A hello and quick into.. and a question..

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gremlin

Hi to all, Mike here in AU. Brilliant to find these forums, as I am a total newbie to skid-steers.. Bought myself a BHB Dirt-Devil, designed and mauf in Perth westen australia specifically for the australian telecom company. Its bigger (in size) than most skids I have seen and built with the idiot operator in mind, EG hard to break through operator error. This is a good thing for a new guy like me :). I bought this thing as I am getting on in years (50+) and had a lot of work to do around the property. Was finding hard to get contractors to turn up eith on time or at a reasonable price, so said bugger it and bought my own.. Now i love the thing :) I have a problem with it I hope someone can shine some light on, it was running great, but decided to split a line in the oil cooler. As a motor mechanic of 30+ years It didnt faze me, off with the back cover, out with the rad and out with the cooler, lots of cleaning and soldering later, split was repaired and everything re assembled. BUT During the disassembly I put some rag into the ends of both hoses to the cooler to keep any foriegn dirt and contaminants out, I removed these before reassembly, however I must have used 2 picece in the hose from the cooler to the pump, because on firing up the unit, it blew the rag from the back of the cooler all the way to the pump unit through the hose.. The skid wouldnt move , so i rececked everything and found the rag, which I removed. This is where my problem comes in, since this episode, the skid only moves at approx half speed, slow walking pace, all else works fine, the 4-1 bucket and backhoe attachment is fine just moving from a to b, is very slow. What little specs I can find on this unit is, main pump is a Voith IPH4 pump and transmission pump(s) are Vickers TA1919-R-2DR pumps. As i said I have zero experiance with Skidsteers till I bought this a year ago, and although, stripping pumps and engines both pertol or diesel does no faze me, I do belive it wise to ask those who know far more than I, both for an opinion and also what I possibly should look for. So .. I sit here, open to ridicule for my mistake of the waywood rag, but asking for opinions and information anyway :).. Cheers.. Mike.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm from Brisbane, welcome to the site.
How long have you run the machine since going in to fish out the rag? air in the system will make the drive sluggish. Is it noisy? is there power? does it scream?
Its possible there is some rag stuck in the relief that controls charge pressure. So many things it *could* be.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

I'm from Brisbane, welcome to the site.
How long have you run the machine since going in to fish out the rag? air in the system will make the drive sluggish. Is it noisy? is there power? does it scream?
Its possible there is some rag stuck in the relief that controls charge pressure. So many things it *could* be.
I have been running it for over a year now since the rag incident, as its used mainly in the back yard its not been too much of an issue, but now I have to collect dirt fromt the top of the land and bring down the back its annoying. It makes no weird noises, its mostly happy doing what it does, its just slow. My biggest problem is lack of knowledge, I just dont know how these things work, once i have that info, then I will be set.. the unit came with a very brief handbook, typewritten, with specs and a god-awfull wiring and hydro diagram that looks like a kid drew it with crayons.. Now I can build engines 4,6,8 cyl, manual gearboxes diffs and all assortment of mechanical stuff, because I know how it works.. I am reading a lot of info on these forums and everyday get a better mechanical picture of whats under the seat and what it does... Love this place!!. Already rebuilt the rams and resealed them, turned new pins on the lathe to replace a few that were worn/sloppy, just need to learn more.. I have this thirst for knowledge of mechanical things LOL... you think after being a mech most of my life I would have learnt my lesson by now.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

I have been running it for over a year now since the rag incident, as its used mainly in the back yard its not been too much of an issue, but now I have to collect dirt fromt the top of the land and bring down the back its annoying. It makes no weird noises, its mostly happy doing what it does, its just slow. My biggest problem is lack of knowledge, I just dont know how these things work, once i have that info, then I will be set.. the unit came with a very brief handbook, typewritten, with specs and a god-awfull wiring and hydro diagram that looks like a kid drew it with crayons.. Now I can build engines 4,6,8 cyl, manual gearboxes diffs and all assortment of mechanical stuff, because I know how it works.. I am reading a lot of info on these forums and everyday get a better mechanical picture of whats under the seat and what it does... Love this place!!. Already rebuilt the rams and resealed them, turned new pins on the lathe to replace a few that were worn/sloppy, just need to learn more.. I have this thirst for knowledge of mechanical things LOL... you think after being a mech most of my life I would have learnt my lesson by now.
Hmm I did format that post when I wrote it..

Jyuma

Hmm I did format that post when I wrote it..
Go into your profile on this forum and select "Use HTML editor". I think it's the last option on the page.
After you select HTML, the format you see when you compose your post will be the format you see (and everybody else) when you/they read the post.

