873 axle seal leaking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

flyerdan

That should have the removable hub which makes it much easier. If there is a large cap screw in the middle of the axle hub it's cake.
Jack it up and block good, remove the tire and the center bolt holding the hub on. Remove the hub with a puller and remove the bad seal, generally with a slide hammer.
Clean an inspect the area where the seal rides to see if it needs a speedi sleeve, install that if necessary, drive in the new seal and replace hub.
There is an 873 manual in the manual thread that explains all this with diagrams and pictures, it is a 1995 book but I'd imagine that part hasn't changed.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

That should have the removable hub which makes it much easier. If there is a large cap screw in the middle of the axle hub it's cake.
Jack it up and block good, remove the tire and the center bolt holding the hub on. Remove the hub with a puller and remove the bad seal, generally with a slide hammer.
Clean an inspect the area where the seal rides to see if it needs a speedi sleeve, install that if necessary, drive in the new seal and replace hub.
There is an 873 manual in the manual thread that explains all this with diagrams and pictures, it is a 1995 book but I'd imagine that part hasn't changed.
Thank you. This is the second one on that axle in 4 years. So should I do the speedy sleeve? If so how hard is that to do and where can I get one? Thanks again guys

flyerdan

Thank you. This is the second one on that axle in 4 years. So should I do the speedy sleeve? If so how hard is that to do and where can I get one? Thanks again guys
If that is the second seal, something is eating them, probably a score in the axle shaft. When you get the old seal out you'll be able to see (and feel) if there is anything causing them to fail. Often some dirt mixes with a bit of oil and makes a grinding compound that eats a groove where the seal rides which allows for seepage. Or there could be a small nick that cuts at the seal.
Clean the shaft area well, if there is a nick it will grab at the rag or you'll feel it with a fingertip. If there is a nick or high spot it will need to be dressed down with a needle file or tiny stone on a Dremel tool so the sleeve will seat properly. Prep shaft with acetone or alky.
The SKF Speedi-Sleeve site has a lot of info on them, they should be available at any quality bearing house that would have the seal you need.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

If that is the second seal, something is eating them, probably a score in the axle shaft. When you get the old seal out you'll be able to see (and feel) if there is anything causing them to fail. Often some dirt mixes with a bit of oil and makes a grinding compound that eats a groove where the seal rides which allows for seepage. Or there could be a small nick that cuts at the seal.
Clean the shaft area well, if there is a nick it will grab at the rag or you'll feel it with a fingertip. If there is a nick or high spot it will need to be dressed down with a needle file or tiny stone on a Dremel tool so the sleeve will seat properly. Prep shaft with acetone or alky.
The SKF Speedi-Sleeve site has a lot of info on them, they should be available at any quality bearing house that would have the seal you need.
Thank you for your replies and help. I will get the parts this week and probably tear into it. I am going to look for some information on the speedy sleeve and probably go that route. My only other question is could it be a bearing issue causing the seal to fail?

flyerdan

Thank you for your replies and help. I will get the parts this week and probably tear into it. I am going to look for some information on the speedy sleeve and probably go that route. My only other question is could it be a bearing issue causing the seal to fail?
A bad bearing can contribute to seal failure, get the tire in the air and check it for in and out and top to bottom play like you would a trailer axle. You get more leverage with the tire still on.
If there is a bearing issue, check the other corners as well, since tearing into that is a much bigger job and it's better to replace any questionable ones at that time.
This site doesn't show links very well, there is a link to SKF in my post, as well as the manual thread in my sig.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

A bad bearing can contribute to seal failure, get the tire in the air and check it for in and out and top to bottom play like you would a trailer axle. You get more leverage with the tire still on.
If there is a bearing issue, check the other corners as well, since tearing into that is a much bigger job and it's better to replace any questionable ones at that time.
This site doesn't show links very well, there is a link to SKF in my post, as well as the manual thread in my sig.
Finally got the seal fixed. It was a bear getting the hub off. But, here is what I noticed. There was already a speedy sleeve in the axle. I rubbed it and could not feel anything that would make me think it would cause a leak. So after I cleaned everything, I installed the new seal and put back together. My question is should I have replaced the speedy sleeve too? If so how do you guys get those things off?

flyerdan

Finally got the seal fixed. It was a bear getting the hub off. But, here is what I noticed. There was already a speedy sleeve in the axle. I rubbed it and could not feel anything that would make me think it would cause a leak. So after I cleaned everything, I installed the new seal and put back together. My question is should I have replaced the speedy sleeve too? If so how do you guys get those things off?
The sleeves are somewhat fragile, but incredibly tough when installed, if you couldn't find any burrs or depressions that would damage the seal, it could have wound up some sawgrass or masonry string at some time that would chew it up. Kind of like how fishing line eats up a prop shaft seal on an outboard motor.
What did the old seal look like, and did you fill the area between the lips with grease? Chances are it will be fine; you should have noticed any looseness when positioning it.
I've never taken a sleeve off; I would imagine that you'd use a propane torch to dissolve the loctite and then a small screwdriver to just brute force it off, might have to tear it down the side and peel it off. Cleaning all the loctite residue would probably be the most time consuming aspect of it.

OP
OP
S

Siteworx

The sleeves are somewhat fragile, but incredibly tough when installed, if you couldn't find any burrs or depressions that would damage the seal, it could have wound up some sawgrass or masonry string at some time that would chew it up. Kind of like how fishing line eats up a prop shaft seal on an outboard motor.
What did the old seal look like, and did you fill the area between the lips with grease? Chances are it will be fine; you should have noticed any looseness when positioning it.
I've never taken a sleeve off; I would imagine that you'd use a propane torch to dissolve the loctite and then a small screwdriver to just brute force it off, might have to tear it down the side and peel it off. Cleaning all the loctite residue would probably be the most time consuming aspect of it.
The seal really didn't look that bad. I was kind of surprised when I got the hub off and it looked so good. Is there any concern about heating it with the bearing right there? I guess it had a rough life before me since it had a speedy sleeve on it. I know this is the 3rd seal since I've owned it. My mechanic normally does this but he recently had surgery and isn't back on his feet yet. Next, on my list is an oil leak. Not sure where it is coming from. I just see it in the pan under the engine. I have to add a quart about every 6 to 8 weeks. I guess that isn't that bad since it is used almost every day. Does the duetz have common oil leaks?

flyerdan

The seal really didn't look that bad. I was kind of surprised when I got the hub off and it looked so good. Is there any concern about heating it with the bearing right there? I guess it had a rough life before me since it had a speedy sleeve on it. I know this is the 3rd seal since I've owned it. My mechanic normally does this but he recently had surgery and isn't back on his feet yet. Next, on my list is an oil leak. Not sure where it is coming from. I just see it in the pan under the engine. I have to add a quart about every 6 to 8 weeks. I guess that isn't that bad since it is used almost every day. Does the duetz have common oil leaks?
Since it's had so many seals and a sleeve, I'd wonder if perhaps the oil is coming from a gouge in the pocket that the seal sits in; ie. it's seeping around the metal ring rather than the actual seal. It just seems unlikely that so many seals would leak with no visible signs of damage.
Using a hand held torch localized on the sleeve won't radiate enough heat to affect the bearings, it's not like you're turning the whole thing red with a rosebud.
As for the engine leak, I'm not familiar with the Deutz, but Harbor Freight has an engine cleaning gun that works great, and is on closeout for under $5, which is an incredible bargain. You can grab a gallon of degreaser there as well, or use whatever you normally use, park over some big cardboard sheets and give it a washdown. Then when you start it up you should be able to see where the leaks are coming from, it might be as simple as a valve cover that needs snugged up.