873 question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Siteworx

I am looking to buy a 2000 873 G. The machine has 2600 hrs, new tires and a new bucket. It is not beat or bent up. The guy is asking $12000 for it. Is this a good deal? I am going Friday to run it and possibly bring it home. What all should I look for when inspecting the machine. Thanks Mike

Bobcatdan

I'd say it's a good price if in good shape. Look the arms over closely as they can crack. Not a bad idea to bring a jack to check wheel bearing play. If it's low on hydraulic fluid, flip the cab and look for signs of leaks. If it hasn't been done yet, if you buy it have the timing belt changed NOW!. Otherwise if it starts good, runs good and all functions work good, it should be good. If you noticed any issues in this regard, then the final repair bill added to the purchase prices may not be a deal.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

I'd say it's a good price if in good shape. Look the arms over closely as they can crack. Not a bad idea to bring a jack to check wheel bearing play. If it's low on hydraulic fluid, flip the cab and look for signs of leaks. If it hasn't been done yet, if you buy it have the timing belt changed NOW!. Otherwise if it starts good, runs good and all functions work good, it should be good. If you noticed any issues in this regard, then the final repair bill added to the purchase prices may not be a deal.
Well I went and tested the machine out. It was tight and smooth. It ran like a champ. So I got the machine with new tires and wheels. A new bucket and also a new root grapple. Bought it home and changed the filters, fluids, and timing belt. My mechanic told me I got a heck of a good machine. Welcome home 2000 873G series

1ofU

Well I went and tested the machine out. It was tight and smooth. It ran like a champ. So I got the machine with new tires and wheels. A new bucket and also a new root grapple. Bought it home and changed the filters, fluids, and timing belt. My mechanic told me I got a heck of a good machine. Welcome home 2000 873G series
i have a 97 873 , it's a beast of a machine , look at the oil dip stick you should have 3 plastic ribs on it i guess that what you call them , make sure done of them are broke off , i took a air grinder and removed mine as i had a tiny chip of the end of one of mine , ive read it can clog up the oil pump .

1 of U

lesgawlik

i have a 97 873 , it's a beast of a machine , look at the oil dip stick you should have 3 plastic ribs on it i guess that what you call them , make sure done of them are broke off , i took a air grinder and removed mine as i had a tiny chip of the end of one of mine , ive read it can clog up the oil pump .

1 of U
Good advice on the dipstick plastic ribs. Mine broke off and lodged in the oil pressure relief valve, giving me low oil pressure. I was getting ready to pay for an engine rebuild until the shop found this.

mmsllc

Good advice on the dipstick plastic ribs. Mine broke off and lodged in the oil pressure relief valve, giving me low oil pressure. I was getting ready to pay for an engine rebuild until the shop found this.
$12,000 for a good 873 is a GIFT!! I normally see them sell for around $16,000. I hope it is working good for you.