Addiction or what.... 843 to a 773

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Yenko

Already traded my 90- 843 in on an 01- 773 vertical lift Turbo. What a difference I cant believe how smooth it is and how fast it is. Drove by the local dealer and seen it sitting their begging me to come demo it. Stopping was my mistake. After running the 843 for the last month it seems like a dinosaur compared to this unit . A couple of questions for you 773 owners. I have a new set of 12- 16.5 tires and wheels, will they bog this machine down? What makes a machine a G series and the G stands for?

753g

the G series part of the name is just the time period it was built in i want to say late 99-03 i think. As far as the tires and wheels go; one of the machines i run in the summer is a 98' F series 773 naturally aspirated and we usually run 14.5-16.5 tires on that with out any problems so far. With the turbo on yours you should have now problems powering the machine with those tires. Just be sure to check the clearance to the between the tires and the bottom boom, also be sure to let the machine idle at the slowest setting for a few minutes before you turn it off so you don't starve the turbo bearings for oil when you shut it off.

OP
OP
Y

Yenko

the G series part of the name is just the time period it was built in i want to say late 99-03 i think. As far as the tires and wheels go; one of the machines i run in the summer is a 98' F series 773 naturally aspirated and we usually run 14.5-16.5 tires on that with out any problems so far. With the turbo on yours you should have now problems powering the machine with those tires. Just be sure to check the clearance to the between the tires and the bottom boom, also be sure to let the machine idle at the slowest setting for a few minutes before you turn it off so you don't starve the turbo bearings for oil when you shut it off.
Thanks for the heads up on the turbo, I usually as aruel let all my equipment idle down a bit to cool off then shut them down. I had not gave it any thought on the turbo. Looks like I need to do some more reading on this machine. I can tell it is overkill for what I need and do already. Have you ever gave it any thought with a turbo machine being towed backwards the air through the exhaust pipe at highway speeds turning the turbo backwards? I will also bolt the tires on and see if they will clear I just figured the weight wouldn't be good, However the 10's are filled with a black foam puncture proof that make the weigh a bit. Also the ride height of the machine and if the bucket would sit level? The sales man just made a big deal about it being a G and I didn't think to ask Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on the turbo, I usually as aruel let all my equipment idle down a bit to cool off then shut them down. I had not gave it any thought on the turbo. Looks like I need to do some more reading on this machine. I can tell it is overkill for what I need and do already. Have you ever gave it any thought with a turbo machine being towed backwards the air through the exhaust pipe at highway speeds turning the turbo backwards? I will also bolt the tires on and see if they will clear I just figured the weight wouldn't be good, However the 10's are filled with a black foam puncture proof that make the weigh a bit. Also the ride height of the machine and if the bucket would sit level? The sales man just made a big deal about it being a G and I didn't think to ask Thanks.
The turbo won't spin backwards when towed, the air will not flow through the exhaust as the vavles will be closed. You should let it idle for 5 minutes after use to let the turbo cool down.

sterlclan

The turbo won't spin backwards when towed, the air will not flow through the exhaust as the vavles will be closed. You should let it idle for 5 minutes after use to let the turbo cool down.
when towing any turbo machine at least the big ones 320 cat 330 cat or the d6 or d4 I always tape the pipe up as the turbo could spin some just my 2 cents worth Jeff

