bobcat 642

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drdent

I removed the gas engine from my machine to replace the crankshaft oil seals. I need to know the trick to lining up the coupler on the rear of the motor onto the spline shaft on the pump.the coupler has universal joints in it so it just flops around. mike

Tazza

Staff member
This is the fun part!
You will need a helper for this. Put the engine back in the engine bay so you still need to push it forward to align the coupling to the pump. With the cab in the air, lay down on the pump and push your arm through the inside of the blower housing (this bit is really not easy or fun). You then have to try and get hold of the shaft and lift it up and get your buddy to SLOWLY push the engine forward. You don't want to pinch your fingers between the shaft and the pump!!!!! When it starts to engage, if it doesn't line up simply rotate the engine slightly to get it to line up.
Make sure you grease your universal joints before you re-install it.
Good luck!

OP
OP
D

drdent

This is the fun part!
You will need a helper for this. Put the engine back in the engine bay so you still need to push it forward to align the coupling to the pump. With the cab in the air, lay down on the pump and push your arm through the inside of the blower housing (this bit is really not easy or fun). You then have to try and get hold of the shaft and lift it up and get your buddy to SLOWLY push the engine forward. You don't want to pinch your fingers between the shaft and the pump!!!!! When it starts to engage, if it doesn't line up simply rotate the engine slightly to get it to line up.
Make sure you grease your universal joints before you re-install it.
Good luck!
thank tazza. I will give that a shot on saturday.I didn't think my big ol hand would fit around the pump and inside the blower housing, but i will give it a shot. thanks again. mike

Tazza

Staff member
thank tazza. I will give that a shot on saturday.I didn't think my big ol hand would fit around the pump and inside the blower housing, but i will give it a shot. thanks again. mike
On my 743 my hand just fits through but you can't get a good hold of the shaft, you kind of balance it on your finger tips and prey it doesn't move!
Like i said, its not easy or fun but it is possible.

Latest posts