Attachment plate started?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr Jimi

I worked on first attachment plate this weekend and it was real easy except the bottom holes? I have a Case 1845C and its different than Bobcats. I want to make these to fit all skid steers, My pins are 30 inches on center and Ken tells me Bobcats are 33 1/4 on center?
My openings, looking down are 3/4 of an inch and the angle is? I have no idea, I couldn't find my angle finder, GRR. My pins are round with an angled flat spot on them like a taper. I think I will be fine if I make them like the other attachments I have?
Jim

sterlclan

yep the pins hold front to back on the plate a little wider shouldnt hurt anything I hang the plate and trace the angle on the side stiffiners no problem Jeff

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

I figured the Angle's, Top is 45 degrees and bottom is 30 degrees and I made this simple jig for the next times to make it simpler. And wood is 3/4 inch thick for hole opening.
DSC00021.JPG

Jim

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Well here is my thrown together boom with the heaviest thing I could find? Anyone guess what these Case factory 42 inch forks weigh? I built this to pick up 200 pounds or less and it does much better than that, Boom is 9'8" long 3 inch pipe,1/4"wall.

DSC00014.JPG

Tazza

Staff member
Well here is my thrown together boom with the heaviest thing I could find? Anyone guess what these Case factory 42 inch forks weigh? I built this to pick up 200 pounds or less and it does much better than that, Boom is 9'8" long 3 inch pipe,1/4"wall.
Whats the boom made out of? it looks like just plain 'ol water pipe.
At a guess, i would say it would weigh at least 200 KG, each fork has to be at least 50-80KG. PLUS the attach plate and the carrier.

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Whats the boom made out of? it looks like just plain 'ol water pipe.
At a guess, i would say it would weigh at least 200 KG, each fork has to be at least 50-80KG. PLUS the attach plate and the carrier.
Tazza, Its a water pipe and not as strong as I thought? I got a little frisky and I lifted the back of my Chevy S-10 truck and it did NOT go up? It tried and I have a modified boom now. I had to cut it off and turn it around. LOL
Bent%20Boom%20Side%20view.JPG

as you can tell, its strong
Bent%20Boom.JPG

here is new design.
Cut%20and%20re-welded%20again%20GRR.JPG

I should have stayed with the 200 pound limit, LOL

Eric

Tazza, Its a water pipe and not as strong as I thought? I got a little frisky and I lifted the back of my Chevy S-10 truck and it did NOT go up? It tried and I have a modified boom now. I had to cut it off and turn it around. LOL

as you can tell, its strong

here is new design.

I should have stayed with the 200 pound limit, LOL
Im glad to see that you tested it to its breaking point before using it in a severe application like that. Can you imagine if it had failed when you where lifting a heavy joist or steel beam with someone under it aligning it to be set. Is that schedule 40 pipe? You may want to step it up to schedule 80.

Eric

Im glad to see that you tested it to its breaking point before using it in a severe application like that. Can you imagine if it had failed when you where lifting a heavy joist or steel beam with someone under it aligning it to be set. Is that schedule 40 pipe? You may want to step it up to schedule 80.
Also, dont forget about dynamic loading. This is why cranes sometimes fail with a load within its capabilities. Slack in the spool releases and the load drops when it takes up the slack. When this happens, the load on the crane is dramaticly increased and it sometimes will tip the crane over. Another example is, I can pick up and hold a 150 pound piece of steel in my arms, but if someone dropped it in my arms from just 12 or 18 inches Im pretty sure I cant catch it. I guess you can also apply this to the tipping load of a skidsteer. You could be well within its lift capacity but if you jerk the controls it will tip.
My point is this, if you are near your attachments lift capacity and hit a bump in the road or accidently jerk the controls you will create a dynamic load on your boom.
When you where picking up your S-10, did it fail when you picked it up or did dynamic loading take affect.

Eric

Also, dont forget about dynamic loading. This is why cranes sometimes fail with a load within its capabilities. Slack in the spool releases and the load drops when it takes up the slack. When this happens, the load on the crane is dramaticly increased and it sometimes will tip the crane over. Another example is, I can pick up and hold a 150 pound piece of steel in my arms, but if someone dropped it in my arms from just 12 or 18 inches Im pretty sure I cant catch it. I guess you can also apply this to the tipping load of a skidsteer. You could be well within its lift capacity but if you jerk the controls it will tip.
My point is this, if you are near your attachments lift capacity and hit a bump in the road or accidently jerk the controls you will create a dynamic load on your boom.
When you where picking up your S-10, did it fail when you picked it up or did dynamic loading take affect.
One more thing to think about. Now that the pipe has been bent. It is now weakened at the bend. If you are going continue using that pipe, I would weld in a brace to support that angle.
Just my 3 cents.

skidsteer.ca

One more thing to think about. Now that the pipe has been bent. It is now weakened at the bend. If you are going continue using that pipe, I would weld in a brace to support that angle.
Just my 3 cents.
Jim
We have made a lifting boom simular to this for use on the skidder blades.
But instead of making the pole lift the whole load, we stuck it a little more horizontal, (say coming out from the bottom of your QA plate, up and out at say 70 degrees instead of 90) and then run two 5/16" chains, one from each top corner of the QA plate, out to near the end of the boom. This takes alot of the sideways force off the pipe, with the chains there you have more of a endways compression force on the pipe, making it much stronger.
Ken

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Eric, it failed when I got stupid and tried to pick a real heavy load, did I mention the boom was extended horizontally? LOL 10 feet out in front, I asked for it LOL
I ordered a quick hitch from harbor freight and it came in today. I will weld/bolt this on to a flat backing plate and I will be able to use 3 point attachments on the front, This thing is easy to use. The part # is 93691 and its on sale for $69 now and I used some discounts from another site and I got $5 off and a free attaché case ( $49 ) value. total was $73 and some change.

Eric

Eric, it failed when I got stupid and tried to pick a real heavy load, did I mention the boom was extended horizontally? LOL 10 feet out in front, I asked for it LOL
I ordered a quick hitch from harbor freight and it came in today. I will weld/bolt this on to a flat backing plate and I will be able to use 3 point attachments on the front, This thing is easy to use. The part # is 93691 and its on sale for $69 now and I used some discounts from another site and I got $5 off and a free attaché case ( $49 ) value. total was $73 and some change.
This was sent to me from Brad F.
Bobtach.bmp

500K_773

This was sent to me from Brad F.
Eric,
It's hard to see those measurements. Could you post them up in text or maybe make a better scan of the picture. Thanks. I have a new plasma cutter and need projects. :)

Eric

Eric,
It's hard to see those measurements. Could you post them up in text or maybe make a better scan of the picture. Thanks. I have a new plasma cutter and need projects. :)
This was sent to me in an email. Thats all I have. Sorry. I just posted it on here.

Latest posts