Tazza

Staff member
Go into your profile on this forum and select "Use HTML editor". I think it's the last option on the page.
After you select HTML, the format you see when you compose your post will be the format you see (and everybody else) when you/they read the post.
The slow speed could also be a bad seal in your drive motors, wear in the pump or motors. The pump is pretty easy to rebuild, you can possibly even flatten the wear plates with glass and wet and dry sand paper. I have done this before and it works very well.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

The slow speed could also be a bad seal in your drive motors, wear in the pump or motors. The pump is pretty easy to rebuild, you can possibly even flatten the wear plates with glass and wet and dry sand paper. I have done this before and it works very well.
I normally would concurr with that diagnosis, however , from going strang to going slow was an immediate decline after the "lets swallow a rag" incident.
This brings me to belive either i have a piece still in there partially blocking a hole, or some fibres trapped in a valve /release mech somewhere.
The next question, and probably a dumb one is, are these pumps home serviceable, by that i mean, are the a "sealed" unit as in injector pumps (you CAN pull them apart, but normally dont work again) or are these the kind of thing you can strip/acid clean/surface/reassemble with a reasonable degree of sucess.
Then there is the primal question, are the pressure relief system external to the pump(s) or internal.
when I have time I will strip the seat and flooring out and take a pic or two of what I am playing with. As it is a other brand machine, most of you may not be familier with it, but once seeing a pic say , thats just a old xxxx with a xxx common variety running gear.

Tazza

Staff member
I normally would concurr with that diagnosis, however , from going strang to going slow was an immediate decline after the "lets swallow a rag" incident.
This brings me to belive either i have a piece still in there partially blocking a hole, or some fibres trapped in a valve /release mech somewhere.
The next question, and probably a dumb one is, are these pumps home serviceable, by that i mean, are the a "sealed" unit as in injector pumps (you CAN pull them apart, but normally dont work again) or are these the kind of thing you can strip/acid clean/surface/reassemble with a reasonable degree of sucess.
Then there is the primal question, are the pressure relief system external to the pump(s) or internal.
when I have time I will strip the seat and flooring out and take a pic or two of what I am playing with. As it is a other brand machine, most of you may not be familier with it, but once seeing a pic say , thats just a old xxxx with a xxx common variety running gear.
You mentioned it ran a TA1919 pump, these are pretty simple to pull down and put back together. Just make sure you keep the sides together. The pump segment at the front must stay there, same with the back.
No need to acid bath it, just pull it down and use petrol and compressed air. The petrol will dry without residue, kero won't dry out properly. The relief valves are screwed into the middle segment of the pump, they are all accessable from the outside, not always when its still in the machine though. There may be plugs on the underside of the pump.
Don't be afraid to work on it, i have pulled them apart and got them back together and they actually worked again. Even one i got in bits.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

You mentioned it ran a TA1919 pump, these are pretty simple to pull down and put back together. Just make sure you keep the sides together. The pump segment at the front must stay there, same with the back.
No need to acid bath it, just pull it down and use petrol and compressed air. The petrol will dry without residue, kero won't dry out properly. The relief valves are screwed into the middle segment of the pump, they are all accessable from the outside, not always when its still in the machine though. There may be plugs on the underside of the pump.
Don't be afraid to work on it, i have pulled them apart and got them back together and they actually worked again. Even one i got in bits.
Tazza thats the kinda thing I wanted to hear, that common sence and general mechanical kills was all that is required....
I only mentioned acid bathing as I actually have them, I rebuild carburettors for a living and decarb baths are a nessesity. All good. All I need now is to clean the disaster area of my shed bench and steal a clean sheet from the missus... hmmm maybe not the last bit.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

Tazza thats the kinda thing I wanted to hear, that common sence and general mechanical kills was all that is required....
I only mentioned acid bathing as I actually have them, I rebuild carburettors for a living and decarb baths are a nessesity. All good. All I need now is to clean the disaster area of my shed bench and steal a clean sheet from the missus... hmmm maybe not the last bit.
Found the spec sheet for Fritz.. this is what it says he runs on:-
Trans Pumps is a Vickers TA1919-R-2DR
Relief Capsules 344Bar
Main pump Voith IPH4 set at 240Bar
and Drive motors are SAI MU.300-F-D47's
Thats basically it apart from the fact it runs 150 Hydraulic tank which costs a fortune to fill @ $88 per 20litres ..

