awfully loud grinding sound on start-up

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Barleyboy

I have an Ls150 NH and since I bought it it's always had a slight grinding coming from under me when I start. Today it got really loud. after it starts the sound mostly goes away. is it possibly something to do with the chaincase? It also has a crazy pull to the right that got worse after I did some driving on my bumpy logging road. thats just getting it up on blocks and equalizing right? there is also blue and black smoke on start up. goes away after 15 seconds. is that normal for deisel skid-steers? really want to get to the bottom before I put a bunch of hours on it this spring. any help appreciated. thanks a mill!

mrbb

is your starter maybe sticking? and thus grinding after things get running?
there should be no noise coming out of chain cases when machine is stopped/not moving as there isn't anything in there turning when its not moving!
I would suggest having someone sit in machine and start it, while you have the boom up and side panels off, and listen better for where exactly the noise is coning from
in my opinion most older diesel motors have a little smoke at start up that tens to clear up after running a bit!
I would still suggest keeping tabs on oil level and coolant level
when were fuel filter/s changed last!??

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

@mrbb thank you for the reply! I don't know when the fuel filters were last changed. I'm planning on doing it soon but that shouldn't have anything to do with the grinding sound. feels like it comes from underneath me... the starter would be near the battery right? and if it was the starter that is grinding that may mean a new starter if the gears are chewed up? not very familiar with working on skid loaders, so sorry if some of these questions are basic :) I was also wondering how one would go about checking the chain case fluids and tension to have peace of mind knowing it's good. really I should probably do an all fluid/filter change to start on a new page as I don't know what the last owner did and when he did it. 2400 hours.

mrbb

NO fuel filters won't have anything to do with grinding noise, but could maybe have some effect on smoke at start up, pending type of filter and well, condition of fuel in tank and system!

as for location of starter, I don't own your model machine, so cannot say where exact location is on your model, you should be able to find it rather easy with a simple look or following battery cables! to it!
are you hearing this grinding noise when machine is idling parked, or ONLY when machine is being driven forward/backwards? as this is a needed to know info here for more help on it!

I would highly likely suggest you maybe get yourself a service manual for your machine and have a look at it, , be it in a online downloadable form, or, what I prefer is a actual paper copy,
you an some times find them on sale on basic sites that sell things(ebay/amazon, and likes) or doing online searches for them it will show you how to do everything and that includes all the basic PM's that should be getting done on a daily/monthly/yearly basis! it will also have part numbers for things and all the information on filters(numbers) fluids amounts and types, , time frame on when to replace or change them and so on!
So having a service manual can make your life a LOT easier and resolve many questions, and overall a great item to own on any machine you have! you can try making NEW a post here asking for a link or file for a service manual, on your model/yrs!
as many here seem to have them or know where to get them, and can maybe help you get one! so thats worth doing IMO!

the location of your chain case(if my memory is correct on your model), its located between the two wheels, on each side of machine, its like a compartment of sorts with a side panel that is both bolted on and sealed with some sealant, and the chain then rides in an oil bath between the drive sprockets , fluid in side should be drained and replaced according to the service manual, or as needed!
you MIGHT find some youtube videos showing location and how to do many PM's if you look

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

the smoke may be because I drained the water from the filter? it's possible thats what caused it.
I just bought and printed off a repair manual and I'll be going through that. definitely a good resource. Thank you!

Latest posts