ASV W/ Perkins 60HP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RIT

I am slowly working through the bugs on a recent purchase. I have found a small amount of oil that is coming from left side of the unit. I found that the oil was coming from an open tube that is attached to the crankcase ventilation tube on the top of the valve cover. When the unit is cold, there is a steady stream of air coming from the tube. When the unit is warmed up and at idle, there is a steady stream of light blue smoke coming from the tube. When the unit is warm and is at operating RPM, there is quite a bit of light blue smoke and a few drops of oil coming from the tube. This unit is new to me (70 hrs on meter) but this smoke and oil concerns me. It looks like the smoke and excess crankcase pressure should be sucked up and recycled. There is a connection from the valve cover to the turbo that looks like it would pull the excess into the turbo and recycle it. Hmmmmm What is going on here? Thanks... RIT

Jeffscarstrucks

I wish I was actually answering your question but as i am sure you know Cat and ASV shared most everything for a while (ASV with a CAT sticker). You might try the Cat section of this forum for some other folks with Perkins knowledge. My old ASV is too old to be of any help...Good Luck, JEFF

OP
OP
R

RIT

I wish I was actually answering your question but as i am sure you know Cat and ASV shared most everything for a while (ASV with a CAT sticker). You might try the Cat section of this forum for some other folks with Perkins knowledge. My old ASV is too old to be of any help...Good Luck, JEFF
Thanks for the heads up. I have taken a look at the CAT section and still have not found a solution. I took a look at the turbo setup on this machine and my first impression about the turbo recycling this light colored smoke was wrong. I wanted to thing that a machine that has only 70 or so hours on it would not be experiencing this somewhat excessive amount of blowby. I rerouted the blowby tube into a large mouth gatorade bottle to see just how much oil I could be losing. It looks like I am blowing about 1 teaspoon per an hour or so of use. Surely this is an excessive amount. I am praying that this is a result of the rings not being seated yet. Mabye I am just pipe dreaming. Just out of curiosity... How much does your 400 series Perkins diesel use and how much is too much? Thanks... RIT

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the heads up. I have taken a look at the CAT section and still have not found a solution. I took a look at the turbo setup on this machine and my first impression about the turbo recycling this light colored smoke was wrong. I wanted to thing that a machine that has only 70 or so hours on it would not be experiencing this somewhat excessive amount of blowby. I rerouted the blowby tube into a large mouth gatorade bottle to see just how much oil I could be losing. It looks like I am blowing about 1 teaspoon per an hour or so of use. Surely this is an excessive amount. I am praying that this is a result of the rings not being seated yet. Mabye I am just pipe dreaming. Just out of curiosity... How much does your 400 series Perkins diesel use and how much is too much? Thanks... RIT
Maybe it just needs more breaking time for the rings to seat up. Avoid idleing time and try to keep the engine under load. Skidsteer work is a bad aplication for breakin as the run periods are often short.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Maybe it just needs more breaking time for the rings to seat up. Avoid idleing time and try to keep the engine under load. Skidsteer work is a bad aplication for breakin as the run periods are often short.
Ken
After 70 hours, i'd suspect if the rings were going to seat, they would have done so.... My V1702 didn't seat correctly, its done about 200 hours, and it still have blow-by, a lot more than it should with such low hours. I need to give it a hone and a new set of rings.

OP
OP
R

RIT

After 70 hours, i'd suspect if the rings were going to seat, they would have done so.... My V1702 didn't seat correctly, its done about 200 hours, and it still have blow-by, a lot more than it should with such low hours. I need to give it a hone and a new set of rings.
I finally took my machine in for service and it looks like the head gasket was blown. Its kind of hard to believe that could happen with such low hours. I guess that just my hard luck though.

skidsteer.ca

I finally took my machine in for service and it looks like the head gasket was blown. Its kind of hard to believe that could happen with such low hours. I guess that just my hard luck though.
But it should bethe pistons and rings that affect blowby. Not sure how the head gasket has anything to do with it?
Ken

Digdeep

But it should bethe pistons and rings that affect blowby. Not sure how the head gasket has anything to do with it?
Ken
CAT, ASV, NEW Holland and Case all used the same turboed 2.2L engine that had head gasket problems until late 2007. Case and NH used a Shibura and the Perkins/CAT egnine is the same Shibura design. I have a RC50 and I found out while researching the engine. I didn't have the problem because it didn't affect the non-turboed 2.2L engines. Make sure the ASV dealer gives you the updated head gasket or you'll have the same problem again.