98 773 hour meter display inop

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Team Craig

I just purchased this machine not long ago and the hour meter display is no longer displaying the hours. The machine has 2030 hours on it. I was wondering if the hyd. press. sw. that needs replaced would make the hours not display or if there is a seperate issue? If the main display would need to be replaced to fix it I would rather just install a seperate hour meter as I am sure it would be far cheaper to fix this way. If the install of another hour meter would be the easy answer what wire would I tap into for the meter to register the hours? Thanks for any help guys.

sterlclan

any wire with 12 volts when the machine is running will run an hour meter I used the wire that fed my warning lamps to get mine to work just check that there is no power when the key is off Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
any wire with 12 volts when the machine is running will run an hour meter I used the wire that fed my warning lamps to get mine to work just check that there is no power when the key is off Jeff
All i did was to grab power from my volt, fuel and temperature meters (all wired in parellel). When the key is off, the meters are off.

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

All i did was to grab power from my volt, fuel and temperature meters (all wired in parellel). When the key is off, the meters are off.
So is it a common problem on the Bobcats for the hours to quit showing? Could there be something that is an easy fix to the existing one?

skidsteer.ca

So is it a common problem on the Bobcats for the hours to quit showing? Could there be something that is an easy fix to the existing one?
Does your machine have the "Boss bar graph" style gauges our is it a G series? (think it has to be 99 and up for G
98 and down without the boss just had 2" round guages and a rectangular hour meter. Think if you seach the Boss word you will find an old post that may be helpful. Somethings on them ain't to bad to fix and others are spendy.
Let us know Ken

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

Does your machine have the "Boss bar graph" style gauges our is it a G series? (think it has to be 99 and up for G
98 and down without the boss just had 2" round guages and a rectangular hour meter. Think if you seach the Boss word you will find an old post that may be helpful. Somethings on them ain't to bad to fix and others are spendy.
Let us know Ken
Yes it does have the Boss system - I tried to search the boss word and did not have a lot of luck finding any actual issues with the system or hour meter in the system. So can I get certain parts for the boss system to fix the hour meter? Hey I am now getting an alarm from the boss system for the hyd. press. I am going to replace the press. switch. After I replace it do I need to bleed air out of the system at the switch? I hope the switch will take care of the problem. Thanks for the input guys...

sterlclan

Yes it does have the Boss system - I tried to search the boss word and did not have a lot of luck finding any actual issues with the system or hour meter in the system. So can I get certain parts for the boss system to fix the hour meter? Hey I am now getting an alarm from the boss system for the hyd. press. I am going to replace the press. switch. After I replace it do I need to bleed air out of the system at the switch? I hope the switch will take care of the problem. Thanks for the input guys...
It should bleed itself with use run the rams up and down a few times and the air should go away Jeff

skidsteer.ca

It should bleed itself with use run the rams up and down a few times and the air should go away Jeff
Was it throwing up a code saying the hyd sendor was bad?
When you say it has 2030 hours is this visable on the meter but just no longer counting forward? It's not just dim and hard to read, because that is just a lite bulb in the display.
These have a rpm sensor (about 3" long,, 3/4" fine threads, with 2 wires coming out the end of it) threaded into the side of the bell housing (on tailgate side) that "counts" the teeth on the ring gear to monitor engine rpm, I'm not sure if it uses this and a combination of engine oil pressure to tell the hour meter when to record more time.
If you unhook the rpm sensor and conect you multimeter to it, you should get a AC current voltage when the engine is running, if its working.
Most of the other sensors in the system can be bypassed by connecting the 2 sensor wires to each other. I doubt the hyd sensor you are replaceing has anything to do with the hour meter.
Check all your ground wires under the cab and around the boss box, also at the engine. Loosen, clean them and retighten. Also check the ground strap from the cab to the chassis. (near the hinge again)
Also there is a spdt relay (used to be near the hinge to roll the cab back, but on the underside on my 93 753 boss, they may have grouped it with the fuses by 98,) it was what the boss used to shut the engine off in event of a shutdown code. Looks like a 1 inch square plastic cube, black with 5 blade terminals on it and it just plugs into the harness. These go bad around 2000 hours and cause the engine not to start sporadically, Cranks but won't start. Its a $10 part at napa, etc
Let us know how you make out.
Ken

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

Was it throwing up a code saying the hyd sendor was bad?
When you say it has 2030 hours is this visable on the meter but just no longer counting forward? It's not just dim and hard to read, because that is just a lite bulb in the display.
These have a rpm sensor (about 3" long,, 3/4" fine threads, with 2 wires coming out the end of it) threaded into the side of the bell housing (on tailgate side) that "counts" the teeth on the ring gear to monitor engine rpm, I'm not sure if it uses this and a combination of engine oil pressure to tell the hour meter when to record more time.
If you unhook the rpm sensor and conect you multimeter to it, you should get a AC current voltage when the engine is running, if its working.
Most of the other sensors in the system can be bypassed by connecting the 2 sensor wires to each other. I doubt the hyd sensor you are replaceing has anything to do with the hour meter.
Check all your ground wires under the cab and around the boss box, also at the engine. Loosen, clean them and retighten. Also check the ground strap from the cab to the chassis. (near the hinge again)
Also there is a spdt relay (used to be near the hinge to roll the cab back, but on the underside on my 93 753 boss, they may have grouped it with the fuses by 98,) it was what the boss used to shut the engine off in event of a shutdown code. Looks like a 1 inch square plastic cube, black with 5 blade terminals on it and it just plugs into the harness. These go bad around 2000 hours and cause the engine not to start sporadically, Cranks but won't start. Its a $10 part at napa, etc
Let us know how you make out.
Ken
Well guys after getting the wrong part and then the correct hyd. press. sensor the hour meter is now working again. It is great to have you guys and the knowledge you have provided. I am an old car & motorcyle mech. so it's good to chat with some people with some skid steer knowledge. One thing I have leared about working on this thing so far is how slimey a disel eng. is. Speaking of dirty do any of you guys power wash the engine area and under the cab off? I was told by the prev. owner he had just lost a line and about 10 gallons of hyd. fluid. I cannot find any active leaks but would like to clean this thing up some. Thanks Skidsteer.ca for the info - I was wondering what that sensor on the back of the engine was.