skidsteer.ca

Thanks guys for your input.
Stuff a old piece of foam in the pipe, or let it idle. The turbo can spin when towing because some of the valves in the engine are almost always open and air get siphoned through the engine. Of course the turbo gets no oil to lub it when the engine is not running and spins on dry bearing. When you do finally start the engine, the turbo spins up to a high rpm and disintegrates when the bearing fail. Seen this on a 740 jd skidder, ran great when loaded, when we went to unloaded off the float it would bare run and smoked black, black. When we pulled the air filter we found many pieces of the the turbine way back in the air filter. It wound up to 60 000 rpm the first time touched the throttle and exploded. $1500 lesson. Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Stuff a old piece of foam in the pipe, or let it idle. The turbo can spin when towing because some of the valves in the engine are almost always open and air get siphoned through the engine. Of course the turbo gets no oil to lub it when the engine is not running and spins on dry bearing. When you do finally start the engine, the turbo spins up to a high rpm and disintegrates when the bearing fail. Seen this on a 740 jd skidder, ran great when loaded, when we went to unloaded off the float it would bare run and smoked black, black. When we pulled the air filter we found many pieces of the the turbine way back in the air filter. It wound up to 60 000 rpm the first time touched the throttle and exploded. $1500 lesson. Ken
I never would have fingured that, as far as i knew both exhaust and inlet valves were never both open at the same time in any cilinder to allow air to flow and if there indeed was any movement it would be only very slight. Turbos take quite a bit of exhaust to spool to those high speeds, no where near what you would get from valve leakage.
I'll stick with N/A machines, no need to worry about expensive turbos.

siduramaxde

I never would have fingured that, as far as i knew both exhaust and inlet valves were never both open at the same time in any cilinder to allow air to flow and if there indeed was any movement it would be only very slight. Turbos take quite a bit of exhaust to spool to those high speeds, no where near what you would get from valve leakage.
I'll stick with N/A machines, no need to worry about expensive turbos.
I'm not too sure about spinning the turbo while trailering. Bobcat clearly states in the manual that the machine should be loaded on a trailer backwards and says nothing about plugging the exhaust.

skidsteer.ca

I'm not too sure about spinning the turbo while trailering. Bobcat clearly states in the manual that the machine should be loaded on a trailer backwards and says nothing about plugging the exhaust.
Its not that the turbo spins fast whille trailering, it is that it spins with no lubrication from the engine oil. When the engine is started if the bearings where run dry it is vary hard on the turbo when it spools up. Turbos can run 60000 to 80000 rpm, there is not much room for poor bearings. I not saying one trip (or maybe you get away with it for a long time) will destroy your turbo, but I know first hand that it is possible. This applies to anything with a turbo. I don't think i matters which way it facing on the trailer. Ken

753g

Its not that the turbo spins fast whille trailering, it is that it spins with no lubrication from the engine oil. When the engine is started if the bearings where run dry it is vary hard on the turbo when it spools up. Turbos can run 60000 to 80000 rpm, there is not much room for poor bearings. I not saying one trip (or maybe you get away with it for a long time) will destroy your turbo, but I know first hand that it is possible. This applies to anything with a turbo. I don't think i matters which way it facing on the trailer. Ken
Yenko I think you sould solve all these concernes of yours by removing the pcm, turbo and all required parts to work with it and ship them to my place, I rarely tow my machine so the turbo will have a good life on my 753. lol If you're woried about wind in the exhaust when towing, go to a farm and fleet type store and get the little rain flapper for the exhaust tip like they have on heavy duty ag tractors.

OP
OP
Y

Yenko

Yenko I think you sould solve all these concernes of yours by removing the pcm, turbo and all required parts to work with it and ship them to my place, I rarely tow my machine so the turbo will have a good life on my 753. lol If you're woried about wind in the exhaust when towing, go to a farm and fleet type store and get the little rain flapper for the exhaust tip like they have on heavy duty ag tractors.
The whole turbo issue has been very interesting. I thing your on to something 753g I think I will look into that. If nothing else it will make people think what did he do that for.

Tigerotor77W

The whole turbo issue has been very interesting. I thing your on to something 753g I think I will look into that. If nothing else it will make people think what did he do that for.
I'm way late, as usual, but wanted to clarify the G-series: the G-series was introduced on the 773 in 1999; it featured more lift capacity (a result of a new boom arm design), and perhaps most importantly, a new cab. The G-series has continued until late 2005, when it was replaced by the K-series. Do note that in about 2003, as someone mentioned, the 773 and 773T (Turbo) were superceded by the S175 (773) and S185 (773T).

Latest posts