864T Crank No Start, Solenoid & Timing Checked Good! Help!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kb1ltg

Gents, I have a 864T that may or may not have run out of fuel, we have made certain there is fuel at each injector all the way back to the return. Yesterday I checked operation of the fuel shut-off solenoid and removed the timing belt cover, using long dowel pins confirmed that engine is in proper time. I have tried atomizing diesel fuel into the breather when turning the engine over, that failing to work we even gave a couple of spritzes of ether. Still , it will not run or even begin to! A diesel mechanic friend says that he has seen bad injectors or injector cause a no start condition. Any Deutz 1011 experts out there who can point a aggravated bobcat lawn ornament owner in the right direction? Much appreciated, a case of your favorite brew to the genius who can help me figure this one out! Jerry

OP
OP
K

Kb1ltg

Upon researching further I am going to check Turbo and Fuel control rod for damage. From what I understand the fuel control rod controls all of the cam driven injectors, if damaged this can cause a "No Start" condition. Thank you all, any suggestions not mentioned welcomed.

Tazza

Staff member
Upon researching further I am going to check Turbo and Fuel control rod for damage. From what I understand the fuel control rod controls all of the cam driven injectors, if damaged this can cause a "No Start" condition. Thank you all, any suggestions not mentioned welcomed.
No signs of life, even with ether leads me to suspect the timing belt. If something is off, you won't get the compression needed for combustion.
Can you remove the rocker cover and check the push rods? If the belt skipped, your push rods will have bent.

TractorShaft

No signs of life, even with ether leads me to suspect the timing belt. If something is off, you won't get the compression needed for combustion.
Can you remove the rocker cover and check the push rods? If the belt skipped, your push rods will have bent.
Hey Tazza, It looks like he confirmed timing is good, would injectors or bad turbo cause a "Crank no start" condition? Says he saw fuel at each injector , lead me to believe that fuel rail and injector pumps are working alright, there is not much left, compression test and see that injectors are not leaking an pop at correct PSI ? Thoughts? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Tazza, It looks like he confirmed timing is good, would injectors or bad turbo cause a "Crank no start" condition? Says he saw fuel at each injector , lead me to believe that fuel rail and injector pumps are working alright, there is not much left, compression test and see that injectors are not leaking an pop at correct PSI ? Thoughts? Thanks!
A bad turbo wouldn't stop starting, it would give a lack of power, but as you noted, low pressure to the injectors could be an issue. If they don't reack the cracking pressure, no fuel will be inejcted into the cylinders.
A good test is to pull an injector and connect it to a fuel lins outside of the engine and crank, see if they spray.
If ether is not giving any signs of life, i suspect a compression issue, be it from timing off or bad valves, but for all 8 to go bad at once, seems a bit far fetched for me. Even with one cylinder down, it still should show some signs of life.

TractorShaft

A bad turbo wouldn't stop starting, it would give a lack of power, but as you noted, low pressure to the injectors could be an issue. If they don't reack the cracking pressure, no fuel will be inejcted into the cylinders.
A good test is to pull an injector and connect it to a fuel lins outside of the engine and crank, see if they spray.
If ether is not giving any signs of life, i suspect a compression issue, be it from timing off or bad valves, but for all 8 to go bad at once, seems a bit far fetched for me. Even with one cylinder down, it still should show some signs of life.
Hi Tazza, Thanks so much for the time to reply! I found a great article on the Foley Diesel engine website on the electronic fuel shut off solenoid (Controls all 4 cam actuated injector pumps) that should allow fuel to be pumped when removed. There is also a 10MM socket next to cylinder #2 (2nd back from flywheel) that allows you to peer in and with a flat tipped screwdriver manually actuate the spring loaded "rail" or metal control apparatus. This should have about .5 in. movement and spring back with authority when manually moved. These can easily get bent & twisted and can be the culprit of a crank no start condition. Also leaking injectors can overfill a cylinder with fuel and will not allow a firing condition even with ether. Troubleshooting continues...Thank you very much!

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Tazza, Thanks so much for the time to reply! I found a great article on the Foley Diesel engine website on the electronic fuel shut off solenoid (Controls all 4 cam actuated injector pumps) that should allow fuel to be pumped when removed. There is also a 10MM socket next to cylinder #2 (2nd back from flywheel) that allows you to peer in and with a flat tipped screwdriver manually actuate the spring loaded "rail" or metal control apparatus. This should have about .5 in. movement and spring back with authority when manually moved. These can easily get bent & twisted and can be the culprit of a crank no start condition. Also leaking injectors can overfill a cylinder with fuel and will not allow a firing condition even with ether. Troubleshooting continues...Thank you very much!
That is some good info, and great planning from the engine manufacturer to assist with troubleshooting.
Hopefully that will help him find ouf if that could be the cause f the problem, as it did start when it ran out of fuel.