863 - Video - Smokes/Runs Poor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
K

KAG

I too have thought about doing side work, but yeah, insurance etc.... Plus the fact my machine is a little older, i don't need it breaking down where i can't get it out.
I did about a weeks worth of work at my cousins place when he was lifting his house, that is the extent of outside work i have done.
I keep track of the hours as I write in black sharpie inside the back engine door oil/filter/ fuel filter changes by hours on the machine when done. I bought the machine right before a huge ice storm and had the lucky forethought to also buy a grapple bucket. It made money then for sure and also after a large tornado hit. I know I have had lots of people over the years want to borrow the machine.....uuuuh No. I told them I would make them a great rate for smaller low-risk jobs. Most pass .... When it broke down I had a neighbor call asking to borrow it and I said it was broke down but if he helped me fix it I would let him borrow it. He said he would get back to me....and he has never asked to borrow anything since. :)

Tazza

Staff member
I keep track of the hours as I write in black sharpie inside the back engine door oil/filter/ fuel filter changes by hours on the machine when done. I bought the machine right before a huge ice storm and had the lucky forethought to also buy a grapple bucket. It made money then for sure and also after a large tornado hit. I know I have had lots of people over the years want to borrow the machine.....uuuuh No. I told them I would make them a great rate for smaller low-risk jobs. Most pass .... When it broke down I had a neighbor call asking to borrow it and I said it was broke down but if he helped me fix it I would let him borrow it. He said he would get back to me....and he has never asked to borrow anything since. :)
Nice, he expected to borrow it, but not to help you get it going after a break down? friendly...
I write hours and dates every oil and filter change on the filters so i know when they are due to be done again.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Nice, he expected to borrow it, but not to help you get it going after a break down? friendly...
I write hours and dates every oil and filter change on the filters so i know when they are due to be done again.
Had to fork out another $1400 for several blown hoses and actuator from local bobcat dealer. It seemed like every time I called to check on the status it was something else, I started 'Calling the Part" on everything and now it's done. Its headed home on Monday, not saying the parts weren't bad but just saying now I want to see the bad parts.

Tazza

Staff member
Had to fork out another $1400 for several blown hoses and actuator from local bobcat dealer. It seemed like every time I called to check on the status it was something else, I started 'Calling the Part" on everything and now it's done. Its headed home on Monday, not saying the parts weren't bad but just saying now I want to see the bad parts.
If you paid for the replacements, you are entitled to get the old ones back, it's only fair.
I know i'd like to see the bad parts, just to keep them honest.

Stonehands

Pallet forks are a must! I use them mostly for loading and unloading stuff for my dad.
I'd like to know just how may hours i have done in the machines i have owned, sadly i never took notice of the hour meters when i bought and sold them :( but each hour in the seat saved me days worth of back breaking work.
So many attachments available, but then you need to have the use for them too.
Hello Tazza and group. I have an 863F series turbo. Love it. Had a broken fuel pick up tube this spring and the part was $12.00 USD and the labor was $300.00. I couldn't get it done but the Bobcat tech had it fixed in a couple of hours. Terrible design to get at the fuel tank pick up. As for attachments, I agree with pallet forks and use my a lot, but even more so a great Grapple. Very heavy duty but worth every penny for brush clean up, horse stalls and tree removal. Of course bucket. A couple of years ago I found a mint backhoe attachment. A Bobcat model and the larges one for my unit. Had to replace the pivot bushing and pin as my bucket had too much slop to roll back enough to engage the locks but that think is a beast. I will send pics.

Tazza

Staff member
Hello Tazza and group. I have an 863F series turbo. Love it. Had a broken fuel pick up tube this spring and the part was $12.00 USD and the labor was $300.00. I couldn't get it done but the Bobcat tech had it fixed in a couple of hours. Terrible design to get at the fuel tank pick up. As for attachments, I agree with pallet forks and use my a lot, but even more so a great Grapple. Very heavy duty but worth every penny for brush clean up, horse stalls and tree removal. Of course bucket. A couple of years ago I found a mint backhoe attachment. A Bobcat model and the larges one for my unit. Had to replace the pivot bushing and pin as my bucket had too much slop to roll back enough to engage the locks but that think is a beast. I will send pics.
It's sad when the parts cost so little, yet the cost to install them is so high. The location is hard to get to, and sadly, is a common failure point.

OP
OP
K

KAG

It's sad when the parts cost so little, yet the cost to install them is so high. The location is hard to get to, and sadly, is a common failure point.
Just a little update: I had to call Whitestar Machinery of Manhattan, KS out to my property as it was blowing thick black smoke under load and lacked power. They came out and after I showed them exactly what was going on they said one of the exhaust valves rocker had backed off and was not closing completely. They said they would come back to fix it as they needed some specific tools. The came back again after I called them as they missed the appt date to fix it (at their cost). Now It runs much better but they said it would continue to blow some black smoke for 5-10hrs until the soot in the exhaust was cleared out as it was so thick. I cleaned the machine up with a pressure my pressure washer and then used Easy off oven cleaner to strip it and washed again, then paint. Ordered new decals off eBay so I can get it listed for sale sometime this fall. 4hrs of run time: And now I have another Hydraulic oil leak like the one I originally had that leaves a small line of oil out the bottom of the machine when I run it. I am going to have to load it back up and take it over there to have it fixed. I am sure it will be some added expense.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Just a little update: I had to call Whitestar Machinery of Manhattan, KS out to my property as it was blowing thick black smoke under load and lacked power. They came out and after I showed them exactly what was going on they said one of the exhaust valves rocker had backed off and was not closing completely. They said they would come back to fix it as they needed some specific tools. The came back again after I called them as they missed the appt date to fix it (at their cost). Now It runs much better but they said it would continue to blow some black smoke for 5-10hrs until the soot in the exhaust was cleared out as it was so thick. I cleaned the machine up with a pressure my pressure washer and then used Easy off oven cleaner to strip it and washed again, then paint. Ordered new decals off eBay so I can get it listed for sale sometime this fall. 4hrs of run time: And now I have another Hydraulic oil leak like the one I originally had that leaves a small line of oil out the bottom of the machine when I run it. I am going to have to load it back up and take it over there to have it fixed. I am sure it will be some added expense.
Just can't make this up Was running today do some light work, moving limestone rock around. Ran it about 2hrs and it started to have poor power and bogging down just like before when they had to come out. Blowing increased black smoke, poor power, boggs under load.....last time they said it was the new valves had backed off on the adjustment. Acting the same way today. Total hours since out of the shop is about 5 or so....and the hydraulic oil leak. I plan to call Monday and I want them to pick it up, I don't think I should have to haul it to them since it has not been right I got it back from them. Arggggh....

Tazza

Staff member
Just can't make this up Was running today do some light work, moving limestone rock around. Ran it about 2hrs and it started to have poor power and bogging down just like before when they had to come out. Blowing increased black smoke, poor power, boggs under load.....last time they said it was the new valves had backed off on the adjustment. Acting the same way today. Total hours since out of the shop is about 5 or so....and the hydraulic oil leak. I plan to call Monday and I want them to pick it up, I don't think I should have to haul it to them since it has not been right I got it back from them. Arggggh....
Geez, surely you have used up all your bad luck already?
Do let u sknow how it turns out....

Latest posts