863 issues oil system

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fred cat

I'm working on a 863 with oil cooled deutz
Having low oil pressure, I found a small piece of aluminum in the lower pressure relief this helped, I can run for longer times without coding out but still not sure how to interpret the gauges for pressure and temp.
Where should normal operating level be , two bars-three bars ext temp is at five or six and feels like the engine compartment is too hot and oil cooler feed hose is very hot and cooler shows no sign of heat even ice cold, could the oil cooler be pluged
I understand two different problems or is it connected.any guidance would help

OP
OP
F

fred cat

I believe that is part of the problem
What is the best way to flush the cooler, I was thinking about removing and back flushing with solvent and compressed air repeatedly

cdmccul

I'm not an expert on those coolers, but yea, that should about right. Also make sure the outside isn't stilted up with dirt, etc.

OP
OP
F

fred cat

The outside of the cooler is clean and has no buildup that I can see, feel good air flow even at an idle if there is blockage it is inside

OP
OP
F

fred cat

So I flushed the oil cooler and removed a lot of black scale looking material looks like carbon but not sure, does anyone have an idea where it would come from?
Now having the boss gauge cluster where should the oil pressure and temp gauges be running at while operating? Tia

foton

if it was blocked that bad and overheated over and over again I suppose it could be oil that was cooked. I assume that you are not the first owner so you can never know what has been done in the past.

OP
OP
F

fred cat

if it was blocked that bad and overheated over and over again I suppose it could be oil that was cooked. I assume that you are not the first owner so you can never know what has been done in the past.
That is where I need to learn where the gauge cluster for oil pressure and temp should normally be running. When I was running it before, the temp was running around six bars and oil pressure at two bars now oil pressure is steady at three bars and temp steady at two bars.
Just not sure what normal is

foton

yeah I have never liked that type of display , give me something with numbers on it and preferably in f and psi. If you have room somewhere could you add old style automotive gauges and use both? even if it was temp. in the engine compartment till you saw the range of what the analog ones read as opposed to the factory ones.

OP
OP
F

fred cat

I may end up doing just that at least I do know the warning system is in working order and will alert me if I'm out of range and shut me down

Master_Tech

Contact your local dealer and purchase a workshop manual - pdf download is the cheaper option.

I would not modify or add gauges, keep it simple

Starting with the basics

Example: Do you have any oil in your air filter (possible turbo failure)

OP
OP
F

fred cat

yeah I have never liked that type of display , give me something with numbers on it and preferably in f and psi. If you have room somewhere could you add old style automotive gauges and use both? even if it was temp. in the engine compartment till you saw the range of what the analog ones read as opposed to the factory ones.
I may do that at least for oil pressure and temp thank you

OP
OP
F

fred cat

Contact your local dealer and purchase a workshop manual - pdf download is the cheaper option.

I would not modify or add gauges, keep it simple

Starting with the basics

Example: Do you have any oil in your air filter (possible turbo failure)
Air filter is clean and turbo runs and sounds as should, I feel there is another relief valve stuck open possibly in oil pump, I am going to replace timing belt and oil cooler in the spring. If I am running 30to40 lbs oil pressure will I be able to finish out the winter without further damaging the engine?

foton

I would think so hopefully, is the hours on the timing belt over due? That would be a concern if it is,more so than a few pounds of oil pressure one way or another.

173rdABNVN

I'm thinking the manual calls for replacing the timing belt every 500 hrs. You need a special tool for this. I think I got mine off Amazon

Jim A

I'm working on a 863 with oil cooled deutz
Having low oil pressure, I found a small piece of aluminum in the lower pressure relief this helped, I can run for longer times without coding out but still not sure how to interpret the gauges for pressure and temp.
Where should normal operating level be , two bars-three bars ext temp is at five or six and feels like the engine compartment is too hot and oil cooler feed hose is very hot and cooler shows no sign of heat even ice cold, could the oil cooler be pluged
I understand two different problems or is it connected.any guidance would help
Timing belt Deutz better change asap or disaster...

Lowe.Buuck

This is the only reference I have read on BOSS Engine Temp Indicator.

BOSS Water Temp Gauge
1 Bar cold to 190degrees
2 Bar 190 to 198
3 Bar 198 to 204
4 Bar 204 to 210
5 Bar 210 to 217
6 Bar 217 to 224
7 Bar 224 to 231
8 Bar 230 on up warning sounds
235 engine shutdown

I don't know if the temps are the same on oil cooled engines. You could check with a temp gun.

OP
OP
F

fred cat

I would think so hopefully, is the hours on the timing belt over due? That would be a concern if it is,more so than a few pounds of oil pressure one way or another.
I have no idea on the timing belt hours I have contacted the local bobcat dealer to give a guesstimate on replacement of belt and oil pump with absolutely no reply

Latest posts