Tazza

Staff member
Found the spec sheet for Fritz.. this is what it says he runs on:-
Trans Pumps is a Vickers TA1919-R-2DR
Relief Capsules 344Bar
Main pump Voith IPH4 set at 240Bar
and Drive motors are SAI MU.300-F-D47's
Thats basically it apart from the fact it runs 150 Hydraulic tank which costs a fortune to fill @ $88 per 20litres ..
Nice gear to have.
I don't know the drive motors or hydraulic pump, but they should be pretty straight forward too.
You could probably use standard engine oil like most other machines do. I got mine from autobarn when it was on sale, it was 8-12 bucks for a 5 litre bottle. I ended up with over 250 litres of the stuff! I had multiple machines that needed attention. The chain case uses 30-40 litres alone!
Just be stealthy about the sheet, what she doesn't know won't hurt you :)

Jyuma

Nice gear to have.
I don't know the drive motors or hydraulic pump, but they should be pretty straight forward too.
You could probably use standard engine oil like most other machines do. I got mine from autobarn when it was on sale, it was 8-12 bucks for a 5 litre bottle. I ended up with over 250 litres of the stuff! I had multiple machines that needed attention. The chain case uses 30-40 litres alone!
Just be stealthy about the sheet, what she doesn't know won't hurt you :)
"Just be stealthy about the sheet, what she doesn't know won't hurt you
Smiley
"
Yeah... but if she's like my missus... there's nothing she doesn't know. Ouch!
bTw... I bought three 5 qt container of 10W30 from AutoBarn last week... $22 each. So I went to Costco... $3.75 per qt. $4 bucks less for the same 5 qts.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

"Just be stealthy about the sheet, what she doesn't know won't hurt you"
bTw... I bought three 5 qt container of 10W30 from AutoBarn last week... $22 each. So I went to Costco... $3.75 per qt. $4 bucks less for the same 5 qts.
Okaaaaaayyy, So my belief that these toys run exclusively on 68 grade Hydraulic Oil (castrol hyspin AWS68) is incorrect? Good old 10w30 engine oil is sufficient??
Wish I had known that before I spent $528 bucks on 6 20L drums from Lewis Hoses & seals.!!!
Wont be fixing the ta1919 for a few week ,got heaps of work on at the moment so will shelve it till work eases up a bit..gives me time to find a exploded diagram of the pump to study.

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

"Just be stealthy about the sheet, what she doesn't know won't hurt you"
Procured the sheet!!! Twaz eezy, I just accidently washed it with some new colour items while trying to help out!!, voila!!! 1 clean ikky pink sheet for me!!... AND i am told NOT to help with washing... WIN WIN as I see it..

Tazza

Staff member
Procured the sheet!!! Twaz eezy, I just accidently washed it with some new colour items while trying to help out!!, voila!!! 1 clean ikky pink sheet for me!!... AND i am told NOT to help with washing... WIN WIN as I see it..
hehehe nice work, and stealthy too :)

OP
OP
G

Gremlin

Hi Mike. I too have a BHB Dirt-Devil. I was wondering if you still have it? Regards Carl
Hi, indeed I do still have Fritz, I still use him from time to time to move heavy stuff around the yard, and push the JJ richards industrial bin onto the road when the truck arrives.
I havent as yet had the nerve to pull the pump off and check it out to see why its still running slow.
Real life kinda got in the way and i have been needed elsewhere to do things, not the least was being given a Tinnie for fathers day last year, so now I have to go fishing when the weathers fine, so the family knows i appreciate thier gift.... (thats my excuse and I am sticking to it LOL).
But yes I still got him, i went to use the backhoe attachment last xmas, but have 2 hoses that have perished and split under working pressure, damn it.
His days are numbered though, all i have left to do here is re-work the front driveway and recoat with roadbase/crusher dust. Then i will be looking to find him a good home.

Elecmen

Hi, indeed I do still have Fritz, I still use him from time to time to move heavy stuff around the yard, and push the JJ richards industrial bin onto the road when the truck arrives.
I havent as yet had the nerve to pull the pump off and check it out to see why its still running slow.
Real life kinda got in the way and i have been needed elsewhere to do things, not the least was being given a Tinnie for fathers day last year, so now I have to go fishing when the weathers fine, so the family knows i appreciate thier gift.... (thats my excuse and I am sticking to it LOL).
But yes I still got him, i went to use the backhoe attachment last xmas, but have 2 hoses that have perished and split under working pressure, damn it.
His days are numbered though, all i have left to do here is re-work the front driveway and recoat with roadbase/crusher dust. Then i will be looking to find him a good home.
Hi, we had one of these that used to run well, then it started getting real lazy after it ran for a while and warmed up. You couldn't even get it back on the trailer. So my dad rebuilt the hydraulic pump and rewired all of the electrics. This improved it but still not perfect. Then my brother thought why not have two, so he has one that has lost power or drive to the right side wheels. Any help would be great. Thanks, Phil

Tazza

Staff member
Hi, we had one of these that used to run well, then it started getting real lazy after it ran for a while and warmed up. You couldn't even get it back on the trailer. So my dad rebuilt the hydraulic pump and rewired all of the electrics. This improved it but still not perfect. Then my brother thought why not have two, so he has one that has lost power or drive to the right side wheels. Any help would be great. Thanks, Phil
I'd crack the pump poen again to check for marks on the wear plates.
Even check the drive motors for wear.
The other thing could be the relief valves, if the seat is worn it will lower the power.
I assume the issue is forward and reverse? Both sides? checked charge pressure?