Tazza

Staff member
Well guys after getting the wrong part and then the correct hyd. press. sensor the hour meter is now working again. It is great to have you guys and the knowledge you have provided. I am an old car & motorcyle mech. so it's good to chat with some people with some skid steer knowledge. One thing I have leared about working on this thing so far is how slimey a disel eng. is. Speaking of dirty do any of you guys power wash the engine area and under the cab off? I was told by the prev. owner he had just lost a line and about 10 gallons of hyd. fluid. I cannot find any active leaks but would like to clean this thing up some. Thanks Skidsteer.ca for the info - I was wondering what that sensor on the back of the engine was.
I use a high pressure washer to clean mine out.
I usually attack it with degreaser first, even old diesel will work. Once it has had time to work, get into it with the pressure washer.
The only time it will be hard going is when there is alot of muck built up, i had a machine that was so grubby i filled a 20 litre drum with the grease/dirt that i had to scrape out!. Thats what i got with the scraper plus i got more with the pressure washer.
Just try and avoid washing the alternator, you don't want water in your bearings. A small spash will be fine, just don't get rite into it with the water.

Eric

I use a high pressure washer to clean mine out.
I usually attack it with degreaser first, even old diesel will work. Once it has had time to work, get into it with the pressure washer.
The only time it will be hard going is when there is alot of muck built up, i had a machine that was so grubby i filled a 20 litre drum with the grease/dirt that i had to scrape out!. Thats what i got with the scraper plus i got more with the pressure washer.
Just try and avoid washing the alternator, you don't want water in your bearings. A small spash will be fine, just don't get rite into it with the water.
A high pressure steam cleaner works best. Melts grease, oil, and diesel like butter. Those cost about $1,500 to $4,000 new. OUCH!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial
NorthStar Electric Wet Steam & Hot Water Pressure Washer — 2750 PSI, 2.5 GPM, 230 Volt | Buy now for just $1999.99!

skidsteer.ca

A high pressure steam cleaner works best. Melts grease, oil, and diesel like butter. Those cost about $1,500 to $4,000 new. OUCH!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=washer&Nty=1&D=washer&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial
I pressure wash under the seat a couple times a year. There are drain holes in the bottom next to the chain case. Also check the plug on the front of the chain case for oil level and for water contamination. It is common for the cover on the top of the chaincase to have a gasket leaking, usually oil loss is minimal but water gets in and turn the 10/30 oil milky. especially when you wash it. You may have to scoop out handfuls of gunk if its really bad.
Also under the machine back by the engine is a cover with 3 bolts that covers the drain plug for the chain case and the drain holes for the fuel tank area.
If you remove it and the 2 covers in front of the foot pedals you can dung it out a little better.
Also it not uncommon for the rear cover to get knocked loose by stumps and rock that you straddle and it a good ideal to check the security of it from time to time
BTW which hyd sensor did you replace, the one on the hyd filter?
Regards
ken

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

I pressure wash under the seat a couple times a year. There are drain holes in the bottom next to the chain case. Also check the plug on the front of the chain case for oil level and for water contamination. It is common for the cover on the top of the chaincase to have a gasket leaking, usually oil loss is minimal but water gets in and turn the 10/30 oil milky. especially when you wash it. You may have to scoop out handfuls of gunk if its really bad.
Also under the machine back by the engine is a cover with 3 bolts that covers the drain plug for the chain case and the drain holes for the fuel tank area.
If you remove it and the 2 covers in front of the foot pedals you can dung it out a little better.
Also it not uncommon for the rear cover to get knocked loose by stumps and rock that you straddle and it a good ideal to check the security of it from time to time
Regards
ken
Again I must thank you guys for your input. Your guys are great, I am starting to learn this thing a little. These little tidbits of info you guys have informed me of is the stuff I like to hear...

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

Regards
ken
Sorry Skidsteer.ca I did not see your ? until after I just replied. To answer your ? it was the press. sensor at the top rt. of the engine compartment. It is located by the hyd. filter. I assume there is more than one? Where is the other sensor/sensors located?

skidsteer.ca

Sorry Skidsteer.ca I did not see your ? until after I just replied. To answer your ? it was the press. sensor at the top rt. of the engine compartment. It is located by the hyd. filter. I assume there is more than one? Where is the other sensor/sensors located?
Some machine have one on each side of the hydraulic filter, the second one may be a temperature sendor, I'd have to check my manual. The other pressure sensor is on the engine oil pressure, lite/ guage, which is the one I'd have bet on contolling your hour meter operation, but I guess I was wrong, so thanks for giving something back... it all helps keep us running cheaply.
Ken