873 Sheared Flywheel Bolts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Clodhopper

My 873 had been making a bit of a racket lately, which iI was having a hard time isolating. Then this afternoon it stopped running suddenly. The flywheel had detached from the crankshaft. How do I get it moved to a good spot to work on it (probably about 400 feet)? The manual says not to tow it more than 25 feet, and I've never needed to tow it or any skid steer before. Also, I am assuming I am going to need to pull the motor to get the sheared off bolts out (all but 1 or 2 by the looks of it). I'm not a great mechanic but I do usually work on my own equipment, and usually figure it out eventually. I do have a service manual for this machine, but are there any things that I may need to look out for when pulling the motor, or is there good way to get those bolts out without removing the engine. Thanks for any advice, Pete

Tazza

Staff member
As the park brake will be on, no reason why you can't drag it all the way, they generally say 25 feet when the wheels can roll i believe. Ideally get it on a trailer but if you need to drag it allo that way, it may help to wet the ground to help it slide easier and do less damage to the wheels.

OP
OP
C

Clodhopper

As the park brake will be on, no reason why you can't drag it all the way, they generally say 25 feet when the wheels can roll i believe. Ideally get it on a trailer but if you need to drag it allo that way, it may help to wet the ground to help it slide easier and do less damage to the wheels.
The parking brake, as well as all the other safety features were bypassed or missing when I bought the machine, so it does roll. I ended up towing it up to my shop after the guy who answered the phone in the service department of my local bobcat dealership told me it was no problem to do that. Hopefully that didn't cause any damage. I have most of the stuff stripped off of it needs to come off to pull the engine. I see the service manual has plans for some kind of engine lifting bracket that is kind if involved. Do I really need to weld up one of those or can I just bolt a piece of angle iron on there ad pick it up by lifting from that? Again, thanks for help.

flyerdan

The parking brake, as well as all the other safety features were bypassed or missing when I bought the machine, so it does roll. I ended up towing it up to my shop after the guy who answered the phone in the service department of my local bobcat dealership told me it was no problem to do that. Hopefully that didn't cause any damage. I have most of the stuff stripped off of it needs to come off to pull the engine. I see the service manual has plans for some kind of engine lifting bracket that is kind if involved. Do I really need to weld up one of those or can I just bolt a piece of angle iron on there ad pick it up by lifting from that? Again, thanks for help.
The bracket is to provide a dogleg because the top structure of the framework prevents a lifting chain from falling directly to the point needed to lift squarely.