things I havent checked are the injectors at this point. I bled the whole fuel system up to the injectors but the knock has me concerned

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

Thank you for the reply. I never had that white bracket on my machine since I got it about a year ago. It ran great just a few days ago until i thought I ran it too low on fuel. I guess the only things I havent checked are the injectors at this point. I bled the whole fuel system up to the injectors but the knock has me concerned
Also I have the inspection plug I took it off to see if there was a rod or anything that fell in

OldMachinist

Also I have the inspection plug I took it off to see if there was a rod or anything that fell in
Found another picture and I now see what you mean that the button is gone. Is it broke off or just stuck all the way down in the hole.
 photo deutz20002_zpsm7fvfxmw.jpg

Again online parts shows it to be available.

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

Found another picture and I now see what you mean that the button is gone. Is it broke off or just stuck all the way down in the hole.

Again online parts shows it to be available.
Its completely gone. I put a flashlight up to the inspection hole and light was coming out where the button should be. My manuals dont go into any detail about that button so I dont even know what part numbers they are. Does the button push a rod or something? Also which site did you see the button on? Thanks so much for the help

OldMachinist

Its completely gone. I put a flashlight up to the inspection hole and light was coming out where the button should be. My manuals dont go into any detail about that button so I dont even know what part numbers they are. Does the button push a rod or something? Also which site did you see the button on? Thanks so much for the help
All the Bobcat parts diagrams are online here.
http://www.bobcat.com/partsandservice/genuine_parts
You have to use Internet Explorer for the site to work.
Parts will likely be only available from the dealer.

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

All the Bobcat parts diagrams are online here.
http://www.bobcat.com/partsandservice/genuine_parts
You have to use Internet Explorer for the site to work.
Parts will likely be only available from the dealer.
thank you. I got the part numbers I think I need. Also just got a deutz manual to see if I can find out anything more. Am I correct in thinking that since the button is not there the engine could be getting excessive fuel causing the white smoke and the knock? The knock is only there while the engine is running, If I cut the throttle all the way off there is no knock while the engine is cranking.

Tazza

Staff member
thank you. I got the part numbers I think I need. Also just got a deutz manual to see if I can find out anything more. Am I correct in thinking that since the button is not there the engine could be getting excessive fuel causing the white smoke and the knock? The knock is only there while the engine is running, If I cut the throttle all the way off there is no knock while the engine is cranking.
I wonder if the arm/button has fallen inside the engine, could that be the knock?
The excessive fuel button only gives the extra fuel at startup, when running it disengages, or at least, that's how it is meant to work.

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

I wonder if the arm/button has fallen inside the engine, could that be the knock?
The excessive fuel button only gives the extra fuel at startup, when running it disengages, or at least, that's how it is meant to work.
Thanks for the help everyone but I took the head off and the main bearing on that cylinder is a gonner. Gonna have bearings overnighted and hopefully have this pig working on wednesday

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help everyone but I took the head off and the main bearing on that cylinder is a gonner. Gonna have bearings overnighted and hopefully have this pig working on wednesday
That would make some noise......
Did you find the excess fuel parts? it really does make starting the engine a breeze. I had a 731 with one, it would start almost instantly no matter how cold it was.

OP
OP
P

pcasey58

That would make some noise......
Did you find the excess fuel parts? it really does make starting the engine a breeze. I had a 731 with one, it would start almost instantly no matter how cold it was.
Tazza, I found the excess fuel button with the o ring still on it but thats all I could make out. Are there many other parts to the excess fuel system?

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I found the excess fuel button with the o ring still on it but thats all I could make out. Are there many other parts to the excess fuel system?
I never opened my engine up to know, but i don't think there would be a lot of parts. The arm should touch something on the injector pump to supply more fuel at startup. When the revs go up, it goes back to normal.