Bob-Tach side play

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ThomasM

Hello again, I have a 1993 bobcat 743B. I noticed yesterday that I have side play in the bob-tach mount between the two lift arms. This is where there is one bolt on each side that attaches to the arms. I would say there is about 1/4-3/8" side play. I know the dust seals on both sides are shot but im not too worried about that unless it is what takes up the side play. Any easy fix here with out cutting anything out of the unit and welding in new?/? new pins? Thanks.

TriHonu

If it is just side to side slop where the Bobtach is sliding side to side on the pins and banging into the loader arms the fix is easy. This is what was wrong with mine when I bought it. If the pins have worn the the bushings out of round in the loader arms you have a more difficult fix.
I went to the farm store and bought a handful of shim washers (different thicknesses). Loosen the bolts and give them a good whack with a hammer to drive the tapered pins back into the Bobtach. Put enough washers on the pins to take up the slack. Pull the pins back in to the loader arms and re-torque the bolts.
If the bushings in the loader arms are shot, you will find a few threads here on making that repair.

Tazza

Staff member
If it is just side to side slop where the Bobtach is sliding side to side on the pins and banging into the loader arms the fix is easy. This is what was wrong with mine when I bought it. If the pins have worn the the bushings out of round in the loader arms you have a more difficult fix.
I went to the farm store and bought a handful of shim washers (different thicknesses). Loosen the bolts and give them a good whack with a hammer to drive the tapered pins back into the Bobtach. Put enough washers on the pins to take up the slack. Pull the pins back in to the loader arms and re-torque the bolts.
If the bushings in the loader arms are shot, you will find a few threads here on making that repair.
I couldn't have put it better.
I personally machined some nylon to take up the slack, but if you don't have a lathe the washers work a treat.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

I couldn't have put it better.
I personally machined some nylon to take up the slack, but if you don't have a lathe the washers work a treat.
Sounds good guys. I will look into getting some washers. They will have to have pretty big holes in them to fit through the pins....I will maybe loook at Runnings Farm and Fleet for them. Its the only store we have like that.

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds good guys. I will look into getting some washers. They will have to have pretty big holes in them to fit through the pins....I will maybe loook at Runnings Farm and Fleet for them. Its the only store we have like that.
From memory the holes are 1 1/4" worst case you could always file the inside out if needed.

Fishfiles

From memory the holes are 1 1/4" worst case you could always file the inside out if needed.
my bobcat dealer sells the washers you need ,they are actually for another pin on some other model , a regular 1 1/4 washer has too big a outside diameter and will doesn't make a clean repair

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

my bobcat dealer sells the washers you need ,they are actually for another pin on some other model , a regular 1 1/4 washer has too big a outside diameter and will doesn't make a clean repair
So I should just put the washer between the dust cup and the arm? If I get an 1 1/4" washer I can just grind it down so it is not so visable.

Centurion

So I should just put the washer between the dust cup and the arm? If I get an 1 1/4" washer I can just grind it down so it is not so visable.
The Bobtach pin has an outside diameter of 1-1/4" I just replaced mine, I believe the outside diameter of the spacers I made was 1-3/4"

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

The Bobtach pin has an outside diameter of 1-1/4" I just replaced mine, I believe the outside diameter of the spacers I made was 1-3/4"
The OD of your washer was 1 3/4" that leaves about 1/4" of metal left going around. is this correct.

Fishfiles

The OD of your washer was 1 3/4" that leaves about 1/4" of metal left going around. is this correct.
How to make a mountain out of a mole hill : if you grind the washer it is going to change the hardness of the metal and you could possibilly not have the best end results even though it will work just fine , grinding down the washer will cost you time , grinding wheel usage and put you in harms way in more ways than one , you could grind your finger or burn it on the hot washer while turning it in the vise and there is even lots of lung clogging dust in the air to think about -----------------part# 27E10 washer from Bobcat @$2.40 each is what you need , 2 or maybe 3 at most

Centurion

How to make a mountain out of a mole hill : if you grind the washer it is going to change the hardness of the metal and you could possibilly not have the best end results even though it will work just fine , grinding down the washer will cost you time , grinding wheel usage and put you in harms way in more ways than one , you could grind your finger or burn it on the hot washer while turning it in the vise and there is even lots of lung clogging dust in the air to think about -----------------part# 27E10 washer from Bobcat @$2.40 each is what you need , 2 or maybe 3 at most
double checked the size of the spacers I made. The I.D. is 1-1/4 O.D. 2-1/4"

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

I used shims that I had from a John Deere Skidder on my 853. Perfect fit.
Got some washers from a farm store to fit in there, works great now. The one pin needed some heat to get it out but other than that it went fine. Yes, the right way would have been getting the bobcat part, but when you live in the sticks it would have cost $12 dollars to ship a 2 dollar washer from bobcat, and driving there is not an option. Thanks for the extra help!