Best small machine capable of digging

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

beefriendly

Looking to buy a small used machine (any brand) preferably under 2500-4000 lbs. As small as possible but still capable. Capable...of digging a pond, foundation, septic system, etc. I have used a small case machine, new holland, and a small bobcat and I liked them all. But those times more around the farm general use, not digging.. I don't mind taking more time to do the job just as long as it is possible. I would plan to put a good toothed bucket on it and probably counterweight. Looking for the lightest possible machine for towing/trailering purposes up a steep and windy dirt road. Thoughts on what small machine/s are most capable and the minimum operating weight to consider. thanks!

reaperman

Wow. your asking for a lot from a little machine! To dig a pond you need a excavator or drag line, no exceptions. A foundation of any depth over a few feet you need a dozer or excavator. A smaller machine would simply have too hard of a time digging in hard dirt. You may get away digging trench (septic) system with a mini excavator or a bobcat/backhoe attachment. There is nothing easy about digging dirt. Thats why heavy equipment is called "heavy equipment". There are too many surprises in excavating not to be well equipped. Sorry

[email protected]

Wow. your asking for a lot from a little machine! To dig a pond you need a excavator or drag line, no exceptions. A foundation of any depth over a few feet you need a dozer or excavator. A smaller machine would simply have too hard of a time digging in hard dirt. You may get away digging trench (septic) system with a mini excavator or a bobcat/backhoe attachment. There is nothing easy about digging dirt. Thats why heavy equipment is called "heavy equipment". There are too many surprises in excavating not to be well equipped. Sorry
s185 is kinda the best of all worlds....still relatively small and narrow but will lift a lot and has good reach. for occasional excavation a backhoe attachment is great, but don't expect it to do things it can't do. digging a pond would be hard with a bobcat though haha.

Latest posts